ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garage’s Verdict on my car plus more.....

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Hiya,

Well, I took the car into a local garage that I trust and had them do a full service and look out for any other stuff wrong. He phoned me and said the following things:

1> Brakes - Although theyve had new pads on before I bought it, they didnt clean the brakes so they want to strip down the brakes and clean the dust and and rust from them. The rear drums they have opened and everythings good apart from dust etc.

2> As part of the service they are gonna change the filter and spark plugs, oil etc.

3> One of the tyres is balding (but I told them this doesnt matter because im having new tyres put on some alloys anyway).

4> Front fog light glass is broken - which I knew about anyway.

5> I told them to look at my accelerator too as its sticking a bit - they said it may be a freyed cable....theyre gonna look at it.

So overall - nothing heart-stoppingly bad! Im glad theres nothin too bad been found. So overall I reckon I might have got a pretty good deal! £3500 for a 2000 V reg 1.6i 16v with 32,000 miles on the clock - fully HPI cleared.

***Insurance Note***

I went with Direct Line after phoning many others and best they could do was £445 fully comp, for a 26 year old with no previous anything and 6 years No Claims. Problem is, on th policy - it says I declared No Mods (the car has Factory fitted Leather Interior, factory fitted Boot Spoiler and Factory fitted Side Skirts) so if i phone them up I expect they will bump a lot on for this!

I went to Max Power site and followed a link to 4 insurance. I declared all my mods etc and they came back with £419 fully comp - top policy with courtesy car, legal cover, protected no claims plus thats with all my mods included and a £300 excess (was £250 with direct line).

so basically, im gonna phone Direct Line and if they cant match that after Ive declared all my mods then Ill cancel it. Bet they charge me a lot for cancelling though the muppets.

Cheers!

Daz

Make sure you check out the Policy as well, cheaper ones dont offer some of the "Fringe" Benefits which are very very useful - Im paying the price for this now :(

So yes its cheap, but make sure the policy covers you.

Look for:

1) Unlimited Windscreen Cover - that doesnt affect Claims

2) Automatic Hire Car for any Claim "Wish I had this!"

3) Level of Excess + Voluntry Excess (good way to lower the Quote)

4) Protected No Claims.

5) Legal Protection/cover

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

It has £50 excess on windscreens - lol
£300 excess for claims - this is with compulsory and voluntary in one.
Courtesy car included
Legal Cover
Protected no claims
Free girl to pretend shes your girlfriend
Lifetimes supply of beer

O.K , so i made the last two up but the rest are real! I just phoned Direct-Line who i am with at the minute and I told them about it and also declared my FACTORY FITTED mods - to which they said :
"Oh, that adds another £94 pounds to the quote - for a total of £540..." and thats without a courtesy car too!

Needless to say Im gonna go with the other one for £419 all in! Woohoo!

Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by daz_uk on 11 August 2004

so basically, im gonna phone Direct Line and if they cant match that after Ive declared all my mods then Ill cancel it. Bet they charge me a lot for cancelling though the muppets.

Cheers!

Daz

You have 14 days to cancel ANY contract without any cost to yourself.

Mat.