ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction - any ideas

Im sure this has been done one million times, but

Im thinking about replacing the standard element with an uprated one (K&N/Green/Piper X etc) what gains, if any can I expect?

Basically is it worth it? Will I notice any difference?

Would I be better off spending a bit more on the BMC/Viper route?

Renault Laguna Coupe

According to all known wisdon the only benefit youll get from an element is the ability to wash it out and re-use it. A nice new air filter will be just as good. An induction kit will sound brilliant, and may even convince you that your car goes faster (my Magnex does this!!) but it probably wont really make any difference.

The real answer seems to be: Induction kit - more air in and colder (therefore denser more oxygen); exhaust - spent air and fuel out faster; CHIP - most important - matched to the induction kit and the zorst on a rolling road, to sort out the fuelling.

Apparently Hill Power can do this. And when Ive got the money Ill be right there getting it done.
Mike.

BMW 320d Sport

hehe which wisdom tells you that the only benefit of an element is that you can wash it and reuse it? The whole point is that its made of the same stuff as a cone filter so has the same filtration properties *which does not clog up very quickly like a paper element*. The big difference is that even though the idea behind an induction kit is to get more air in and colder, in fact it only sucks in more hot air. Not really much good for anything.

With an element you get the ability to draw in more air consistently *and* you get guaranteed cold air cos the original pipework and airbox is in place.

Renault Laguna Coupe

What about those induction kits that have exterior inlets tho Nick? How do they let hot air in? My car sems to have a couple of air inlets (down by the wheel arch - cant quite see where the second pipe goes) and Id have expected a closed induction kit with a scoop to match this rather than making things worse...

Phoned DT and the Pipercross panel filter is £32. Money well spent if the filter then stays cleaner for longer.

Then you can put the £100 odd you save on NOT buying a cone filter towards a decent exhaust

BMW 320d Sport

Mike, yeah a closed induction kit with a scoop will definitely not let hot air in, youre right.

My definition of induction kit is an open cone filter of some kind with a couple of crappy bits of pipe that dont fit properly and blow cold air roughly in the direction you want while all the while the hot air circulating around the engine bay is being drawn through the filter in much greater quantities.

Any induction kit like this can have as many external air feeds as you like, but if the filter itself is not sealed from engine heat then its not much good.

Your Clio should, if I remember right, have the cylindrical airbox then two pipes running down above the wheelarch just under the headlight. Theres a small kind of scoop thing there where the two pipes join up? At least thats what I remember from a Mk 1.

The Clio Cup cars have a bigger scoop with one big bore outlet, the scoop itself is much more forward under the headlight.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Ah - thanks Nick thats cleared that one up - I was under the impression that all induction kits came with a sealed cold air supply. Its a wonder they sell so many of the open ones isnt it?

Telford_mike, "open" filters sound good,but let all the hot air in from the engine (read:-less horsepower).maybe not a problem during wuinter or on the motorway,but crap at the 0-60 traffic light sprint in the summer.
ive got a "green" replacement filter,dont know about any power gains,but is a lot smoother to drive with a nice sound(ish...if you want more sound remove top air duct hose from box,honest).
green are identical to k+n and DT do them.about 35 to 40 quid.
grant.

Rs197r27

Ive just recived my pipercross replacement panel filter from dt it cost £30:00 so I will be fiting it to night and I will let you know if their is any difference with it fitted

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I often wonder how they got away with selling so many open induction kits for so long. Probably cos cars used to have more room inside their engine bays.

They definitely can work on some cars, just not big-engined Clios.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Nick,

Had any joy with your CDA yet?

Still waiting on mine so hopefully this time next weekend I will have it sorted.

Let us know when yours is fitted and I will do likewise. Co. who is sorting out the adaptor may want to RR the car before and after fitting so that might prove interesting!

Matty

BMW 320d Sport

Bloody Italians are all on holiday for August. So I doubt Ill see my CDA until September at the earliest...will definitely post on here when I get it fitted though.

basic cone filters are for carbs as its hard to donstruct a sirbox for them, tradition has just kept evolution from taking place.

However, i have just RRded the piper-x viper on my MK2 172. Its got a single large bore pipe goin down to the front bumper where the inlet sits in front of the rad.....gave a few extra BHP....i have the graph, but will need to scan it.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4493105/Renault+Service+Club+meeting/Viper+Top+3.jpg?bcrHaX9Akkm9GVEH

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4493105/Renault+Service+Club+meeting/Viper+Top+1.jpg?bcrHaX9AxAzYstNA

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4493105/Renault+Service+Club+meeting/Viper+Top+1.jpg?bcrHaX9AxAzYstNA

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4493105/Renault+Service+Club+meeting/Viper+behind+bumper.jpg?bcrHaX9A2B_gKfC2

its gonna have to wait for the cliocup (race) exhaust till i can chip it..but yes it need chipping...will post more pics later.
its gained about 4-5bhp...but ambient temps were about 37 deg c!!!