ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 cup - Time Attack Build

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a new inlet turn up yesterday, getting send off to MS engineering for portmatching and gas flowed. So starts the engine work
B2464042-1BD7-47E7-A36E-B1483D51C9C8.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
So someone sent this over to me the other day, I’ve been wanting to race for a while now and I might have to build the car up for this, might have to change a couple bit though unfortunately 😂
E64D458E-1AA5-4F6E-A9DC-C2EF9D81AAE9.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
New dogbone mount and sports cat arrived. Just waiting for it to get booked in to get everything fitted and mapped .. and then we're even closer to track days!

1638031062315.png

1638031090832.png

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
New dogbone mount and sports cat arrived. Just waiting for it to get booked in to get everything fitted and mapped .. and then we're even closer to track days!

View attachment 1568204

View attachment 1568205
So many nice mods on your car. The dog bone will be great once it's bedded in. They do make the interior rattle for a few weeks though but stick with it.

Have you got a date for the remap ?

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
So today was the big day .. MAPPING!

Alex sorted out the exhaust and the sports cat on it and had it send to engine dynamics for mapping and inlet testing.
This is the report alex had sent me, bit long but better than explaining it !

Nope all good.

Obviously this morning we tested it with manifold already fitted, with the old map testing was pointless, although wasn’t much in it top end.

Loaded our base map, good enough to test. Produced 197hp.

With inlets swapped, no other changes 198hp.

That’s within enough to say the inlets do absolutely sod all top end.

Everything looks healthy & correct. Airbox is restricting it a bit, proved by disconnecting air filter when we made 206hp.

Would have been nice to test it prior to exhaust manifold etc, but the point of today, manifold makes no difference, reduces torque in mid range by 3lbft, otherwise exactly the same.

Overall it’s been okay, 198hp as it sits, 206hp with an open cone type filter. No need for map tweak with cone air filter fitted.

Nice to finally have some proof that inlets are pointless on these!

Very happy and a good rest over all, ordered a ktec induction kit to bring it up to its full power
7A1FC026-5A62-4C27-8178-020D1559928E.jpeg

57A23172-F45D-491B-B7C6-342C0825995D.jpeg

Clio RS 200
Interesting information about the standard airbox restricting the airflow. I always thought that induction kits on these cars, or open cones, created an entertaining noise but lost a tiny amount of power.

Good figures at 206 bhp.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Does it sound any better with the new manifold and Sports cat ?
Bet it will sound great with the Ktec induction kit.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Great result there, must drive sensational. Looking great in the bay as well with the painted manifold. I'd recommend some Autosol to polish up the cambelt cover and the engine mount. It will clean up nicely with some elbow grease.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Got the car back today .. drives super well and sounds amazing, just as you’d expect!
ordered a ktec induction kit yesterday which I fitted when I got home today (unfortunately was in a rush so no fitting pics)
And also have the dyno charts comparing the stock and port matched inlets
E379007B-7E01-426C-AED2-6B375C33639F.jpeg
F07AECC2-AD1E-4023-A3F1-9DD908078040.jpeg
39EC68FE-9B1A-4602-AD52-4B95D56C6B0D.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Great result there, must drive sensational. Looking great in the bay as well with the painted manifold. I'd recommend some Autosol to polish up the cambelt cover and the engine mount. It will clean up nicely with some elbow grease.
Ill definitely give that a go when it warms up a bit! :D

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Unfortunately no pictures from this visit to Alex, but this is the list I did have done 😂

underside is now fully bushed with black series bushings, pure motorsport stud and nut kit, 21mm spacers up front and 10mm hub axle spacers rear.

arb, rear beam and wishbones all have black series bushings, new inner and outer tie rods along with new ball joints, so the only thing that’s left is the swivel hubs and that’s 99% of the suspension and handling done which is nice!
BED1817B-F16D-40C9-9881-8FBDC141B2EA.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
adding to my last post .. woops.
Along side another alignment check due to the set up changing slightly with spacers / toe needing correcting ..

shims needed for the rear but gotta work out how I want it to feel first
A56491A6-A3A6-4BB1-AD65-34B94C4C25DB.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Wrote a spec list out for the car earlier today to see what I had done, thought I'd share it for those who are interested in the progress so far.

Engine / Gearbox:

Rebuilt gearbox (New 3rd to 6th syncro's, all new bearings)
Black line LSD
Toyo sports manifold
Scorpion sports cat
Miltek cat back system
Ktec induction kit
Portmatched/gas flowed inlet painted red
Mapped to 206.5 @ Engine Dynamics

Suspension:

Road series Poly bushings:

Engine, gearbox and torque mount.
Black series dog mount
K brace
No rear seats, with extended boot Matt
YellowSpeed coilovers 4kg/7kg spring rates
Black series bushings:
Wishbones, Front anti-roll bar, rear beam
New lower ball joint's
Inner/outter tie rods
21mm spacers front
10mm hub axle spacers
Stud and nut kit
Geo set up:
-2.3 camber / -.10 toe front
-2 camber rear (toe needs dialling in)

Brakes:

Hel braided brake lines in red
Brembo HC discs
Ds3000 pads front
Standard pads/discs rear
New abs rings both rear sides.

Exterior:

Renaultsport factory splitter, skirts and wing
Ktec carbon wing ends
Cup racer towing eye

Picture as she stands:
1644267627906.png

Should be getting a set of some AD08RS's and a bucket seat and harness set up next month. exciting times being closer to getting onto track again!

Last edited:

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
So I was meant to have Bedford At the end of the month .. but now having to put it off until this is sorted 🙃
Potential swivel hubs bearings have gone, just after getting everything else sorted, this is the last thing that needed doing but didn’t expect it to sound like this.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Along with getting the swivel hubs sorted now .. may have just made one of my most exciting purchases 😂 two weeks and counting until it’s here 😍
A89CC5F3-C676-49CA-85C8-CC36648457E9.jpeg

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Went out to Bedford today, unfortunately not with the clio! My mate was up there with his MG ZS, 2.5 v6 lump, stripped out, semi slicks and yellow stuff pads. Most fun I’ve had in a car for a while

until

AD2F3AAA-5C3F-4466-BC20-5244363CB37E.jpeg

I ended up blowing the engine up 😂
Blew up, seized and sent oil all over a poor I30N behind me

safe to say, he’s getting a new track car 😂

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Got the shifter fitted today .. 100% transformed the gear changes, much more direct feeling, and the shorter throw just helps a lot more as well!

fortunately today at Alex’s the swivel hubs where okay, turns out they’ve been changed before .. it’s just the steering rack that’s buggered. So we’ve got a 200 cup one coming to be fitted next week, should improve the turn ins with the quicker rack ratio

1649254659774.png

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
So been debating the next few steps for The cars progress this past week
Full cage
Buckets and harnesses this summer hopefully.

And then a long term build of getting the engine forged and a G25-550 and all the supporting goodies, my target power is somewhere over 400+ which should make it very lively

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Deffo looks nekkkid without the badges. Great work on the car so far mate👍. Are you going to csf this year?
Thanks man, yeah I’m feeling that too!
on the search for one of the newer ones in black and red atm.

i am, I’m there for the weekend, I have track time in the morning as well which will be exciting!

Renault Clio RS 197
It was either one of these or an EP3 premier, this came out top and im happy i chose it
Congratulations on your Clio 197 (I'm biased :LOL:), you made a great choice!

I also have a Clio 197 and, previously, I had an EP3, I find the 197 to be a more complete car.