ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golf PD130 Banger

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking that. It reminded me of photos I'd taken on phones like the tiny Sony Ericsson phones we had in the 90's.

Meemmmmoorrrriiiiieeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.....
I always forget to wipe my finger prints off the lens before I use it.

Porl

ClioSport Club Member
Ryan's not worried and thinks it's a decent base to start with which gives me confidence, plus if it was perfect there'd be nothing to do and where's the fun in that?
Screen shot 2015-05-18 at 8.10.53 PM.jpg

From good base's great things can be built👍🤣🤣. Good work so far Dave, sorry I mean @Dr HMS Derv Destroyer. It'll be a great daily once you've sunk £20k into it.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I think i'm around £1300-£1400 all in so far and there's still other parts sat waiting to go on, I could spend that on a lower mileage model that still might need a load of new parts thrown at it, so i'm within a reasonably sensible budget so far.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think i'm around £1300-£1400 all in so far and there's still other parts sat waiting to go on, I could spend that on a lower mileage model that still might need a load of new parts thrown at it, so i'm within a reasonably sensible budget so far.
If you can make it proper tidy and nice (not chav) I don’t think you’ll lose money on it.
There will be a strong following for nice ones as so many ended up with popcorn maps and rotten out.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Well sorted ones go for £2,500 although they do have much lower mileage, but once the belts and pulleys are done and it's running somewhere between 200-230bhp it should get close to that, if I get 80% of my money back i'll be happy with that, the one thing these have going for them is the scene is so strong replacement parts and body panels are cheap and plentiful.

Last edited:

Porl

ClioSport Club Member
But once sorted it'll keep chugging away for a good few years yet. Then it'll be worth more on some save the trees/bees/ozone/vegans scrappage scheme.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/DS3/vivaro
It’s all stuff id expect a 20year old shitbox to have wrong with it hence I’m not that alarmed … pmsl. Go and find me a pd130 GTD with near new brakes all round and nearly all the suspension like new …

pressure bleed and flush brakes next , must get access to master cylinder bleed points aswell. Fuel hoses before one of those goes bang and f***s the tandem pump up, see what oil leak is on turbo, hopefully return gasket, and see if can get the bolts moving on rear frame shackles and front frame points read for bushes to be changed

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I want to see if that leak is the brake master cylinder or the turbo, then do the Mr Muscle clean and burn of the turbo manifold, i've never used fire as a modification before, at least not on purpose.

New metal coolant pipe is showing up from Germany tomorrow, so we can drop the bong water and put actual coolant in it.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
The auto dimming rear view mirror came pre-broken so i've been on the look out for one since I bought the car.

IMG_20210814_163612.jpg

I could have just bought the first one I saw but people ask silly money for them, anything from £60-£140 so I was on the hunt for one locally where they weren't taking the piss, the other day one popped up on FB for £20 in Hinkley which is just 30 mins up the M69 from me.

IMG_20210814_164755.jpg

I watched a YT vid on how to do swap them and it was as much of a fiddly pain in the arse as it looked on the vid, the easy bit is remove the two bits of casing.

IMG_20210814_165159.jpg

Then unlug this blurry little stubborn b*stard and slide the mirror off by leavening that metal clip out, then discover two stone chips you knew nothing and sh*t yourself thinking you just caused them by leavening the clips off with a screwdriver.

IMG_20210814_164041.jpg

Then forget to take a photo of the windscreen with no mirror at all and fit the new one by doing the reverse while swearing at the awkward fiddly b*stard.

IMG_20210814_165402.jpg

The old one only had one sensor on the front I don't know what the other one does, it also a button and two red led's under it that light up the gear stick, f*ck knows why.

Anyone know what the button does? I pressed it but nothing happened and it doesn't turn the led's on and off, i'm assuming it turns the auto dimmer off?

Last edited:

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
The auto dimming rear view mirror came pre-broken so i've been on the look out for one since I bought the car.

View attachment 1553018

I could have just bought the first one I saw but people ask silly money for them, anything from £60-£140 so I was on the hunt for one locally where they weren't taking the piss, the other day one popped up on FB for £20 in Hinkley which is just 30 mins up the M69 from me.

View attachment 1553019

I watched a YT vid on how to do swap them and it was as much of a fiddly pain in the arse as it looked on the vid, the easy bit is remove the two bits of casing.

View attachment 1553020

Then unlug this blurry little stubborn b*stard and slide the mirror off by leavening that metal out, then discover two stone chips you knew nothing and sh*t yourself thinking you just caused them by leavening the clips off with a screwdriver.

View attachment 1553023

Then forget to take a photo of the windscreen with no mirror at all and fit the new one by doing the reverse while swearing at the awkward fiddly b*stard.

View attachment 1553024

The old one only had one sensor on the front I don't know what the other one does, it also a button and two red led's under it that light up the gear stick, f*ck knows why.

Anyone know what the button does? I pressed it but nothing happened and it doesn't turn the led's on and off, i'm assuming it turns the auto dimmer off?
Yeah should turn the dimmer on and off

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The little red LED’s are lights that light up the interior/controls ever so slightly. That’s they’re function.
Secondeded.

They're there to give you an idea in the dark what's going on .. red light (think photography darkroom) is less intrusive to the eye.

Good work with the banger revival (y)

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Secondeded.

They're there to give you an idea in the dark what's going on .. red light (think photography darkroom) is less intrusive to the eye.

Good work with the banger revival (y)
Yeah bmws had them for a million years but interestingly our skoda got white lights

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Time for another instalment of Dreads does nothing while Ryan does all the work, brakes needed pressure bleeding as they were a little spongy after fitting then last week.

IMG_20210815_162103.jpg

The old brake fluid looked like your Granddads piss, it was a lot darker than that before the new stuff started coming through.

IMG_20210815_164014.jpg

Good opportunity to take a terrible photo of the egr, we were expecting it to be gunked up to f*ck but it's not that bad.

IMG_20210815_160517.jpg

The 8-10mm hose clips I bought for the 8mm fuel lines are too small, so that'll have to wait for another day.

IMG_20210815_154640.jpg

Next was swapping over the head unit for something in focus that doesn't look like it come out of the 80's.

IMG_20210815_144051.jpg

Wiring was mental and held together with sellotape.

IMG_20210815_145031.jpg

My stereo has it's own connectors so I didn't have to bother messing about with wires, I either forgot or didn't know the aerial has a plug that needed swapping over, I said to Ryan 'i've learnt something new today' to which his response was 'what, that you're a f*cking r*tard'?

IMG_20210815_145710.jpg

The connectors didn't want to play ball so the shelf had to come out to get to them.

IMG_20210815_150717.jpg

BOOM!!!! Done.......except now the central locking didn't work, so it had to come back out and be unplugged, a couple of connectors swapped over, then re-fit and swear at it some more.

IMG_20210815_150849.jpg

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
We also discovered that I only have one mud flap, they're only £12 a set.

IMG_20210815_161527.jpg
IMG_20210815_161534.jpg

Springs have had time to settle and i'm quite happy with the subtle 35mm drop, I didn't want it slammed as it's a daily and Cov is full of speed bumps, it is crying out for some spacers though, especially on the back.

IMG_20210815_192137.jpg

Finished the day off by going for a spin in Ryan's Vauxhall Traffic Clio van.

IMG_20210815_170014.jpg

It's got the 1.9 diesel out of his old trackday Clio that was running 180bhp.

IMG_20210815_170003.jpg

It has no exhaust is loud as f*ck and smoke fills the cabin when you boot it, it's already pretty quick and it's only on the stock ecu.

IMG_20210815_165828.jpg

Once the 180bhp map get loaded it's going to take quite a few cars by surprise, there's talk of taking it on track at CSF so he can hurt some feelings. :cool:

2014 Clio 200t edc
Good progress and nice to see the golf being saved! Looks much better now.
when I had my Fabia vrs I did the ‘elephant mod’ which did feel like it made a difference. Worth having a look for a few quid.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Just read up on the elephant mod, weird name for what is basically an oil breather, but if it helps it run better i'll give it a go.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Just read up on the elephant mod, weird name for what is basically an oil breather, but if it helps it run better i'll give it a go.
Yeah sorry, I couldn’t think then what it was, but I used a length of pipe and a filter. It passed an mot too with it on. Agreed very strange name, but when you do it it does look like an elephant trunk (unless mine was too long! Ha)

On costs, I did much the same but took the oppotunity to uprate everything to TTQ or LCR bits, but then held onto the car for 100k miles and 5 years. Over that time it was about £1000/year, or 5p a mile including tyres (plus fuel, tax etc).

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Stuff will get upgraded over time, TT's cast wishbones, S3 subframes and intercoolers, bigger brakes, for now i'm just getting it road worthy as quickly as I can, my industry is starting up again so I need a decent car for the motorways, I am planning on keeping it for a couple of years or until i've made enough money to buy something else on my list of cars to own and just take a bit of a loss on it.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Current dog setup in the back isn't ideal, I took the seat bases out but the rear bench takes up a lot of room, I didn't want to pull it all out and have no boot like the Clio as i'd quite like to be able to put things in the boot without them sliding into the dog every time I braked.

IMG_20210818_133612.jpg

VW did make a factory fit dog guard for the boot so no bodgery needed to cage it off, these are normally around £30-£60 second hand so so when one came up for a fiver on FB I was on it, unfortunately it was in Southampton, but good old CS logistics kicked into action and @nicked95 came to the rescue and picked it up for me as he was down there for the weekend, he lives near Cov and was working in Nuneaton today so he dropped it off this morning. (cheers mate you're a top bloke)

It just hooks over the metal loops and the seats secure it in place so it had to be zip tied to the luggage clips, I think i'll get some padlocks to secure it a bit better and stop it rattling or falling on him.

IMG_20210818_141900.jpg

Seats and belts came out pretty easy but i'm left with this big chunk of metal he can break his toes on, as far as I can tell it's welded in with no visible means of removing it, so the only thing I could do was cover it in bubble wrap and hope it doesn't get in his way.

IMG_20210818_142451.jpg

IMG_20210818_143609.jpg

Bit more space for him to spread out, now I just need some rubber floor mats and a large waterproof tarp or something so it doesn't all get wet and mouldy in winter, which is why the Clio originally got partially stripped, I might try and source some leather door cards so they don't attract hair and just wipe clean when he covers everything in mud.

IMG_20210818_143410.jpg

The arm rest came pre broken so I thought i'd have a go at bodging that back together, they're only £30 for a new one but while it still needs engine parts i'm not spending money on non essential stuff.

IMG_20210818_143642.jpg

Drilled a few holes and zip tied it.

IMG_20210818_144531.jpg

But this didn't really work and it wouldn't sit right, had a few more goes at different positioning and tying them a bit looser but it wasn't having it.

IMG_20210818_145859.jpg

In the end I thought f*ck this and cut the end off an old sock, should have just done that at the start and saved myself 20 mins of swearing.

IMG_20210818_150905.jpg

And before anyone asks no i'm not going to do anything about the dog hair, at least not until i've found a large enough waterproof tarp.

Last edited:

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
I’ve got to ask. How big is the dog if you’ve took the back seats out!

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Current dog setup in the back isn't ideal, I took the seat bases out but the rear bench takes up a lot of room, I didn't want to pull it all out and have no boot like the Clio as i'd quite like to be able to put things in the boot without them sliding into the dog every time I braked.

View attachment 1553608

VW did make a factory fit dog guard for the boot so no bodgery needed to cage it off, these are normally around £30-£60 second hand so so when one came up for a fiver on FB I was on it, unfortunately it was in Southampton, but good old CS logistics kicked into action and @nicked95 came to the rescue and picked it up for me as he was down there for the weekend, he lives near Cov and was working in Nuneaton today so he dropped it off this morning. (cheers mate you're a top bloke)

It just hooks over the metal loops and the seats secure it in place so it had to be zip tied to the luggage clips, I think i'll get some padlocks to secure it a bit better and stop it rattling or falling on him.

View attachment 1553610

Seats and belts came out pretty easy but i'm left with this big chunk of metal he can break his toes on, as far as I can tell it's welded in with no visible means of removing it, so the only thing I could do was cover it in bubble wrap and hope it doesn't get in his way.

View attachment 1553613

View attachment 1553612

Bit more space for him to spread out, now I just need some rubber floor mats and a large waterproof tarp or something so it doesn't all get wet and mouldy in winter, which is why the Clio originally got partially stripped, I might try and source some leather door cards so they don't attract hair and just wipe clean when he covers everything in mud.

View attachment 1553614

The arm rest came pre broken so I thought i'd have a go at bodging that back together, they're only £30 for a new one but while it still needs engine parts i'm not spending money on non essential stuff.

View attachment 1553615

View attachment 1553616

But this didn't really work and it wouldn't sit right, had a few more goes at different positioning and tying them a bit looser but it wasn't having it.

View attachment 1553617

In the end I thought f*ck this and cut the end off an old sock, should have just done that at the start and saved myself 20 mins of swearing.

View attachment 1553618

And before anyone asks no i'm not going to do anything about the dog hair, at least not until i've found a large enough waterproof tarp.
£30 new fek sake i remember when they were as rare as rocking horse s**t and was all the extra to have

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

View attachment 1553608

View attachment 1553610

View attachment 1553613

View attachment 1553612

View attachment 1553614

View attachment 1553615

View attachment 1553616

View attachment 1553617

In the end I thought f*ck this and cut the end off an old sock, should have just done that at the start and saved alt="IMG_20210818_150905.jpg"]1553618[/ATTACH]

That pic made me lol reminds me when we were at the rolling road day years ago and the bloke opened the door to you 172 to drive it to rollers (which had even more dog hair than in that poc everywhere inside) he went ooooh (face went white as ghost thought he would pass out!) f**k me mate can't get in there I am allergic to dogs!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
His exact words were "I can't get in that i've got asthma" in a Brummie accent, he then went in the garage and came out in hazmat suit to drive it onto the rollers.