ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garaged car = sweating

Just brought a new house with a garage and driveway. Good for insurance purposes as the car is no longer parked on a street and hence the premium has dropped slightly. However a few folk have warned my about keeping the car garaged up as this can make the car sweat and after a few years may actually be more damaging to the bodywork than keeping the car outside in the (lurvly UK) weather. I can see how this may have a certain amount of truth, if there is not adequate ventilation then the car may stay wet rather than moisture evaporating away.

Is this something I should be concerned with? Is there a cheap way to conteract it - e.g. installing a vent with fan - buying a dehumidifier, fitting central heating!!!!????

Rich

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

cant see how keeping a car in a garage would make it any wetter than outside exposed to the elements.

Did this story come from an insurance company?

"Oh, you better park it on the road then...."

"Thatll be £100 more please!"

:D

my garage is well ventilated with fgaps between the door and wall. so should not be a problem. the car can stay damp ofr ages in the garage but it stops sunlight on the paint so might balance it up.

if there isnt sufficient air flow condensation can form on the car . this will take a while to dry off the car as there is no airflow.

just make sure it is reasonably ventilated - or if youre really fussy get a dehumidifyer

insignia

oh no i think my cars sweating its been working out to much.i think i will have to keep my garage door open from now on,so he can breath better.

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 12 March 2004

oh no i think my cars sweating its been working out to much.i think i will have to keep my garage door open from now on,so he can breath better.
LOL! It usually gets the work out when the wheels are turning!!

Seriously though if your cars left in a damp closed atmosphere with no adequate ventilation then it could possibly be a problem? But I guess from the above comments not that much of a problem!! LOL - Oh well I guess Ill go back to bed!

thats a load of bull. any garage will stay warmer than outside if not just by the heat brought in by the car with a hot engine

higher temperature means that there will be less condensation, therefore less water so the car will be drier in the garage than outside.

just fit a small fan pumping air outta the garage. or some sort of chimney.

Quote: Originally posted by desmondo on 12 March 2004
Just brought a new house with a garage and driveway.  Good for insurance purposes as the car is no longer parked on a street and hence the premium has dropped slightly.  However a few folk have warned my about keeping the car garaged up as this can make the car sweat and after a few years may actually be more damaging to the bodywork than keeping the car outside in the (lurvly UK) weather.  I can see how this may have a certain amount of truth, if there is not adequate ventilation then the car may stay wet rather than moisture evaporating away.  Is this something I should be concerned with?  Is there a cheap way to conteract it - e.g. installing a vent with fan - buying a dehumidifier, fitting central heating!!!!????Rich

the car can sweat but only if you put it in during the late eve. As it gets dow to bollocking cold, the car will have condensation. But it wont if you just leave it in there.

Doesnt do it during the summer either.

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

if ya need a radiator fitted in ya garage then come to me as im a plumber and can do ya great rates;)