ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danith's 2019 MX5 ND2 184 Sport Nav +

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
Hi all,

So I was going to have a good explore, clean and tinker with the new toy today, but rain has stopped play. So thought I'd get a thread going to document the ownership of my new (hopefully) long termer, which replaces my trusty old preface Ep3 track car that I had for 9 eventful years.

After selling the Civic I wanted something a lot newer and fairly different from my usual FWD hot hatch formula, but still retained the old school characteristics that the Ep3 had. These being:

- Fun
- Non wallet-busting running costs
- Naturally aspirated
- Lightweight (or at least lightweight compared to the generic modern stuff we have now)
- Revvy
- RWD
- On par with the Ep3, performance wise
- Would fit in my little garage (integral single)

After a lot of consideration over Christmas and lockdown, I found myself looking at the Elise's (111r, Series 3 Toyota engined variants). But after looking at a couple of 111r, I decided that they're too old for me to cope with OCD stuff (rattles/age related defects/not so good build quality) and a nightmare to get in and out of. Plus the thought of crashing one and facing a repair bill for the tub/bodywork was eye watering.

GT86 - real bargains, still new enough, great fun and decent performance. However it'd be a squeeze in my garage and I heard a lot of horror stories of engine seizure due to some 'spring recall' and oil starvation. With them being out of warranty, I'd just be worried about it all the time. So that was those ruled out.

Then I started looking at the MX5 ND (mk4). Love the look of them, but MX5 are always notorious for being pretty slow. Fun, but slow. Doing a little more research I found that the MX5 ND was much more of a thought out generation. Focus was very much on lightweight and simplicity - with the original Lotus Elan as it's inspiration. They use a lot of aluminium parts for strength and weight savings, the gearbox was totally revised to shave off a few KG from the previous NC version. The roof is a doddle to put up and down too. Anyway, the original plan for the ND was to just have a revvy 1.5 unit, but then the American market wasn't happy and demanded a 2.0 version. So Mazda chucked in a 2.0 from the rest of the range to keep the USA market happy. However there was no where near as much development that went into the 2.0 as they had done on the bespoke 1.5.

So along came the ND2 - 2019 onwards (68 plate onward I believe). This was an entirely reworked and bespoke 2.0 engine for the MX5. Lightened pistons, rods, larger intake manifold, etc etc, resulted in an increase of 6,800 rpm in the ND1 to 7,500 rpm in the ND2. Inadvertently the power was pushed up as a result from 160 bhp to 181 bhp (184 PS).

I guess you can see where I'm going with this, with a much more 'K20' style rev limit, 180 bhp and only 1050kg, I was in. The hunt was on for an ND2 and the Civic was put up for sale.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
The car itself. Considered a few private sales, but with it being summer, the ND2 being the more desirable and rarer car and the £5k price increase introduced on new MX5's by Mazda in 2019 (emissions, blah blah blah), it was hard to find one at a price I was happy with. In fact it was hard to find one at all.

Then this one came up at a Mazda dealership in Taunton. First glance I wasn't keen as looked to have been too messed with and probably ragged to death/tracked from new. However I dropped them an email. Got a call back from the sales guy at the dealership, who informed me that it was actually his car and he'd bought it from new. When asked about the mods, it turned out he's not a track head at all, just a bit of an enthusiast who wanted to change the car aesthetically to make it stand out. And he was clearly very OCD (won't share the threads as it might land him in bother with his job) but he was a regular poster on forums and YT to progress his modifications (most of which were done before the car had even been registered). Got a lift down yesterday and straight away I could tell it was a very well looked after car. No stone chips, perfect wheels, new OEM S001 Bridgestone Tyres, ceramic coated. All the parts, bar the rear diffuser and backbox are genuine Mazda (expensive) options.

So I struck a deal, blagged some new OEM mats and off I went. Back home via the Cotswolds with a stop over at Caffeine & Machine to meet an old mate. Absolutely brilliant car/drive on motorways and on B roads it's something else. Such a fun car, planted, quick and great on fuel (averaged 45 mpg for 350 mixed miles home)

Spec is as follows:

2019 2.0 ND2 184 engine
Sport Nav + (so comes with LSD, Bilstein suspension, Leather seats with BOSE speakers in headrests, Nav, LED lights, reverse sensors, etc)
Mazda Eibach springs
Arctic white
Full Mazda Aero kit (splitter/skirts/spoiler - not the rear diffuser though)
Zunsport lower grille (looks better and protects the radiator from stones)
Ulter backbox (6kg weight saving) with rear diffuser
BBS CS4 OEM Mazda black alloys (17 x 7j et45)
Bridgestone Turanza S001 205 45 17
Android auto Mazda retrofit (£350 option)
MX5 parts reversing camera
Delrin upgraded door bushes
Black badges
Carbon DRL covers (painted black!!)

Plans - obviously:

Refit OEM badges
Remove the DRL covers
Repaint the calipers silver
Replace the BBS with some lightweight wheels in 17 x 8 (not a fan of black wheels, but these are really nice wheels to be fair)
PS4 tyres
Put some plain plates on

Last edited:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
IMG_20210522_222702.jpg
IMG_20210522_194256.jpg
IMG_20210522_130210.jpg
IMG_20210523_103925.jpg
IMG_20210522_222733.jpg
IMG_20210523_105453.jpg
IMG-20210522-WA0017.jpg

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
It's really nice! Bet it drives nice as I haven't driven a Mazda that doesn't the Mrs 2 drives nice and good fun to drive spirited and even the 8 seat Biante is fairly decent given its size.
Mazda parts prices are also very wallet friendly.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
Quick spin out today. Started removing one of the front eyebrow thingies, but of Tiger seal to shift though! Bugger. They look OK but think they'd be better if they were smaller, so taking them off.

It's so much fun, absolutely mad how it seems to come alive down a b road. Gearbox is super slick too.

IMG_20210523_163723_629.jpg
IMG_20210523_163723_643.jpg
IMG_20210523_142618.jpg

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
You finally got one then ! 😂👍

The ND is a great car, I really liked mine. Just gave me back ache as the seats in mine had no lumber support.

Gearbox and steering is fantastic.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Love it.

I really want one of these. Except I’m poor, can’t afford to run two cars and whatever I have needs a boot bigger than a matchbox. *sigh*

Buccal

ClioSport Club Member
  AMG
Looks great! I would love an ND but as a daily I need the bit more space in an NC.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
That’s a cracking looking motor. Kinda lost interest in the later MX5 versions - big mistake. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

370Z, Fiesta ST2
Looks great - I took my dad to pick up an 18 plate 1.5 Sport Nav a few weeks back, coming from a MK2.5 he is really chuffed with it too.

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks fantastic!

I loved my NC2 - I can only imagine how much better this must feel.

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
One thing to note with these, the cabin is small. Very small. I’m 6ft and any taller would have been a no go IMO. The seats aren’t height adjustable (well my SE spec one wasn’t) and my knees weren’t far from the steering wheel. Designed for the smaller gentleman 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
One thing to note with these, the cabin is small. Very small. I’m 6ft and any taller would have been a no go IMO. The seats aren’t height adjustable (well my SE spec one wasn’t) and my knees weren’t far from the steering wheel. Designed for the smaller gentleman 😂

Yes I had to test fit myself in one a while ago. They are certainly snug! I'm just shy of 6ft and 15st and find it comfy enough. Got a good inch or 2 off the roof and I don't have the seat right back (only about 5cm left to go though). You can buy lowered seat rails, if you really need to. They're about £150 quid.

The other big plus on the ND2 is that it has a height and rake adjustable steering wheel. The older ND1 only has height and it's a big gripe, apparently. So Mazda put this on the ND2.

Going to order some new wheels this week. Already got a load of MX5 dudes wanting my BBS', so hopefully it'll be of minimal cost to get some new ones.

Going for Konig Hypergrams (although the ampliforms look ok, but they don't clear big brake kits - if I wanted to do this at a later stage). Not sure which finish to get though, Bronze or the carbon/polished. What do the CS gods think? 6 week wait either way.

hypergram-bronze_40574_600.jpg
mx5-nd-fiat-124-konig-hypergram-17x8-4x100-et45-carbon-w-machined-lip-[3]-3740-p.jpg
konig-hypergram-17x8-wheels-4-x100-45mm-2803-p.jpg
mx5-nd-fiat-124-konig-hypergram-17x8-4x100-et45-carbon-w-machined-lip-[4]-3740-p.jpg
konig-hypergram-17x8-wheels-4-x100-45mm-[5]-2803-p.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
Super light too. 7kg a rim!

can't seem to find out what these BBS CS4 weigh. They're a Mazda specific 7j et45 I think. Must be 9kg+

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Love it! Also love it as is with all the black trinkets.

I bet its so much more engaging than the ep3, and not much slower in a straight line.

As good as they were 20 years ago, these days the ep3 is well....IMO a bit shite. A 1*2 has aged so much better for me. Being over 1200kg the ep3 needs £1000's thrown at them to be anywhere near modern warm/hot hatches pace wise, and the handling is just something I've never rated, even the new one I had years ago, the steering was terrible, seating position poor, steering wheel angle bus like. 20 years on, now most are terminal rust boxes chassis rigidity will be an issue too. The engine and box are nice units but are much better suited to the DC5 chassis IMO.

Anyway, enough ep3 bashing.

When's this seeing a track?

Bronze for the wheels too (y)

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and another thing, you’ll definitely need a brake pad/fluid upgrade for track. I boiled my brakes in about 5 or 6 laps at Blyton last year and they never came back until a few days later. Driving home with no brakes is always fun.

They go great though and much drifting 😎

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I really like this. Sits great and the exhaust seems to transform the rear.

Good buy. Shame I’ll never fit in one. Always makes me sad that I’ll never experience MX5 ownership.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
All those who say they won't/don't fit - have you sat in one? I fit in this perfectly, roof down or up and don't even have the seat fully back.

My brother was a passenger too and we weren't rubbing shoulders or owt. Was perfectly comfortable.

As said, I'm just under 15st, 36" waist, 5' 11.5", 2" penis, and fairly broad shoulders.

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
All those who say they won't/don't fit - have you sat in one? I fit in this perfectly, roof down or up and don't even have the seat fully back.

My brother was a passenger too and we weren't rubbing shoulders or owt. Was perfectly comfortable.

As said, I'm just under 15st, 36" waist, 5' 11.5", 2" penis, and fairly broad shoulders.
Show off

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I’m 6ft 5 and 18.5 stone.

I’ve tried. And failed.

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I really like this. Sits great and the exhaust seems to transform the rear.

Good buy. Shame I’ll never fit in one. Always makes me sad that I’ll never experience MX5 ownership.

I'm the same, I'd love to own one but would never fit.
I remember going passenger in one before and had to have roof down and my eye level was where the top part of windscreen frame was 🤣

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
Yes I had to test fit myself in one a while ago. They are certainly snug! I'm just shy of 6ft and 15st and find it comfy enough. Got a good inch or 2 off the roof and I don't have the seat right back (only about 5cm left to go though). You can buy lowered seat rails, if you really need to. They're about £150 quid.

The other big plus on the ND2 is that it has a height and rake adjustable steering wheel. The older ND1 only has height and it's a big gripe, apparently. So Mazda put this on the ND2.

Going to order some new wheels this week. Already got a load of MX5 dudes wanting my BBS', so hopefully it'll be of minimal cost to get some new ones.

Going for Konig Hypergrams (although the ampliforms look ok, but they don't clear big brake kits - if I wanted to do this at a later stage). Not sure which finish to get though, Bronze or the carbon/polished. What do the CS gods think? 6 week wait either way.

View attachment 1540185View attachment 1540186View attachment 1540187View attachment 1540188View attachment 1540189

Apparently the polished rim is the lightest of the 3 options. So that's swaying me towards those to be honest. Only thing putting me off is keeping the polished lip clean.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2 & VRs 230
Ordered the bronze. The shiny lip will no doubt be a PITA to keep clean and only 0.25kg lighter. 6 week wait!

Saved myself £110 on the train ticket down to Taunton as my bro owed me a favour. So obvs I had to have a look on MX5 parts.

Ordered the genuine sill covers, a better bee sting aerial and a new genuine Skyactive badge for the back - as the DIY paint on the old one, was turd.

1621870772149.png