ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny noise when changing into 5th

Lately Ive noticed that when Im accelerating hard and change from 4th to 5th I sometimes get a kind of squelching noise. Its doesnt stop me getting fifth at all and its a crunching sound.

Wondering what this is and whether I should get it looked at? Only does it 4-5th and not all the time. If Im careful with the gear change then it doesnt do it.

Any ideas? Thanks, T

CTR EK9 turbo

probably need a new gearbox mate if you havent already had one!

they are rubbish on the 172s..... im on number 4!

Quote: Originally posted by scotty16v on 15 September 2003

if its when you have a passenger it could be they are s***ting their pants.
LOL - No, it happens when I dont have a passenger.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Probably the synchro on its way out...

I wouldnt panic as the gearboxes do fail on the 172/Cup and it will be swapped under warranty if/when it does go!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 16 September 2003

:( Id rather get it changed rather than wait for it to break and leave me stranded
It wont "break" as such, it will just progressively get worse and start crunching going into gear.

My mates has been doing it for a few thousand miles now, so dont worry.

Get it in and have them check it for your peace of mind though...

Yeah, I might do that but its a pain to take it into Renault and the car has to be doing 115mph and changing into 5th to notice :eek: