ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat Battery Probs - Is it my Sub & Amp causing it?

Hi,

Been having battery problems for the last few months which has meant ive had to recharge the battery. Got that fed up I went and bought a new battery about 4 weeks ago instead of taking it to a garage! Anyway same problem happend, battery completely flat! So I decided to take it in at last!

Just had the garage on the phone and they seem to think its because my sub & amp are draining it. I cant remember having the problems when the system was first fit and its nothing special just ur typical sub and amp. But the garage arnt sure what it is other then that - I personally think they've just got something against "These boom box things!" (His exact words!) and they dont know wot the prob is.

But are they right is it my system causing the prob?

He reckoned that having my lights on, heater & sound at once is too much for the alternator is he right? Ive also got a alarm fitted too, which he mentioned uses the battery even when the car is parked!

He said if he fits a alternator he cant gurantee it with the "Boom Box thing"!

Really dont know what I should do, should I get him to fit an alternator and see how that goes or not? Help! Any1 know what the prob could be or what I should do?

Thanks, Jo.

You could get a heavy duty battery. My mate had a huge system years ago in his fiesta, he used to drive three miles a day in so it wasn't long enough to charge the battery, he got a heavy duty one & it was fine, he also used to give the car a good run to make sure that the battery was charged.

If the battery keeps draining then it can't be charging.

check the output of the alternator - should be 14.4 volts I believe?? It could just be on the way out or it could be insufficient for the needs of the sub etc. I'm considering getting an uprated one but they are a little more expensive.

Is that, your considering getting an uprated alternator? If so, how much would I be looking at?

Cheers, Jo.

I got a quote from a place in Harlow - standard alternator is 70amps and cost about £85ish, 100amps was £140 I believe and 140 amps was £170.

I'd probably go for the most powerful one as the drain on the power seems to be quite high on mine, but then I usual am driving at night, with the fan on, and the radar detector, and the stereo up... LoL

Do you think I could get away with a 100amps alternator?

Also something the bloke at the garage said was that Clio's have 3 alternators - whats that all about?

Jo.

Black Clio 182
what do you expect its a clio lol

ive had this problem for ages.... are you playing your music with your engine off? or sitting with your lights on?

i brought a heavy duty battery as mine just cut out all the time, my mate with a clio had the same problem and got a heavy duty on its much better.

so go out and get a heavy duty one. what watt is your subs and amps?

Jo Leon said:
Do you think I could get away with a 100amps alternator?

Also something the bloke at the garage said was that Clio's have 3 alternators - whats that all about?

Jo.

I haven't got a clue what he's talking about! lol

Polo + Micra
i'd guess he's confused 3 alternators with a 3-phase alt(which it is, but less said about that the better)