ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

RB 182 FF
Fair play to you, the time and dedication to this RB is epic.... Awesome job on all fronts, and frigg me do I like the look of Clios on 2118's.... (y)👌

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I had the same idea for doing the sill jack up points, I've had all the stuff for months and still haven't had time to do it.... My winter jobs list is Loooooooooong.... Lovely looking RB mate...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play to you, the time and dedication to this RB is epic.... Awesome job on all fronts, and frigg me do I like the look of Clios on 2118's.... (y)👌

Thanks mate. And yes, the 2118s are the best 15" wheel for the ph2s I think.

Still no recaro's? Pics in the sun look great Mark 👍.

Not yet bud. Maybe some day but not soon. Thanks Paul.

Such a cool laboured love dude. Looking great as usual.
Props on the cleaning kit win, what a result. 🙂👌🏼

Thanks Frayz. Yeah I didnt expect it so it did come as a surprise when I see they replied. Always thankful and itll definitely come in handy.

Awesome mark. Top pics.

Thanks Dan.

I had the same idea for doing the sill jack up points, I've had all the stuff for months and still haven't had time to do it.... My winter jobs list is Loooooooooong.... Lovely looking RB mate...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Haha, all jobs are forever grounding bud. You know that!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
A truly epic car and such an in-depth and informative thread that’s a bloody gold mine of information on owning, maintaining and modifying a Clio 182!!

A real credit to you @Dr Jekyll

Thank you very much Steve. I appreciate the kind words. As a daily user, I cant afford to have this off the road. If it was a spare car, then I would love to spend more time on it. I am limited to how much I can do in a certain time frame. Thankfully I have a great wife who's quite understanding and helps me if I need her car, etc.

But I "mostly" enjoy it and I actually enjoy the taking of pics and updated the progress thread. It's nice to actually go back and read what I've done and written.

It was also great to meet you the other day 👍

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I bet you miss tinkering with it as much now that you've practically been through the whole car over the last couple of years Mark. The old tin certainly is a credit to you mate👍.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Got the new Cliosport calendar and was pleased to find not only the RB in there a few times, but a few of my other pictures too! I wont soil it for now, but will leave these 2 here as we are in january.

49266062831_b20bfc153e_z.jpg

49265598528_0c2a8ec550_z.jpg

Over the xmas period, i cleaned up the garage and put my stuff in there. Its quite limited as there is no electric or lighting, but im happy and after the little work ive done, its a lot better. I decided to paint the walls white to brighten it up. Added membrane to the ceiling to stop damp and debris falling down onto the car. I used expanding foam to fill in the gaps, made a strip to go over the front to shorten the gap and painted it white, then added a shelving unit and made some shelves to help storing some bits/man stuff i have at home. Then a general tidy up. Ill paint the floor in the summertime once the weather is better.

49266060081_9610f50e0b_z.jpg

49266251022_77b2dcc42f_z.jpg

49266060236_275166eb06_z.jpg

49266060536_041defc1bd_z.jpg

49288513958_a177733c08_z.jpg

49288997921_61733f7905_z.jpg

49311042048_b90c744a50_z.jpg

49347719776_8f131ae7b9_z.jpg

49347928747_de56fa6d19_z.jpg

49347719226_7e0167b83f_z.jpg

49347719446_601c5eeb9d_z.jpg

Gave the RB a much needed clean.

49288519513_029bf1bca2_z.jpg

49289214237_4c1c5f40c7_z.jpg

49288519403_4796a2c21e_z.jpg

49288520268_d21bc72d96_z.jpg

49288520298_9af6cbd0d8_z.jpg

49289003641_c67d0a7b98_z.jpg

49288520648_3cdefa2134_z.jpg

Met up with Steve @MrBlonde to do a few jobs on he's 182.

49289211952_4858fa92cd_z.jpg

49289000686_e1b8954902_z.jpg

Picked up some bits from a chap that was breaking a 172 locally.

49391598731_42f790199a_z.jpg

49391806077_266e532c63_z.jpg

49391803287_53299c8a5c_z.jpg

Its not genuine, but that doesnt matter to me. Better than the cracked one i had. Had to buy an adapter for it too as it was M6 Female and mine was M5 male, but that was only a couple of quid off ebay.

Ever since ive done the side bullets silver, i felt that i need to change the interior panels to a lighter colour. So i did this also. It does brighten it up, but im not entirely sold on the colour. I cant put my finger on it as to why though. I now have my old ones spare so i will do them either iceberg silver (the same as the bullets, marks badboy grey (the same as my inlets) or another grey which we have some pare at work, which i believe is the 197 wheel colour. Not sure yet.

49391448602_332dd8c8d2_z.jpg
Interior panels colour change by Mark Abbott, on Flickr

49391448617_8b5a0a8671_z.jpg
49391448702_d7b63d40a8_z.jpg
49390776448_7979771ff6_z.jpg
49390776303_18b1f51d85_z.jpg
49391449457_4eb029f15e_z.jpg
Was out over the weekend and the sun was out so i quickly stopped off to get some pics while the car was clean.
49377543091_5da057a80f_z.jpg
49377542996_fa4fb81506_z.jpg
And all parked away.
49377543216_54ff25e2e7_z.jpg
Bought a new M5 - M6 adapter for the aerial and fitted that.
49391453897_0474aaae7e_z.jpg
49391258066_f2fc4851e5_z.jpg
And blacked my rear seat belt covers.
49390784758_0934cccb31_z.jpg

The next big thing is to look into getting the belts done as they'll be due this year. Ill get that done by Alex @ AW Motorworks.Lasty, a good friend of mine has a 172 cup. He bought it off Steve @ R-sports a few years ago (5 or so?) I always joked about getting 1st refusal. Well he's situation has changed and he needs a more economical car. Having known him for ages, and also done various bits to it over the years for free (he's not mechanically minded) he has offered it to me at a bargain price, which ive said i'll take it. Now my first thought was to break it, but quickly decided against that as i dont want a broken car hanging around. My next option was to do it up a tad and sell it on, making a profit. But then i had a mad thought about doing it up and actually keeping it and then selling the RB. As i can use the RB daily still, im thinking of painting it at work like i did with the RB and getting it looking good. These are just thoughts at the moment so im not sure what to do. Part of me fancies a cup and it'll be something new. I like its simplicity and what they are and i love the look of them OEM with subtle mods like coilovers/spacers and xenons, but still rocking the silver turinis (This one is monial blue). But im not sure i can part ways with the RB as i love it and have done a fair bit too it! Cup is on 90k, RB is on 140k. Pro's and cons too both decisions and work needed on both cars. Tough call, but either way, (although its not set in stone) if all goes well, i'll be getting a cup to have a free play with. Watch this space....

Attachments

• 49391448602_332dd8c8d2_z.jpg
    49391448602_332dd8c8d2_z.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good! How did you make those seat belt covers black again?

Love the pieces of wood to park the car against!

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Mega update as usual mate. Have to agree on the calenders, although we're rather biased. Keep the Cup as a restoration project, I've actually just picked one up too..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good! How did you make those seat belt covers black again?

Love the pieces of wood to park the car against!

Thanks mate. They certainly help as sometimes it can be a bit hard to judge. I had these as ramps but they've never been used so I made use for them in another way 👍

Also, it's a bad pic but I used this stuff as I had it kicking around.

forever-black-dye-kit-trim-and-bumpers-415-1-p.jpg

Mega update as usual mate. Have to agree on the calenders, although we're rather biased. Keep the Cup as a restoration project, I've actually just picked one up too..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks bud.

Oh nice. I'd like to keep both but storage and what not is not ideal. I do honestly believe that the 172 cups will be worth some money in the near future.

I don’t know what to reply to this as I’m currently in mourning at the possible loss of the RB. 😢

I think my mind says cup, but my heart says keep the RB. It's the little things that's been done that I forget/people dont notice, such as new pedal plates, sensors, genuine driveshafts/handbrake cables, etc. I know that there probably been more done to this tha I can remember so I think I will keep the RB. Nothing is set in stone anyway but the thought of changing did cross my mind.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It was just a thought. And reality is that mileage will put people off or at least hinder the value. No matter the condition, itll never fetch big bucks and is worth more to me, than it is to sell. Was looking at it today and all the interior, barring a few cracks in the leather bolsters, is excellent condition. Body work is still in great condition considering it's done 13k since it was painted. I'm biased but I think it's one of the better ones out there and shows some of the lesser mileage ones up. Yes its needs work, here there and everywhere. Theres always something to do and I'm always going to be unhappy with bits of it. But it is used and is to be expected.

I think the cup would be cool and it's always nice to start a new project as its exciting, but I think the grass wont be greener. I regret letting my old ph1 go and that had a LOT of work done to it. The RB is similar so seems silly to let it go I think. Let's be honest, if I hadn't got offered the cup, I'd of still continued the maintenance and tinkering on the RB.

If/when I get the cup, I'll do some work to it (at work after hours and weekends) and then sell it on. But the thought did sound interesting and I do think that they will become quite collective in a few years time.

In other news, I've spoke to Alex at AW Motorsport and I've got a price to have Cambelt and Aux belt kit, dephaser pulley, water pump and coolant. So once I get a few pennies saved, I'll drop him a message in the next few months. I'd of needed to do the above before I sold it anyway, but itll be for keeps.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Selling it for something that’s a significant step up would be understandable. Hard to do but understandable.
But to sell it for another Clio would be bonkers... even a Trophy wouldn’t come close IMO.

You’ve done/fixed/refurbished/improved every area that funds have so far allowed. So unless you have a massive funds injection at the same time as getting the new one it would be like starting all over again to get to this point.

They always feel better with fresh belts anyway, perhaps ask Alex to alter the timing to the GRP N settings and have it mapped too. 😁

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
As others have said don’t do it!
U could pick up a high mileage trophy for 5k but I wouldn’t consider it to be that much of an upgrade.

In other news I will definitely be nicking this idea.

fbf86acd909600b9de6395856933e83b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think we are all in agreement here.

Moment of weakness maybe.

@frayz He already mentioned the group n timing to me, and a possible deal on mapping too. We shall see.

@Radugns sorry.... but not sorry.

@Chris V6 255 helps massively. I like the stickers too as it breaks it up and looks cool I think. I have 3 screws into each wood holding them in..... and I bought new stickers to replace the worn ones for that fresh look!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think we are all in agreement here.

Moment of weakness maybe.

@frayz He already mentioned the group n timing to me, and a possible deal on mapping too. We shall see.

I’ve had an expensive time on mine this week... but I’ll be doing the GRP N & mapping too. I spent a few days in Alex’s RB which is mapped and was hooked. The response is night and day from a OEM calibration car.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had an expensive time on mine this week... but I’ll be doing the GRP N & mapping too. I spent a few days in Alex’s RB which is mapped and was hooked. The response is night and day from a OEM calibration car.

Listening to you and seeing what you do and how you are is going to cost me money.

I can just tell.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
That's the spirit Mark, back on track. Anyway you've got 70k to cover to catch up and achieve true ownership :p only then can you worry about mileage affecting value

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@Louis as mentioned it was just a thought. But there more I think about it, the more I think I'm attached to the RB than I realise and I dont think I want to let it go.

I'd have to spent money on it anyway to get it to a standard that is good enough to sell anyway, like sort the gearbox out, belts, sort out the slight wheel vibration, etc, which then kind of defeats the object of selling, as that money I won't get back.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As always whenever I come in here, I want a RB!

AND i want my garage to look like that!

I keep telling myself its hyst a council garage and that I dont own it!! And then I go on google images and look at garage ideas!

I'm currently reading your thread again atm too. Big fan of you mr car. Have been for ages. 👍👍