ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Copying Data onto External HD

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro
Ok Ive finally got my 120gb external HD and Im having difficulty copying my stuff across.
Im on my mp3s first of all, all 3k of them! It goes fine untill it gets to one song and then kind of gets stuck for about 20s and then goes through the next 5/6 and then gets stuck again. Takes about 3mins to do about 25songs!
Its USB 1.1/2.0 but this old dog only has 1.1 and im running ME. Its fine messing around on the drive though, and listening to the mp3s off it, not slow in that respect.
anything i can do to speed it up or is it just gonna take all day? Too scared to copy the whole folder at once!!!

_phil

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
just copy it all over and leave it on all day and night, seems a bit odd and of course usb 2 would help....

is it a removable drive holder or an actual removable drive? never understood the point of the latter really. but stil if its the former, take it out stick it in the machine as a slave, transfer, then put it back in the removable holder...if it is the latter do what i suggested initally.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
u shud all consider getting removable holders, rather than actualy drives. You buy them for like £40 odd then put any hard drive u want in there...much much better in so many ways...i've got a 300gig backing up EVERYTHING, just in case. love it.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro
Nah im not taking it out of its casing! ive got a 120gig normal HD sat next to me that i ordered wrongly off ebuyer.com! sending it back though.
Theres not really much I can do accept wait and look fwd to USB 2.0 on my new laptop!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Full speed usb (1.1) is only 12mbit/s datarate without overheads.

My headunit has usb to upload to the harddrive and that only manages about 800kb/s.

Got my sleek IcyBox 200GB earlier, looks swish, its pretty cool, all you need really is a HDD and a USB adapter thing, it seems to work fine on my dads PC

However it isn't working on an older 1998 PC where I've stored everything, grrr! Have installed the drivers etc, it seems to register that something is there but theres no icon in My computer..