ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving position 172/182 cup’s

Im very tall (about 65") but have had 2 mk1 clios before, main thing putting me off buying a 172 cup or 182 cup is going back to that nasty high driving position. had anyone successfully fitted aftrer market seats to thier 172 cup (no airbag) or has the reacro option in thier 182? Is the 182 better anyway?

i have a 172 cup with standard seats. i am also 62" i do not think the driving position is high at all. very comfortable

the standard 182 is not better.

im 62" and i would say that is about the limit in terms of height if your gonna be comfortable.

Weeman sucks ****

Im only 510 and think its a bit high and the steering wheel is too bus like IMO. Should face the driver more.

i think a test drive is in order! the 1.6 16v i borrwed the opther day was bad but didnt know if the Cup models were better

Aint great in 182 bit high, my old mini (new style) was better in its seating and steering wheel position. Still Im 62" and I dont find it too uncomfortable or awkward.

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Im 66 and have a 172 Cup.. and dont find it too bad.. Ok, it could be better... but have got used to it.

I think it depends on whether you have long legs or a long body..

Liquid yellow R26 F1

i have a shrtish body, but longer legs.. (and no i dont look like a giraffe...LOL)...

But the steering could be bit closer for me to be relly comfortable.. Thought about puting my Sparco Suede rally wheel on with the extension boss, that i have... but would then lose both air bags..

tiTTy & SV650

Im 6ft3 and think the driving position in my 182 sucks, worst thing about the car by far. You cant stretch your legs out much at all and thus it can get quite uncomfortable on longer drives.

Apparently the recaros only sit 10mm lower than the standard seats, which will make bu**er all difference, take your wallet out your back pocket for a 10mm difference @ no extra cost :p

Im 186cms (whatever that is on old money!) and find my mk2 172 driving position great. Comfortable on long journeys (comfy seats), just right for reach to stearing wheel, perfect width between side bolsters for me. It could do with being a wee bit lower if Im really complaining, but its a lot better than my previous Punto (mk1).

Only problem would be if I had longer legs: Ive got the seat fully back on the runners, and Ive got a 34" inner leg. Don;t know if that helps you or not!

cock mobile.

The driving position is too high!!

But you can get Recaro seats on the 182 as an option soon, which are lower.

(So I have read here somewhere)

The reacro option will lower the seated height by 10mm so its not huge you could just go to Demon Tweeks etc and see whow much they want for the same seats fitting. (Renault seats will be off the shelf reacro as such).

Im 6 4 and the seating isnt that good realy butyou just get used to it.

The only pobelm Ive had is when wearing a helmet on track days as you have to tilt the saet back slightly more. However 172/182 owners should be better off since they dont have sunroofs so the roof might be sligly higher.

By the way 172cups and normal 172 have the same seat height.

tiTTy & SV650

TVR has the nicest driving position of any car Ive sat in, legs stretched out in front of you, my old 205gti had a good low position, new minis have a good position too.

Just something you learn to live with in the 182, is the 172 the same then? Cause just abput all the reviews of the 182 say shame about the driving position so if they said that about the 172 Id have thought Renault would have got their finger out when designing a replacement.

The seats look great in the 182, but form should follow function! I wander if its possible to make some alternative seat mounts to get the seats sitting lower?! Maybe thats the engineer in me looking for a wee project.

Clio 200 Cup

:confused: A test drive is definitely in order. Ive had my heard set on a mk1 172 / 172 cup for a while now, but im 65" and from what you guys say, this driving position could be the deciding factor. The Ibiza Cupra I test drove was perfect

Hi Henry

Im also in the market for a 172/Cup/182/Cup.

Im not as tall as you, but from my experiences in my mums and my other halfs Mk2 Clios (mums has same seats as Cup), theres more headroom than in the Mk1s.

Hope all is well

Ben

You get used to it in a few hours and then it doesnt feel any different to any other car. The morons who write for magazines should get a clue.

I test drove a Cooper S a few months back and that felt high to me after just stepping out of my Cup (for sale).

Im just over 65" and Ive got used to the driving position in my 182 - although as soon as I spend any time in any elses car I realise how crappy it is!

Worst thing about the car by a mile - and the only thing Im unhappy about!

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 14 January 2005

You get used to it in a few hours and then it doesnt feel any different to any other car. The morons who write for magazines should get a clue.

I test drove a Cooper S a few months back and that felt high to me after just stepping out of my Cup (for sale).
Its more the stretch to the pedals I liked in the Mini, You can extend your leg quite nicely which is what I like.

I aint a Mini fan though - dont get me wrong!

As for the magazine people, I would agree with their comment on the driving position, its your main interface with the car and I bet a fair few folk have been put off buying becuase of it.

You do get used to it, and totally forget about it (until you sit in something else). But in what is a sports car I dont think it feels very sporty to sit in...

Elise/VX220/R26

Driving position is the worst thing about my 172, can never get comfortable and you always feel like your on the car rather than in it.

Remember having a sit in yozzas cup with buckets, that was far better, like been in a go kart

Boz

Arctic 182

I agree with jonnyboy, seat is too high and you feel like your sat on the car and not in it. Initialy this doesnt inspire confidense in the handling but you get used to it. Pugs are generally much better (205GTI/306XSI I used to run were far lower).

I think the problem with the seat mounts is they sit on the channel that runs down the centre of the car, making it difficult to get it much lower even with new runners etc.

6 foot three and with the seat back i can just get my long legs in, wish the steering wheel was slightly smaller. i dont mind the driving postion that much, i like to be able to see the passenger corner of the car