ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup modding Q’s

I know this should probably be on the other forum but I thought Id get more response here.

I want to change my main and side lights with something that looks like HID/xenon effect. Have looked at PIAA but there main bulbs are around £50-£80 a pair. Any ideas as I dont want to spend this much if the look is crap.

R-sport were telling me the other day that the ecu will not be reno approved so I guess this waiting was a waste of time unless r-sport & reno have not decided but are playing dumb.

Have also decided to get green replacement element but still cant decide on which exhaust to get. Likewise with R-sport or Dastek ecu. Dont know which is best - please help!

Have looked into getting Eibach or Apex springs but need some feedback from other Cup owners on how much they feel the car has improved before I buy. It would be nice if they lowered the car on standard 16s but ride and less roll is more important.

Sorry for adsking so many questions. Any feed back please.

thanks

Hi, for what its worth Ive decided to do the following mods on my cup: k-tec "quieter" exhaust this saturday, Magnex dont do one for the Mk2/cup. Followed by BMC CDA direct induction (because I like the look of it better than the pipercross viper) which I should get in two weeks, followed by Unichip vs R-sport, because the unichip is far more flexible and will allow further tweeking of the car. With a bit of luck, The improved breathing and Unichip should add about 10hp, but more importantly smooth the torque etc. After that is a wait and see game: some people are working on ported heads and claim good improvements and theres always throttle bodies. basically for cup engine mods, I guess a good rule of thumb is £750-1k for the first 10hp, £1.5k for the next 10hp and an extra £2.9kto see you all the way to a 220hp cup. The only problem is that you may need to upgrade the brakes and suspension to cope with the extra power and that can cost you anywhere between £200-£2k. Oh and a couple of grand taking circuit tuition to exploit all the goodies... It just depends how much youre pepared to spend for ever-diminishing bhp/£ returns. Personally Ill see where my zorst/IK/unichip gets me and take it from there. Hope this helps

Cheers Philip.

I asked about the tbs at demon tweeks and the guy asked how I use the car. I said for road use mainly, he laughed and said the car is powerful enough and that tbs are not suitable for road use only. So whats the deal then I though 200bhp in a 172 would be fine for the chassis etc.???

Let me know what the exhaust sounds like. Do you live anywhere near Bucks so i could have a listen when fitted?

K-tec are working on cylinder head & porting, so that will good see what results they get back in the next few weeks

Tappd'd RS

I want to change my main and side lights with something that looks like HID/xenon effect. Have looked at PIAA but there main bulbs are around £50-£80 a pair. Any ideas as I dont want to spend this much if the look is crap.

Phillips Blue Vision! Dunno how good they are but are a good bit cheaper! Ive just replaced the rear and front indicators with Silver Vision and gonna be replacing the headlights with Phillips Vision Plus.

Does anyone know if these silver vision bulbs are available from Reno, if not where can they be purchased from?

And how easy are they to fit!

Slugger,

Do you want to meet up so I can have a listen?

I work in Linford Wood at NHBC, just up from where the old reno site use to be. You can call me at work on 01908 223781.

I suppose you know floyd then? Im checking his Cup out on Friday morning at 8.30 before work as he has fitted an exhaust, induction plus the infamous r-sport ecu. So will let peeps know what i think.

S2000

Ben yeah I know Floyd I should be able to come along on Friday actually so I guess ill see you there.

Wayne

No probs Wayne. Ill be there around 8.30 in the morning on Friday. Ive just got to remember to go to the new reno site in wolverton and not the old one.:confused:

Its about time i met another fellow Cup owner.

demon tweeks....tbs not for road use...bollox.

Exactly. Some days I think i end up speaking to complete wan*ers who dont have the time of day. He wouldnt even explain why they werent suitable. It pis*es me off loads when you talk to people like this. You would expect them to be as enthusiastic as you.:mad:

Ben j - what do you mean?:confused:

ok, in order

- Ben S: TBs not for road use: Agree with you, thats double bo**ocks. Guys in France have been driving on a technomap 220 bhp kit for ages and that includes TBs, ported/flowed head, new cams, cat bypass etc etc and theyre well happy with the cars. A proper TB conversion should not affect driveability. You can sometimes get arrogant tw*ts who think you cant afford the £3k for TBs and patronise you about the stuff. Ive spoken to several outfits about TBs and they were all very nice: ND Hill, Owen Developments, Prima etc

-Fred2001: Magnex dont do a Mk2 version yet. T-Mike says hes got a Mark1 fitted ok, something to do with the pipe run length. In any case Ive been convinced by David at K-tec that their new exhaust is much much quieter than the previously demonic "rally-special", we get a discount and the guys at K-tec seem to be a good bunch, sooo they get my business this week-end. Also, I can check out latest progress on their head development (hehe always an ulterior motive :D)

- Finally, Ben S I live in London so Bucks isnt a million miles away. Maybe we can organise a meet for the area??

Oh and I kept the best for last.. Jas tells me Im a member from tonight . Yessamundo!

I need to get my membership stuff sorted out.

I dont see many Cups around these parts. If i do i always look out for the cliosport badge, but the 172s never seem to have one, so i guess there not members on here.

The TB thing isnt b****cks. Fuel consumption will be bad and day to day driving in traffic queues will be an arse.

It all depends on your tolerance level but to be honest its not worth doing any mods unless you go on track, in fact its much more cost effective to spend your money on the brakes and suspension. As philip also mentioned, driving tuition can help you get more out of your car than throwing a few grand at the engine. I am not aiming this at ANYONE but people are quick to blame there car for being too slow when they should look at themselves. If people spend money on their cars to make them go really fast on the road it means they overtake more, it also makes them take more risks and makes them more dangerous. I know what im saying is controversial but its just my general opinion on the whole modyfying thing. I think its a credit to demon tweeks that the bloke gave an honest opinion rather than saying "yeah gimme a few grand and well do it".

-Rob

good points Rob. None of us can speak for day to day driveability with TBs on Clios - unless Roamers finally fitted his:D. Youre probably right that consumption and slightly worse reliability may be an issue, but Ive been emailing a few very happy TB clio users abroad who have very complex mods in addition to TBs. They use their cars for town driving (ones in Paris, so that has to be a test).

Personally Im sitting on the fence and I want to see a decent outfit in the UK produce a TB conversion for 172s before I go that far. I think that a well spent £2k will see the car through to 200hp easy, spending another £3k for TBs? Dunno, I could pay for a lot of track time with that, and you dont lose the experience when you sell the car

I asked Brun (our chief discount officer ;) Brun are you on?) if he could get us discounts off track day tuition etc, which would be worth every penny and great fun.

I simply wont be able to afford it all anway, which has its benefits, i can wait to see what happens, hopefully someone will offer a full TB conversion over here soon.

Personally i think this club should get more involved with EVO magazine, big fans of the Clios, to see if they can aid us in showing just how much demand there is.

My plans are to fit bigger brakes..ideally AP Racing and some more track biased Yoko rubber, then ill check out what everyone else is doing.

-Rob

Having more power in my case would not necessarily lead to more over taking but would definately give me an even bigger buzz when accelerating hard.

Rob - ask any 172/Cup driver, if they are behind a slowist driver on safe road, you cant help but plant the throttle and listen to the grunt of the engine as you fly pass them.

Will settle for exhaust, chip & green element for now until as Philip said i see more companies and cars with tbs/head work done this year with positive results.

i woudlnt bother with any crap like TBs buy a faster car which is tested for reliability, or just stick some eibachs on lower it and get a zorst

Hehehe I see its all going off again LoL ;)

172man - Ive done the exhaust/induction/ecu route as far as that can go, and very good for the money, but I want more grunt than it can give me. Eibach Pro-kit are bloody good springs and a very worth-while investment, as is good rubber (never skimp on your rubber, its the only thing keeping you on the road ;)) but TBs aint crap as you say, reliability should not be an issue if they are properly setup in the first place, you are simply using 4 bodies instead of one, with all accessories upgraded to suit and an ECU fully mapped to extract the max out of the kit, I cant see how it will affect normal driving.

Philip - Im on the case dont worry, just got off the phone to one place who are very knowledgable in this area and it looks like things will start to move in two weeks time :D

RB5 & 172

anyone been running on eibachs for awhile? just wanted to know if the car still feeld as good as it did when they were first fitted?

RB5 & 172

t_mike, i know youve probably been asked this loads but whats your car handle like now. is it really firm, whats it like on rough b roads for example does it crash and bang over the bumps or is it still comfy?

reason i ask is i want to slam my mk1 but the last car i slammed ended up with no damping at all and just frove me mad when others were in the car as they just moaned.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Handling is much improved, firmer, but somehow more comfortable as it doesnt bounce as much on rough surfaces. The Eibachs dont lower the car an awful lot (about 30mm) - just think of them as better quality springs. I dont get any complaints from passengers!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by jimblive on 24 April 2003

how much were to get fitted? (the eibachs)
£40 at a local garage, then £28 to get the wheel alignment put right (you MUST do this).

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

2 weeks eh roamer? keepin it close to ur chest? cmon giz sum details..gimme gimme gimme he he, and hey if ur in for spendin 2 or 3 k more on ur car ur not to concerned about rising fuel bills if that was the case for ur tb or turbo. im sure most would like a faster "tested" car...but why should we when for example bb r offering under 10k for a 0-60 time of 5secs ish sure ud have to spend a couple more for decent brakes, styling etc but...its more fun to c the look on sum rich feckers face when u zoom past his playboy toy in ur lil ol clio. :oops: whoever is visitin david at k-tek...stick a post on bout the head development pls, as i rang last month n he said ring again mid may, my hard earned queens english coin is burnin a hole in my sky rocket

yes roamer, cough up or well beat it out of you :sick:. ND Hill maybe? (he he I know Nick was sniffing around Jenveys re developing a manifold). Ill report back after my trip to K-tec re head and new zorst

i love it how people wait and wait and wait till somebody else does it........lol

Top man Roamer, ill have to talk you into paying for me to develop my new TB design........better than those tapered ones. ;)