ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ep3 back from the dead ready for abuse

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
So this week I've decided to get the car ready and back out once the mad summer track day rush has calmed/got less pricey.

Going to book in with Tensport this month and get some better/proper coilovers fitted to the car as these were only ever a stop gap as the old standard shocks and springs were knocking.

So, after loads of deliberation, I think I'm going to go for some Meister R Clubrace (9/16kg springs and different damping rates to the usual CRD). Think I'll also need some adjustable tie rods, as the OEM are currently maxed out on my car at the mo (fortunately I think VTEC monkeys have a pair in).

It was a toss up between these and the Area motorport track spec Yellowspeeds, but I just prefer the Meister brand and the way they sell their product. Plus I had CRD on the fn2 and they were just so good.

Decided against a wrap, would much rather put the money towards the suspension - I've bought some (more) stickers to try disguise the colour mismatch between door and wing :LOL:

Screenshot_20200720_085959_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Get yourself booked in at the dentist as well, 9/16kg springs with shatter your teeth on the road. I had 9/11kg AST's on the Clio and it was horrendous. I'd literally bounce down the road.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Get yourself booked in at the dentist as well, 9/16kg springs with shatter your teeth on the road. I had 9/11kg AST's on the Clio and it was horrendous. I'd literally bounce down the road.
Lolz, reviews don't seem to be too bad for them. What are the spring rates on your mr2?

I hardly use it on the road at all now though to be honest, I feel a massive bellend in traffic driving this thing

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Lolz, reviews don't seem to be too bad for them. What are the spring rates on your mr2?

I hardly use it on the road at all now though to be honest, I feel a massive bellend in traffic driving this thing
My CRD's are only 5/7kg. Even running slicks I didn't feel I needed to uprate the springs.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
More than likely. Maybe better going with what you know in the CRD's. What's the consensus with other ep3's with the Clubrace set-up?
you know the honda pages, everyone bums Yellow speed Area motorsport versions which are 8/16kg - however, the rear springs are eibach and not YSR.

not saying either are better, but there's definitely more welly (and therefore support on the pages :cool:) behind the YSR brand with it being in Civic cup - but they're limited to this brand only, so to me, it seems a little biased.

Meister R are a lot more conservative in their selling approach, which makes me prefer them as a brand - and Jerrick is super helpful.

Both sets are pretty much same price.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
These XYZ have been really good over the last 2 years, but the adjustment has pretty much gone from the damping. Makes sod all difference it seems. Plus they're far too comfy for a coilover! And it seems to still pitch and roll almost as much as the standard shocks with eibachs - I'm getting flung around the cabin still.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
VTECMONKEYS have a set of yellowspeed coilovers for £450. They're off the Milano they're breaking.
If I got YSR I'd want the Area motorsport ones. To be honest, YSR normal ones (racing dynamic?) look identical to my XYZ's. Gaz has been busting my balls to buy YSR off him (Vtecmonkeys now sell new ones too), but I've always been keen on Meister r's.

I've secured some adjustable tie rods off the monkeys though. Are you going up there for panels?

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
If I got YSR I'd want the Area motorsport ones. To be honest, YSR normal ones (racing dynamic?) look identical to my XYZ's. Gaz has been busting my balls to buy YSR off him (Vtecmonkeys now sell new ones too), but I've always been keen on Meister r's.

I've secured some adjustable tie rods off the monkeys though. Are you going up there for panels?
Nah left it up to Mike now. He's not to fussed on getting the car repaired and on the road again. I'm like you and would have had it back up and running with days :LOL:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Should have just bought AR-1's... pffttt.
I'm not on a 15" budget!

I need to find a cheaper alternative to stick with now AD08R are gone. These accelera do feel really good, tread is lot softer than the RS, but nice firm walls

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Meister R clubrace ordered and Donington track day booked (finally booked on there, first time - forgot I had a promised discount from last November when MSV cocked up my tuition day).

Just hope Tensport can get me in soon, for fitting and tweaks.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
@Danith booked Donington myself. God knows how I'm gonna fit my slicks in. Don't think my AR1's would be legal after another full track day. Your ep3 got a wheel well for a spare?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
@Danith booked Donington myself. God knows how I'm gonna fit my slicks in. Don't think my AR1's would be legal after another full track day. Your ep3 got a wheel well for a spare?
Chuck em in the ep3 yeah, if it's raining ill be taking the rainsport but should be room?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Nice BC's ;)
ha yeah to be honest they all look pretty much identical. These, BC, Yellowspeeds - all made in Taiwan. Guessing HSD will be too?

Been pestering the life out of Jerrick @ Meister and he's been really helpful, plus I really liked the CRD version on my Fn2 (that lasted all of 1.5 months :cry:)

Ideally I wanted a TUV approved item like the Bilstein B16, but they're double the price and the caster/camber isn't adjustable as they use OEM top mounts!

These should do me fine for the handful of trackdays I do a year and I never use the car on the road anymore as it's embarrassing to drive :ROFLMAO:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Mind you I read that @Kev@KAM mentioned they're not all EXACTLY the same, and Meister have better valving (whatever that is) than the YSR or BC

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Booked in for the 19th for these to be fitted. Super excite.

While it's there I'm having some new (pattern part) front wishbones fitted (will have to swap over the M2 RCA's and Superpro caster bushes over), tegiwa/hardrace adjustable tie rods, oil change and rear caliper needs greasing or replacing.

Decided to get the new wishbones as @JB21 has got me thinking about his mate who's wishbone snapped at oulton! They rust from the inside out so I might as well chuck some on while the coilovers are getting fitted and having it all aligned. Were only 40 quid for the pair.

Booked on for my first ever Donington track day too, so quite excited about this one.

Screenshot_20200730_094450.jpg

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, should make a good bit of difference at Donington. You gonna go with an aggressive alignment to match the new chassis mods?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Nice, should make a good bit of difference at Donington. You gonna go with an aggressive alignment to match the new chassis mods?
Will just go with whatever Tensport box me off with :) Wondered about corner weighting too, but they don't do it yet

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Will just go with whatever Tensport box me off with :) Wondered about corner weighting too, but they don't do it yet
I'm gonna get mine corner weighted soon. Theres a company on Instagram called suspension secrets that will come to your house, work or even a track day you're attending. They do discounts for multiple bookings on the same day as well.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
I'm gonna get mine corner weighted soon. Theres a company on Instagram called suspension secrets that will come to your house, work or even a track day you're attending. They do discounts for multiple bookings on the same day as well.
Ping me the deets!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
So pretty much full day over at Tensport today.
Coilovers on and setup, absolutely brilliant feel now. Full soft still super compliant too, b road blast and its flat as a pancake and to be honest, still pretty compliant.

Oem tie rods were a b**ch to get off but got them off in the end to fit the adjustable ones to allow us to drop the ride height plenty.

Lower arms weren't needed, Chris deemed them absolutely fine so saved a few quid there and time. Caliper seems to be down to an intermittent sticky handbrake cable so left it as is.

Only issue is when doing the alignment, it seems my 3 sisters collision has done a bit more damage than was visible. Rear hub is ever so slightly bent so it's toeing in a little on the passenger side. So will wait to get a replacement hub fitted and the poly bushes swapped over, but he said its not urgent.

Fresh oil and filter and its good to go for donny 😁😎

IMG_20200819_174510.jpg
IMG_20200819_184413.jpg
IMG_20200819_165852.jpg
IMG_20200819_174701.jpg
IMG_20200819_175008.jpg
IMG_20200819_153035.jpg
IMG_20200819_152207.jpg
IMG_20200819_142116.jpg
IMG_20200819_183718.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Gave the car a wash and took some of the old stickers off, as I wanted to cover up the join on the wing/door/bonnet with something to try and mask the red mismatch. Wasn't paying for a wrap so tried this for 25 quid, but gash but does draw your eye away from the colour match!

Wheels off to clean them up while I coated the meisters in acf50 to stop them corroding. Looking forward to my first ever donny track day.

IMG_20200826_185612.jpg
IMG_20200826_184846.jpg

Last edited: