ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golf PD130 Banger

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Bought this a couple of weeks ago to replace the BMW as Erik is getting on a bit and doesn't always make the jump into the boot, so I wanted him to have his own door so he can step up into the car, plus I fancied a change and a new project so I decided to get back into Mk4 Golfs and build a 200+bhp daily that'll do 45mpg.

1625946327428.png

So using all the car knowledge i've learnt over the years, knowing what to look for and being very thorough I somehow ignored all of that, took a leaf out of @cookies book and bought the first barely functional shed I laid eyes on, it was up for £895 so after having a good look round it and listening to the engine which actually sounds pretty sweet for a 183k mile car and taking it for a test drive, I offered him £850 and he instantly said yes which gave me a feeling of regret straight away knowing that not only should I have started lower, but he said yes very quickly which is never a good sign.

It sat on the drive for a few weeks while I bought a few bits for it, new wheels off ebay for £100 with more tread than the fronts currently had, even if they were mint alloys with new tyres there was no way I was going to roll around with Team Dynamics multifit Jets on them, proper chav sh*te.

They could do with a refurb but for the time being this is how they're staying, remains to be seen if they hold air for more than a day.

1625947112135.png

Tried and failed to do a service because the sump nut is cross threaded, the oil was like black tar so I put engine flush in it which I now couldn't get out, the oil filter housing was also stuck solid and needed a hammer to hit the socket to make it move, so only managed to change the air filter last weekend which was long overdue, another bad omen, I don't think this thing's been serviced in a very long time.

1625947431795.png

So bought a new sump off ebay for £25 and took it and the rest of the stuff I failed to do over to my good mate Ryan (@Dr HMS Derv Destroyer), who's has been fixing my broken junk for years and is the only reason the Clio has carried on working as long as it has.

As soon as I pulled up he said "your brake pad's fallen out", turns out he was wrong it hadn't fallen out at all, it had completely disintegrated and come away from the backing plate, on the way over I did think "why is there a slight judder when braking"?

That's why!

1625947995559.png

So with everything closed on a Saturday afternoon the only place that had pads wanted £28, although not expensive it's certainly more expensive than normal oem pads, especially as there going in the bin as soon as i've sourced new discs as they're so f*cked Ryan had to take a grinder to them to get all the rusted crap off so the pads had a decent surface to make contact with.

1625948305247.png

Oh well it's an old car there's bound to be a few things wrong with it, as long as that's all that's wrong then.......oh

1625948717818.png

Going well so far, don't worry it gets worse, in the end the last two bolts on the sump were seized solid and are going to take longer than a Sat afternoon to sort so the new sump will have to wait for another day, at least the oil got changed by removing the sensor and dropping it out that hole instead, didn't get any photos of that as Ryan was swearing a lot by this point so I stayed well out of his way.

Also has the wrong battery but the guy I bought it off said it fired up instantly after sitting for two weeks, it also fired up instantly after sitting on my drive for two weeks, so i'm not counting that as a problem that needs fixing.

1625948886776.png

It has H&R springs on the back with Sachs dampers, but new oem springs on the front, so it's got some serious reverse rake.

1625949344629.png

Bodywork isn't too bad, one front wings has a dent and loads of scratches, a sill has lost a fight with a jack, the rear bumper looks like a small dog has been jumping in and out the back as there are loads of tiny claw marks, there's a few rust bubbles here and there but nothing too bad, interior is in excellent nick but by this point we'd had enough so I couldn't be arsed to take a photo, plus it was full of parts and wheels, anyway it should scrub up well.

I vinyl wrapped the front grill which i'm not sure about tbh, Ryan said it looks like i've fitted the poverty spec grill.

1625949802594.png

1625949985004.png

So all in all a bit of a basket case with a good engine and gearbox, Ryan said he's seen worse but that's the car equivalent of saying "your misses seems alright, i've f*cked far uglier than that".

List of parts so far :

Bottom arms x2 (bushes are damn near popping out)
Front discs & pads
Drivers side calliper
Track rod ends (seized solid and it tracks like a broken shopping trolley)
Inner tie rods
Drop links
Two front H&R springs to match the back, or just find a full set of something on FB.

I think that's about it, not my best buy but nothing throwing money at it won't fix.

Last edited:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
No point pretending i've bought a minter, it'll be all the more sweeter when it's fixed up and turned into a 200bhp sleeper.

On the plus side I can't believe how cheap parts are for these, i've half completed that list of parts and it's only come to sixty quid so far, i'm used to 172 and BMW prices, this is like budget motoring!

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
How did you get it to Ryan full of engine flush? Or don’t I want to know? 😂
The oil was black tar, so it just turned it back into the consistency it's meant to be.

Used it to take the dog out today and I can hear the turbo spooling at 1500k now, there's still no boost until 2k but it's starting to feel a bit smoother, the engine flush definitely helped.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
To be fair it a 20yrold golf think what a mk2 and 3 golffs were like at 10 year old and the fact 90% of 130s were tuning boxed and ragged to death

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
At least it's better than the Mazda Wagon I bought a few years back as a winter car, that shat it's water pump almost straight away, at least PD130's have a reputation for being damn near indestructible.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
The oil filter housing was always tight on my PD130, will come free when it's hot. I'd usually crack it off when it was hot, then leave everything to cool down before taking it out.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Project f*ck up continues, over the past two weeks i've been buying new parts to drag this thing kicking and screaming back to being a decent car, all this stuff was going to be done to it anyway I just didn't expect to have to do it all at once.

Wishbones, droplinks, tie rods, track rod ends, front callipers, discs and pads all round, 35mm lowering springs.
IMG_20210725_152557.jpg

We managed a wishbone and droplink (singular)

IMG_20210725_165512.jpg

It took a fair bit of persuasion to get the wishbone off as everything is caked up with rust and shite, alot of stuff needed whacking with a lump hammer, other stuff just got cut off because we couldn't be arsed to fight it, so by the time we'd got that done it was half five and time to go home, Ryan was also exhausted because he went to Cannock Chase woods with a load of lads and came back tired, aching and with a sore arse, he said he was mountain biking, but i'm not so sure.

The steering wheel's now straight and it tracks so much better even with just one side done, i'm starting to think this was a modified car at one point and all the good bits got sold and replaced by knackered shite, because it's so much faster than 130bhp should be which makes me think it's been mapped at some point, despite all the parts it needs throwing at it I really like this car, which is just as well as i'll be working on it for quite a few months.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Another Sunday of removing rusty crap and replacing it with shiny bits, the other wishbone went on and the tie rods and track rod ends replaced.

IMG_20210801_163924.jpg

New fuel filter, I had intended to replace the fuel hoses too but I got f*cked around on 8mm hose by a few places so that'll have to wait until next week.

IMG_20210801_165459.jpg

Figured out why there's a puddle of water under the front every morning, that rusty coolant pipe has a pinhole leak that pisses rusty brown coolant water everywhere, Ryan used some special blue tack to seal it until I can get another pipe, it'll need a coolant flush as it looks like it's been topped up with water, it looks like the thermostat's still good but i'll get another one anyway as they're cheap.

IMG_20210801_163902.jpg

There are a few other issues that have showed up, the duel pump weeps diesel a bit and the hose under it has been cut down and extra bit of hose bodged on, the dog bone is also clunking which i'll polybush, we're also now convinced it's got a 180bhp map on it, Ryan drove it with me as a passenger and he properly kicked it in the guts and it's easily as quick as the Clio when the boost kicks in.

That's pretty much it for this week, i'll get it tracked tomorrow as the steering wheel is massively on the piss now, hopefully they'll be no more disasters now and I can get a weeks motoring out of it without something else going wrong.

Last edited:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Got the gasket already but Ryan tells me if the pump's coming off we'll need a few other gaskets and bits & bobs too as loads of stuff has to be removed to get at it, I told him to pm me later with the list of stuff I need to order as forgotten pretty much everything he told me because i'm a f*cking mong that did too many drugs in the 90's and now my memory doesn't work properly.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/DS3/vivaro
It’ll be all sorted , just most stuff it’s preventative maintenance whilst other stuff is off, still got to smash the old sump off to remove the two fucked bolts

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I need help finding the right part as I've spent an hour looking for it and I'm still no better off, some sites say it's £20, other £80, none of them say they're for an ASZ engine, I need the main metal coolant pipe on the front of the engine, the one under the black and grey connectors.

I'm probably just being a mong and typing the wrong thing, other than going to a scrap yard and showing them the pipe i'm out of ideas, i've ran out of patience looking for this thing.

IMG_20210802_165739.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I need help finding the right part as I've spent an hour looking for it and I'm still no better off, some sites say it's £20, other £80, none of them say they're for an ASZ engine, I need the main metal coolant pipe on the front of the engine, the one under the black and grey connectors.

I'm probably just being a mong and typing the wrong thing, other than going to a scrap yard and showing them the pipe i'm out of ideas, i've ran out of patience looking for this thing.

View attachment 1551118
What do you need it for? Is it leaking or something? If so can you get someone to weld it up?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes and springs today, springs are 35mm Pro Sport's which I didn't take a photo of before we fitted them because I forgot, callipers are pattern parts probably from China but will be an improvement on than the rusty crap with blown piston rubbers it had on.

Discs and pads are just oem spec that I bought as a job lot off ebay for £70, at this point i'm just going for getting the thing working right with mostly standard parts, things will get upgraded further down the line as the power increases, but for now standard will do.

IMG_20210808_155824.jpg

Shocks are in decent nick with no leaks or misting so they can stay, one less thing to spend money on, the top mount bearings were a bit crusty but a quick squirt of UB40 got them freed up and spinning nicely.

IMG_20210808_165642.jpg

Because we did the wishbones last week everything came off nice and easy, shocks were a bit awkward to get off, removing them with the hubs attached then knocking them off separately was the easiest way to do it.

IMG_20210808_172902.jpg

Rears next

IMG_20210808_173853.jpg

There were a right f*cking state

IMG_20210808_173946.jpg
IMG_20210808_174020.jpg

Pads were in the same state as the fronts were, except these didn't disintegrate and fall out while I was driving, but they weren't far off.

IMG_20210808_175951.jpg
IMG_20210808_184109.jpg

Discs weren't any better

IMG_20210808_180336.jpg

As I said in a previous post the fronts had standard springs and the rears were H&R's that didn't look that old which begs the question, what happened to the fronts?

IMG_20210808_174537.jpg

More photos incoming because of the 10 photo limit.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Looks so much better now the front matches the back

IMG_20210808_190601.jpg

I've decided my vinyl wrapped grill looks sh*t so i'll be putting that back to normal, as seeing other people Golf's with colour coded grills look much better.

IMG_20210808_190627.jpg

I bought new subframe mounts as there was quite a loud clunking from both sides when braking to a stop or pulling away, turns out the mounts were fine it was actually the brand new wishbones we fitted, the ball joints were loose because in Ryan's words the nuts and bolts were made from 'monkey metal', so they were f*cked off and new ones scrounged from the workshops random parts box.

We have discovered a few quirks with this car, like it having one new brake hose, new rear number plate lights and a few other random new bits and bobs, but not the important stuff like brakes, suspension and a leaking turbo, we think a previous owner gave a sh*t, then the next owner didn't give a f*ck and just ran it into the ground.

We're getting there now, it's slowly turning into a well sorted car.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
What’s it driving like now?
Pretty decent, it corners a lot better than I thought it would, it's only hampered by it's tyres they came with the alloys I bought, but BBS Montreal's for a hundred quid with four decent tyres that have good tread you can't complain, i'm quite enjoying just cruising about as the seats are really comfortable.

I should fit my stereo this week, see if the sound system's any good.