ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ep3 back from the dead ready for abuse

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Doesn't look good up close ha, I don't have the patience. Looks proper 90s Mk2 golf, will do for 25 quid

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
so my first ever Donington day, with @JB21 and @JamesBryan . Was a very wet and greasy day. In the morning the sun made a brief appearance and some dry lines developed, but there were still some greasy patches (first corner after pit straight, bottom of craners curves and the last sweeping right hander onto the straight before the esses).
However, despite it being soaking wet and us not having a garage due to the 'FERRARRI CHALGENE' crew booking 22 of them up despite not even being on the track, it was a great day. Wasn't sure I liked it at first but once I'd got used to the width and speed of the track (as well as feeling a bit more assured due to LOADS of run off, unlike my last day where I ended up in the tyres) I really enjoyed it. Is a great track and I'll be coming back for sure. Was a bit shorter than I thought it'd be but yeah, really good. Oulton is still my favourite though and cadwell 2nd, but Donington definitely in top 3 (if we don't include the nurburgring obvs).

Anyone asking about the Accelera 651s tyres - well I can confirm they're without a shadow of doubt, miles better than AD08RS. They are nice and stiff and fairly soft too. They do go off quite quickly though, struggle for grip when really pushing when up to temp. In the wet though, they perform pretty bloody well. I didn't bother putting my rainsports on at all and still had plenty of fun and wasn't being left too far behind. I would even go as far as to say they performed better in the wet than dry! At £60 a corner (in 215 40 17) they're an absolutely brilliant budget track tyre for someone who wants to just 'arrive and drive'. You won't break any lap records though and anyone with the semi slicks or similar will leave you for dust. They 100% get my seal of approval at this price point.

I have decided though, to get another set of Avon ZZR off the Mx5 cup guys when I get the chance. I've spent so much money on coilovers, final drive, remap, LSD etc I think I'm negating the effect of them all on an 'arrive and drive' tyre.

All the above mods really do improve the car, without any question (as you can see from my photos the meisters keep the car pretty much flat throughout now and the car was super planted). However, tyres are definitely the first 'building block' for any track car for me (now I'm happy with the brake setup), so to maximise all the mods, I think I should get some proper dedicated track (dry) tyres.

Anyway, here are the photos - I hate gopro's so my brother is going to sort the videos this week @JB21

PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0319.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0422.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0423.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0486.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0488.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_0808.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_1001.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_1004.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_1030.jpg
PR_200828_MSVT_DP_1055.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Popped up on the fb selling pages. Ep3 wheels in some sort of blue with ad08r tyres. 5mm on 2 and 4mm and 2mm on the others. Bargain I couldn't turn down. Been for a blast on it and oh my god it feels good to be back on these tyres. Yokohama, why did you stop making them?!??

IMG_20200830_200505_747.jpg
IMG_20200830_200505_727.jpg
IMG_20200830_200505_735.jpg
IMG_20200830_165902.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
So an interesting day yesterday. After I'd had the Skoda rolling roaded I thought it might be worth getting the Ep3 on EFi's rollers to make sure the map is ok, as it was never tweaked when putting the 421 japspeed manifold on - which I thought was a bit too convenient.
When it was swapped over it went over to another guy who checked it over and said 'it's running a bit rich at top end, but it's OK' and that's been in my head ever since! I don't want 'OK'.
So off to Efi I went yesterday, it's only 20 mins from me now which is great. Got it on the rollers and Chris explained that he couldn't check the map itself, as I don't have a KPRO ecu, just the K100 add on to the OEM ECU (so you write files, but not tweak and read as the Kpro has a data port on the ECU itself). But he was able to check all the important stuff, so all ok in that respect.

Results in, seemed a good healthy BHP number. The last place had it down as 231.5 bhp, Chris' rollers came out with 226.7 bhp. But as we all know, the BHP number isn't the be all and end all. 155 lbs ft torque just for reference too.

The AFR graph however shows a pretty hefty fuelling change on the VTEC crossover point, which needs flattening out. Not only that, but the lambda sensor was turned off (bit of a shortcut job) so the lambda won't regulate fuelling at all. @JamesBryan tried to explain it all to me but I got confused :ROFLMAO:
Not only that, but the rev limiter has been set to 9k, which is way too high for stock springs etc. Good thing I'm not a rev limiter basher!! Might explain why my valve clearances are often thrown out faster than usual. Plus explains why I get terrible MPG!!

In a nutshell, Chris said it's 'safe', but change gear earlier and it's not running it's best at all. Which is all I needed to hear.

So anyway, I am booking it in for a fresh map. Unfortunately he's booked up for the next 2 months but that gives me time to save the funds together. While I'm getting it mapped (again), I'll be fitting a larger inlet manifold to open it up a bit more and get it up to 240 ish (can't remap it without some sort of big gain can I!?).

RBC the most likely mod at the mo, although there are so many available now.

IMG_20200901_181918.jpg
IMG_20200901_200607.jpg
IMG_20200901_200619.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
What's that taped to the rear bumper?
Go pro external mic. Wanted to try it out so took 30 friggin minutes to get the camera on the cage at a decent point, then sort the mic out. Get out in the b roads and it says friggin sd card error cos my bro took the SanDisk one to do vids from donny. Gopro and me don't mix

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Go pro external mic. Wanted to try it out so took 30 friggin minutes to get the camera on the cage at a decent point, then sort the mic out. Get out in the b roads and it says friggin sd card error cos my bro took the SanDisk one to do vids from donny. Gopro and me don't mix
Such a technophobe 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Here's a video - finally.

Will do more later now I've worked out how. Cos I'm only on the free version of Racerender it limits to 3 min vids, which is enough really I spose

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
On your laptop download GoPro quick:

From here you can trim and save videos to your laptop which have the telemetrics hidden within the video on a GoPro 5

Then download Dashware to get extract all your speed, track map, g meter telemetrics etc.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
On your laptop download GoPro quick:

From here you can trim and save videos to your laptop which have the telemetrics hidden within the video on a GoPro 5

Then download Dashware to get extract all your speed, track map, g meter telemetrics etc.

Tried Quick, it just froze up all the time. Think it's to do with my operating system or some computery chat b****cks. This race render is dead easy, might just upgrade to proper version next time. And overlay the GPS too, now I've worked out how to turn it on the go pro. It was mint on my twingo vid (using dashcam)

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Good pic this. @JB21 and @JamesBryan in hot pursuit, pesky Clio up my chuff. The yaris was absolutely mental too, in the corners he was practically in my boot!!

Turns out the Clio is on AST, Gripper diff, Direzzas and Supercharged. Explains why he absolutely tore me a new a-hole.

View attachment 1493980
What was in the yaris? I used to have a T Sport back in the day. Was a good car to learn how to keep you speed in corners lol

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Stock ones were 105 bhp that's even worse if he could bother you lol. They always used to handle well and had good brakes as standard also very light.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Stock ones were 105 bhp that's even worse if he could bother you lol. They always used to handle well and had good brakes as standard also very light.
I love them, surprised I don't see more on trackdays to be honest. Those tyres almost defy the laws of physics!!

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
I am keeping an eye out for one or a ignis sport just for s***s and giggles.
I would love another thunder gray one.
Opened my eyes TBH. You don't need a fancy engine conversion or crazy HP turbo build to go quick on track. Guy driving it raced so he was getting every ounce of performance of it, but still for an amature like myself they would still be a lot of fun and cheap as chips to maintain. Just a shame they're so rare these days. Guy also mentioned performance parts are mega money as no one really caters for them.

3 on AT currently.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
100k mile example £1000

BC coilovers £800

Michelin used slicks £150

Bluestuff front pads £70

Yellowstuff rear £70

A lot of reliable track fun for just over £2000 :unsure:

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
There has been some yaris's loads cheaper than that and it's a 5dr so heavy. Was a nice ignis sport on gumtree for £500 a few weeks ago in Manchester so to far for me.
I should just realy finish the Twingo rather than thinking about other cars lol. At 900kg and 150+bhp it should be OK for a blast round a track.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
There's a yaris 3 door T sport in wigan for £600. 51 plate. Dread to look underneath one now :ROFLMAO:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Got a used rbc off the pages. Comes with the k tuned map sensor bung and tegiwa adaptor plate.
Have tried to strip the paint with nitro mors but cba, it's gonna be easier to paint.
Either bbq paint (love that stuff) or black wrinkle effect to match the rocker.

Ordered a new thermal gasket for the tb too (head already has one).

Was gonna fit it myself but its going back to Tensport anyway for new read hubs so might as well get Chris to do it, in case we need any oem parts off vtec monkeys.

received_300833961017676.jpeg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
The joys of used parts. Too old for this s**t 🤣
Send it back, hopefully get some pennies back and just buy new

IMG_20200910_162901.jpg
IMG_20200910_162809.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Buy cheap buy twice is the saying? should get a refund on the used one. Can't beat new oem parts. think I'll leave it oem silver too.

Screenshot_20200911_094512.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
So jealous the amount of goodies for the EP3. An inlet for the 2zz is around £800 plus shipping from Venezuela with US tariff costs.
swap you for your cheap AR1 prices :ROFLMAO: why Venezuela?!?

Got a feeling the RBC has jumped up in price with covid, Tegiwa now list the 64mm at 440 quid now when it was 330!
Rang TDi and no stock anywhere at mo but they haven't updated (if applicable) the price on their site, so got an order in sharpish for the RBC and extended gen Honda RBC hose.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
swap you for your cheap AR1 prices :ROFLMAO: why Venezuela?!?

Got a feeling the RBC has jumped up in price with covid, Tegiwa now list the 64mm at 440 quid now when it was 330!
Rang TDi and no stock anywhere at mo but they haven't updated (if applicable) the price on their site, so got an order in sharpish for the RBC and extended gen Honda RBC hose.
Only place that makes them for the 2zz. What gains does the RBC make?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Only place that makes them for the 2zz. What gains does the RBC make?
up to 250 I believe, but more importantly with no sacrifice to mid range. Efi will probs get me to 240 on theirs, was 227 last week with the PRC (DC5 integra inlet).

RBC has longer runners and a much bigger plenum, which is why you need to chop an inch or so off the slam panel.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 230 & Ep3
Good spot on that old one.

I'd leave the new one silver too. Fresh ftw!
Need to keep it clean tho, nightmare to keep clean with the cast stuff. I'd just ordered a load of drill polishing attachments and wrinkle black paint too. Never mind

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
100k mile example £1000

BC coilovers £800

Michelin used slicks £150

Bluestuff front pads £70

Yellowstuff rear £70

A lot of reliable track fun for just over £2000 :unsure:
You lot are a bad influence @JB21 & @Danith going to look at a t sport yaris tonight