ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dann2707's BMW 335D E91 Touring

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I paid £300 quid to get my zf8 done by local gearbox guy, from memory the genuine kit was almost 200 quid, which he used, no brainer at that cost, also unless u know what your doing its difficult to drain the torque convertor, so u end up leaving old oil in.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Clutch A is quite high for pressure, the limit is -400mbar to +350mbar according to ZF, so I would look at getting the oil changed, as that should come down. But I'd also do a few miles to let the XHP map settle down and take the readings again to compare.

The rest of the pressures look good though, it's usually clutch D or E that's the highest one weirdly, as they're the higher load conditions.

Clutches B & E are slightly high for shift time, but still not bad and they're well within limits, but should improve with an oil change.

The pressures & times vary for each clutch though, it's not standard value across the board, these are the "normal" operating figures from ZF, however the gearbox will still work properly up to +700mbar apparently!

Clutch A: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -40ms to +120ms
Clutch B: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -60ms to +100ms
Clutch C: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -50ms to +120ms
Clutch D: -300mbar to +200 mbar / -300ms to +200ms
Clutch E: -300mbar to +300 mbar / not provided for some reason

For comparison my 330d's gearbox adaptations are:

Clutch A: +48mbar / +16ms
Clutch B: -46mbar / +31ms
Clutch C: -31mbar / +2ms
Clutch D: -240mbar / 0ms
Clutch E: +238mbar / +28ms

That's never had an oil change either, currently on 114k miles.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Clutch A is quite high for pressure, the limit is -400mbar to +350mbar according to ZF, so I would look at getting the oil changed, as that should come down. But I'd also do a few miles to let the XHP map settle down and take the readings again to compare.

The rest of the pressures look good though, it's usually clutch D or E that's the highest one weirdly, as they're the higher load conditions.

Clutches B & E are slightly high for shift time, but still not bad and they're well within limits, but should improve with an oil change.

The pressures & times vary for each clutch though, it's not standard value across the board, these are the "normal" operating figures from ZF, however the gearbox will still work properly up to +700mbar apparently!

Clutch A: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -40ms to +120ms
Clutch B: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -60ms to +100ms
Clutch C: -400mbar to +350 mbar / -50ms to +120ms
Clutch D: -300mbar to +200 mbar / -300ms to +200ms
Clutch E: -300mbar to +300 mbar / not provided for some reason

For comparison my 330d's gearbox adaptations are:

Clutch A: +48mbar / +16ms
Clutch B: -46mbar / +31ms
Clutch C: -31mbar / +2ms
Clutch D: -240mbar / 0ms
Clutch E: +238mbar / +28ms

That's never had an oil change either, currently on 114k miles.
I’m going to have a look in a test module when I’m back at work to see if it tells you the pressures on ISTA. Always interesting to see the numbers.

I know we can reset adaptation values, but on the auto box they always say it’s a no no due to wear levels in the box. I think it will be more likely that the oil deteriorates tbh.

At least I can do a direct comparison on my 30D before and after an oil change on the ZF. 👍🏻

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Might be possible with ISTA, not something I've seen as I've not used it as much as I have used INPA & DIS, but you can use the XHP app to read the adaptation values for free, which is what I used, no need to pay for that function.

Be interesting to compare before & after values though, I suppose it depends how bad it is to start with...

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So i've been investigating the ABS sensor fault that came up again and delved into it a little bit more tonight using INPA.

I've logged the wheel speeds during a quick drive and identified that the rear right isn't doing much at all.

1630607412450.png

When stood still the sensor is reading really random figures whilst the others are reading 0, it's blipping to 30, then 12, then 70 etc.

I could really prove that it's the sensor by swapping the sensors over and watch the fault follow it over to the left side however i'm just going to bruy a new sensor.

I've seen on the earlier models that the abs rings caused a load of issues but BMW resolved this by fitting bearing reluctor rings all around on the late 2010 models.

I'll get a part ordered and repeat the test.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@Rich-D do you know if the rear abs sensors are different for driveshaft reluctor rings and wheel bearing type ones?

My rears don't have the metal driveshaft reluctor rings, the bearing ring provides the data. Just not sure if the sensors are the same.

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
@Rich-D do you know if the rear abs sensors are different for driveshaft reluctor rings and wheel bearing type ones?

My rears don't have the metal driveshaft reluctor rings, the bearing ring provides the data. Just not sure if the sensors are the same.

Just check on real oem?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

You can check part numbers on realoem as above, but I used the Pagid ones from Eurocarparts, it goes off your reg so should be the correct one.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to order all the entire suspension and coolant system parts for my E34 using RealOEM for part numbers to order from BMW or Autodoc and everything fitted first time, didn't even take things off to compare sizes or items, was basically totally blind doing it in hope it all fitted. The exploded drawings are really good at working out the order of things are fitted and what parts are needed.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I can't tell you how many times I've been working on something and cursed because there is no RealOEM equivalent for a certain brand so I can't look at exploded drawings!

This website is alright for a few other brands inc Renault :):

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Servicing all done bar the fuel filter because I have been given the wrong one sadly. Nice and easy to get to though for when I get the new one.

Review on the mityvac - probably absolutely awesome on a level floor but it only managed to pull about half the oil out so I returned to the classic way. Waste of £93 for me, unless I was to get it in the garage.

Overall a nice easy job and the oil filter in a housing makes it so much easier than screw on type filters.

IMG_20210904_124134.jpg
IMG_20210904_120523.jpg
IMG_20210904_120139.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Overall a nice easy job and the oil filter in a housing makes it so much easier than screw on type filters.

Unless you've got a B58 and the filter housing breaks in the engine on every other oil service. I wouldn't touch the one on our BMW altough I think they are now on version 3 of the filter..

Nice job in the servicing though, test driven a 335d x drive recently and that was a beast!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Small update as such.

The car has been approved for the Tailgate rust repair which is properly sexy news. Really happy about that so I'm going to be dropping it off next Saturday morning.

I've really just been churning out the miles driving to and fro work. Absolutely loving it and it's doing exactly what I want it to do.

My next thing to tick off is getting an android unit but I'm not sure which one I want. There are so many to choose from at varying prices.

I took a s**t picture of it and parked next to another e91 at Ikea today.

Bought a huge mirror and it swallowed it up with absolute ease haha

I know I've bought the right car as I always turn around and look at it in car parks 😂

IMG_20211010_160709.jpg
IMG_20211017_142845.jpg