ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY 16v/Williams Cambelt change

I’m struggling to find a likely candidate to change my cam belt and I’m weighing up the pro’s and cons of trying it myself, My limited knowledge suggests it’s a matter of supporting the engine via trolley jack block of wood on the sump, removing the big mount on the left, loosening the others and tilting the engine to remove the covers etc, then slip the belt off remove the tensioner / idler, new belt and back together?? I should be able to get it too TBC easy enough and then there’s not too much to get wrong? I havn’t got any means of holding the cams in place??
Maybe I could remove the covers etc and then get a mechanic to slip the belt etc on??

Right, i replaced my head because of the cam belt and it aint easy. You have the right idea - Remove the drivers side support clamp, raise the engine about 3-4 inches using a jack and then lower it onto some wood. Then set to work. You will need to remove the drivers side headlight so that you can get easy access to the belt(s). The problem of course is that you will need to set about removing the rocker cover and the covers that surround the cam belt. Be careful not to muck up any wiring coz there is a lot of it around there. Remove anything that may be in the way..... When i replaced my belt i just cut through the alternator belt coz it really gets in the way and then replaced it when i needed the car back on the road. Remove ure cam belt - pressumably its broke and then get a haynes manual to have a diagram of the way the new one should go in. MAke sure all the timing marks are correct and then fit it. You will have to make sure its tight but the haynes manual will tell you how that works better than i can explain.... One more thing - remove the drivers front wheel coz u will need to be under the car for some of the fitting. Hope this helps, as you can see im bored and at work... ah, they are lucky to have me....

U have the right idea mate - you will need to remove the drivers front wheel and headlight. REmove the bonet and have easy access to the underside of the car. Mount the engine on wood and off you go. The covers are difficult to get on and off but once you have, the fun really begins. Presumably ure cam belt is broke so remove that and then start fitting the new one. Bare in mind that the main cog will have to be loosened off so that it can move up and down for you to get the belt over and then tightened back up again so that the cog moves upwards to tension the belt. Sure that doesnt make sense but its all straight forward in the haynes. Bare in mind that the alternator belt will probably be in the way for much of this - i just cut mine to get to the cam belt and then replaced it again. Sure you havent done any damage to the head when ure belt went?

Quote: Originally posted by toms123 on 02 February 2004

Sure you havent done any damage to the head when ure belt went?
it sounds like hes changing the belt due to mileage or unsure of engines last belt change

yes from bristol and the belt needs doing on time rather then mileage.

this is the 3rd belt ive had done on a 16v/williams and im using up all my favours. first two i paid 100 quid plus belt but they are not willing to do it again!

Quote: Originally posted by 16v - 2.0 on 02 February 2004

yes from bristol and the belt needs doing on time rather then mileage.

this is the 3rd belt ive had done on a 16v/williams and im using up all my favours. first two i paid 100 quid plus belt but they are not willing to do it again!

id do it for 100 quid if ya were close to me! ;)

It just takes a SAturday and good weather - dont worry about trying to do it ureself coz once u have done it once it just gets easier! MY belt snapped and i had to replace the head - wish i had, had the foresight like you to change it before that happend i can tell ya!!!