ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ep3 back from the dead ready for abuse

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
After a mishap at hatzenbach last July when our pink civic hit the armco, it looked like this.
Bent rear trailing arm, bent front strut and hub, cracked front and rear bumpers, smashed headlight and mounting bracket, bent wing.

eea2d5fd03f302892701788623d51fe9.jpg

Patched up with duct tape and limped home (via bruges to smash some consolation beers in for a couple days)

22cefa5f7338fb1848d28a91f0450fb1.jpg

Took it to grinspeed in august to fit replacement rear arm, replacement front suspension assembly and while it Was there we had some Tegiwa roll centre adjusters fitted and a slightly more aggressive geometry setup.

Left it til feb on my mums back garden and with a new battery I went about sorting the cosmetics.

Full respray in milano red with 'fugen' rear wing fitted, square rear plate, stupidly loud cobra exhaust system replaced with 2.5" piper catback, refurbished mitsubishi evo 5 gsr alloys powdercoated gold, 215 45 17 Bridgestone re050A tyres all round and a Tegiwa rear tie bar to go on. It looks like this

9eeb1b2d180a5e7a8d33bdad06875536.jpg

fc4149c0402635974df785cae408073f.jpg

460cdce43f9a7b06960b4803ced0b7dc.jpg

d59ecf0a7b98cc6068af7ef3248e37fa.jpg

Anglesey track day 5th Apr booked and nurburgring in August. NICE.

clio 182 trophy
Love these! A highly modded one blasted past me before, must have been at least 300bhp. Loved my mates when he had his!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Nothing between these and a 1*2. But by God the engine and Box on these are like silk compared to the clio. But the steering on the clio is miles better. Next thing this whopper needs is lsd and a 5.1 final drive. Oh and a kpro and rbc inlet and and and and. Was brilliant round the ring before the crash though. Was really surprised and impressed with it.
Shame the world cup final was on the night before the track day and we had a beer or ten.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
and so someone's possibly flogging a gearbox with M factory LSD and 5.1 final drive about 4 miles from my flat........................unbelievably tempting

Nothing & BMW 116d
Nice looking motor!

I hated my pre-facelift when I had it, couldn't gel with it at all for numerous reasons... but I'd probably give a grey facelift a go :persevere:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
I know what you mean, after owning my ph1s (best car I've ever owned) and my ph2 cup (meh), the civic took a while to gel cos of vague steering feel. Was horrible after the go kart clios. But it's better now with the castor increase bushes and frsu. I can see why some people don't gel after a clio tho. Such a sweet engine and Box tho, especially with the Tegiwa airbox.

I actually prefer the looks of the preface. I've put a facelift flywheel in it too so best of both worlds for me. And the jdm rear arb was pound for pound such an improvement

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Will do mate. You ever done anglesey? Think.my first proper track day will be jumping in at the deep end, check out the competition so far!!

15c49706053a9f47fda09ba3a39eec9c.jpg

f5185330c73b2c2c5b27b043813d245c.jpg

61e2383bb11889b3ee91fc2b9538a43d.jpg

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Totally agree about how much nicer they are to drive than a Clio, and how they're difficult to gel with and how they need a FRSU to help with the vague steering. Yours looks great now, I bet you're glad you didn't sell it! What did the 'Ring crash set you back?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Still Looking.
Anglesey is a great track. Been once when it lashed down then brightened up. The back straight is awesome, just remember to brake at the top, lol. £240, is that with a garage?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Oh god the costs just to fix the car I'd say we're around 2.5k but the respray was a grand and was needed anyway.
I would've got peanuts for it before the respray anyway and I know mechanically it's a good car once stevie at grinspeed has done a lot of work on it in my ownership
Think the armco cost about 500 quid for two replacement strips.

No its 240 for the full gp circuit and an extra 50 for the additional driver. No other extras! Limited to dates though as my brother is only back from Abu Dhabi for 10 days or so.

Got a guest house booked in holyhead, hopefully not too far? Easter weekend so prices/availability are higher!

Dr Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks sweet. My only complaint is that I think the spoiler looks too big. Standard one is spot on.

Wheels suit it well. Are they OZ F1's that came off the evo 5's?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Still Looking.
Ah ok. Front splitter would suit that down to the ground. Although wouldn't get it colour coded, carbon would look nice imo

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Spoiler looks bigger in the pics if I'm honest. I love it, sets it apart from other type r's

Splitter I wouldn't mind but not a huge fan of the mugen one, it's a bit ott. There aren't many more to choose from! Maybe stick some winglets on but mods for these things are a rip off to be honest. Not many cheap mods like the clios do.

The wheels are actually stamped enkei mitsubishi motor Co but licenced by oz. Yeah evo 5 gsr apparently. Much better et38 offset than the Et45 rotas I had before. Fill the arches much better. Had the arches rolled at the rear too before the respray just in case they rubbed with the 45 profiles. Cba with all that neg camber crap.

Going to go have a go of the ctro forum member's car tomorrow to see what lsd and 5.1 final drive are like and maybe think about buying it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Still Looking.
One of the track days I went on ages ago there was a chap there with a bog standard type r that went really well. Ended up chatting to him and he said the only thing he's changed is the gearbox, I'm assuming to a closer ratio'd one.

Hello Howard Speaking

ClioSport Club Member
  Mx5 NC
Really like that, always think these look good with some camber on the front wheels, really purposeful (track oriented camber not stance camber)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Is a bit of camber on the front with the frsu, nothing drastic though, Cba forking out for tyres every month. The rear wheels have a lot of neg camber when lowering though if you don't get adjustable arms and a proper frsu as well as springs. Mine came with just the abp springs and it handled crap initially
Nice and straight now on the back

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Spanks. Gonna give it another clean tomorrow and get the rear tie bar on while I adjust the exhaust a bit more.

Then it's getting parked up til easter weekend and I'm back in my e36

3de9463ae739ac5d9bb7d5897c3eebb6.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Focus st? Really tempted to get one next. Jdm ep3 are good but for the price there are a lot of other cars in front of them in the queue! Proper jdm tax

TTRS & V50
Looks awesome post respray. Good job.

Shame about the torque or I'd buy another. I do miss the GB though. I think the steering wheel makes up for the feel yet on the Clio the steering wheel lets down the feel of the car.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Noticed a few rough spots on the bonnet from the respray today. Will have a go with some detailing products but think it's under the paint. Hmmmmm. It'll get stone chipped to death anyway I spose.

Got the exhaust adjusted and chucked the pointless but bling tie bar on while it was up. Cleaned and parked up now ready for anglesey.

7ff3ff432e75fae114b5ddaaea35cfb9.jpg

Get my rotas flogged and I'll be sorted.

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Got a lot of time for ep3s, the missus has one and it surprised me how much i enjoyed it!

Looks good pal!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Cheers. If I'm honest I prefer driving the e36 every day now. You notice the rattles more when you get back in the civic! Civic miles more fun though, brings out the hooligan in me.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Funny how people talk about the fun factor of the EP3, I think it was even mentioned on 5th Gear at one point. I never felt like this about mine, even on track after the FRSU I thought it was capable but uninspiring.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Clio more chuckable, equally as fun just in a different way. Vtec crossover that begs you to wring it's neck and slick gear changes are what makes these fun and also very good with an frsu and decent tyres (so sensitive to tyre choice with these I think) and they handle very well, just the s**t electric rack that makes them feel a bit uninspiring. Got to be the most un-Japanese of Japanese cars too, not even a clock fitted! Swindon no frills breadvan

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
My MX-5 hasn't got a clock, but then it does have aircon and a buzzer and light to tell me to fasten my seatbelt... Go figure!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  Ep3 & Twingo 133
Ha yeah random. Ep3 has air con but that's never been used so hopefully just needs a regas. Does have heated mirrors though but no clock or trip computer!?

Another type r is joining us it seems on the track now. Feel a bit better. And an e36 m3 evo and 350z

I'm hoping I don't need any spare pads or parts?

Brand new tyres and the ferodo ds2500 pads have about 2k motorway miles on them.

What you reckon? Been told the full gp track is hard on the cars