ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Assessors......Help Please LOL

H22A7 Accord Type R

Ok guys, here is the deal! Upon leaving Scotland after my holiday, around 3 weeks ago, i hit a HUGE ramp in the road - from Roadworks. This Ramp was at the bottom oh a little hill, on a 60mph country road. I was cruising along at 60, sunny day, windows down, choons on, notices a sign, Roadworks, 400yards, ok, hill, the odd cone, looks down, hmmm, road looks a bit rough...........?................BANG!!!!!!!!!!! Thrown out of my seat, knocked the window wipers on on my way back down, felt a moment of nothingness (thats the best way i can describe it), then thought, ooooh sh*t, stop at side of road, as steering wheel is at 5 to 4!

Gets out, looks at car, hmmm yeah, much negative camber, tracking definately is out! still works tho, amazingly!! Stonger than i thought these clios LOL!

Anyway, to cut a long story short (very long story), the car is not very driveable, and i was brought home from Scotland by the AA. (Cheers guys!!).

Damage.......front wheels sitting at a stupid negative camber angle, all 4 wheels flat spotted, Apex struts bent at the point where they meet the hub carrier.......unknown if any bottom arms / steering arms are bent as yet. Also, a few little creases and peaks in my roof, around the sunroof area.....ooooo, nice!

Ok, so, thinking, b****cks, gonna need to do this via insurance to make sure EVERYTHING is ok, not just a case of changing struts n that. Woopee, another claim for which I wasn’t really responsible! (got council details etc, passed them onto insurance but can see me having to pursue it myself).

Insurance informed – car dropped off at garage they instructed me to. Courtesy car given, cool. Tells them the areas of damage etc etc. I goes off in my wee orange Kia Picanto! (lmao). Days go by, insurance inform me that they have instructed an ‘independent assessor’ to look at the vehicle. Oh, ok…..yup. Days go by, this guy goes to look at the car……..

I gets a phone call from the bodyshop, there is a problem. The assessor is not happy with a few things on the car, they want the courtesy car back in the meantime! Hmmm, alarm bells are ringing! (I have declared all the mods). I rings insurance and plays hell. Need to wait for this guys report to come in now.

Report comes in, I get a copy sent out to me with a cover letter. The cover letter states that the assessor has not authorised repair as he feels the tyres are too large for the non-standard suspension. (I have non standard alloy wheels declared too – and remember, I am running 15s at the moment – RENAULT ones!)

So, I read the report. A few interesting points. Firstly, it states ‘substantially lowered’ (its sitting about 20mm lower than normal as the struts are bent), a BODYKIT which INCLUDES sideskirts to the sills? (that’s all it has??), a BIG BORE exhaust, and ALLOY wheels? (standard fit Renault ones).

Ok, next, ‘the wheels at the front showed a visible negative camber’…….erm, yup, they do NOW, hence why it is in for repair????

Car placed on lift etc, ‘it was possible to see new suspension struts and springs of a performance type had been fitted’ – I had the car on a jack and could see the struts were BENT, never mind on a lift!!?? Ehhhhhhhhh lol. So, not noticed that they are bent, ok….

This is a good bit – ‘BECAUSE OF THE SUSPENSION FITTED……the turning circle had been reduced and in full lock, the front wheels were catching and rubbing against the front anti-roll bar’…….ehhhhh, of course they are NOW, Rob goes hunting for his MOT certificate!!!! I mean, WTF!!??

‘evident that all 4 wheels are out of shape and not as manufactured’, yup, I agree with that…….

‘There was no evidence of the vehicle having a substantial underside impact’…….ok, nothing caught the road….

The roof – ‘areas of damage on each corner of the sunroof (and also one 2 inches in front of the sunroof, and one 2 inches behind it). ‘IT IS NOT KNOWN IF THIS DAMAGE WAS CAUSED WHEN THE SUNROOF WAS FITTED AS NO DATE IS AVAILABLE’….EHHHHHHHH???? Factory fitted sunroof?!?!?

Blah blah, ‘in our opinion, the damage is not consistent with the accident description’ My accident description was that I hit a very big unmarked ramp in the road at 60mph, felt a very big bang as the suspension bottomed out, knocked my tracking out and forced my wheels to now sit at the wrong angle.

Did everyone enjoy that??? Needless to say, I have not accepted this report as ‘gospel’ and am meeting this same assessor on Monday morning to go over the car WITH him. My insurance inform me that if the report does not alter from this original, I will be charged for his re-visit. LOL LOL!! If it doesn’t change, I will get another assessor in!

So, easy to feel things – drivers side, I can get my foot between the wheel and arch, passenger side, I cannot. Passenger side, I can get my finger between strut and tyre, drivers side I cannot, hmmm, something not right there? I don’t think it will be too difficult to prove some points on Monday. I am taking pictures of how the car should be, camber, wheels, roof, tracking reports – 2 or 3, an MOT certificate to show that it PASSED, apex receipts and receipts to show it was fitted before the MOT………God, its not rocket science?

Why on earth do they think the car is in for repair and I stand to loose another NCB???? For fun???

Once everyone can stop laughing at this, please feel free to comment. I have not posted about this on here as I just wanted to get it sorted, BUT, with them being sooo funny about it all now, I know that there are a lot of people in here who can advise me well on this matter, and give me some good ammunition to hit the assessor and insurance company with.

Monday should see things moving in the right direction once I have pointed out the cause of the above (its not nice to think these people who assess our cars can miss so many key things?).

Once this is all sorted out, there will be a few letters being sent to various companies, and, I will be advising people on here, and other forums, regarding who these people are. My insurance have already sent me a customer feedback form, and it has a nice section asking if I have been involved with any engineers etc, and requesting my feedback……….

Batter in guys, Rob………MR Lucky.

Mondeo STTDCI

I KNOW Flux use Highway...which is why I said Flux and stand by it. I smell Highway and Highway smell of billy bull sh*t.

H22A7 Accord Type R

LOL stop guessin companies, all will be revealed!! Assessor advice for Monday............

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I know the company!!! And your both as wrong as the assesor was! Its an absolute joke Rob, however I have just noticed how much tread youve got through on the eagles!!

H22A7 Accord Type R

yea but i have driven it with f**ked suspension so the tyres will have taken a pounding LOL

Lionel Richie

as i said, tell him to stick his report up his backside, if he carrys on being a nobber, request another assesor that knows his arse from his elbow

youve declared EVERYTHING, so there shouldnt be a problem

A well built VW

Fcukers , cant believe half of what you have posted , this is absolute nonsense Hopefully Monday will be fine and everything gets sorted

H22A7 Accord Type R

honestly mate, thats pretty much word-for-word!! if Monday doesnt go fine, the following will happen......i get billed for re-visit. I pay for my own assessor who knows what he is doing, insurance get billed for 2 assessors an refund me, and the original assessor gets taken to court for being incompetent!

I WILL HAVE THIS SORTED!!!

tiTTy & SV650

shady, should be straight forward when these things happen after all thats what we pay insurance for! Shame nothings ever black and white like that though.

Good luck getting it sorted.

let this be a warning to all the chancers that dont declare their mods, then you really wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

H22A7 Accord Type R

^^^ DEFINATELY!! I canny be arsed with the hassle anymore lol, when renewal time comes im selling her and getting a standard motor :)

Racing Blue 182

All the pictures you have of your car previous to accident will prove him wrong on most things. seems he does not have a clue what hes talking about. Insurance is a piss take.

I work for customer relations in insurance. You need to log a complaint with them, if its not sorted by the 2nd working day the complaint becomes reportable to the FSA. They should have issued you a letter within 5 days to tell you there at least looking into the complaint. once sorted they will give you a written response and if you arnt happy you have the right to go to the FOS who will sort things for you. (this info and a leaflet should be included in your response letter) hope this helps.

Insurance is a funny thing

Good look!

H22A7 Accord Type R

Thank you very very much Racing182! I will get on with typing up my letter once i have had my tea!!! THANK YOU :D

Racing Blue 182

Looks f**cked to me, the guy must be a muppet not to see whats wrong

[Edited by racing182 on 15 August 2005 at 6:25pm]

Btw what was his response when you met today?

ST

Quote: Originally posted by cli0 172 on 14 August 2005

If i was the assessor .... i would poof u ;)

seriously tho .... hope u get it all sorted m8
FFS Scott keep that kinda talk for msn!

The assessor was cleary a boy at the game if he couldnt see the problems there!

H22A7 Accord Type R

well, at first, he wasnt too sure i was gonna show him anything he didnt already know............after much chat, much showing of pics, tracking reports etc etc, much looking / feeling about, we got the car on the ramp, and i did identify a few points out to him, to which he said ah yea, i can see that......he STILL isnt convinced the roof can have flexed due to this kind of incident thought! But he is going to speak to some people. The guy was pretty sound towards the end of it all............lets just hope it wasnt 2 faced.....

Thing is though, once the suspension is at full travel, where else is the shock gonna go????????? erm, up the A-pillar i suggested!?

see how this report comes back, then if need be, im taking the car to another garage for another assessement!! every decent bodyshop i have spoken to has told me that the roof CAN take a bashing in this type of incident!! so....

its strange, the roof doesnt look as bad as it did! (its only a few very slight dents, but, im a fussy sh*t! told the guy its only going through insurance because i want to be 100% the car is straight! - prob be cheaper doing it myself lol)

Skoda Fabia vRS

dont take any sh*t, the thing with mine is proof that if you dont let em bum you, you can get what your rightfully entitled to

CJ

Blue ph1 172

Clios are notorious for when they have a bang, the roof just above the front doors warps. so a bang like that would definately have done the damage to the bit by the sun roof.

H22A7 Accord Type R

yea mate, thats the area!! still waiting to hear the outcome of the assessors revised report

H22A7 Accord Type R

*UPDATE*

well, LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

9 days after the re-visit from the assessor........we have a report! LOL LOL LOL!!!! i have just been on the blower to my insurers, and the lovely lady got a bit of an ear-full! which, i apologised to HER for, i know she is just doing her job.

So, grab some popcorn and a bucket for the tears of laugher to follow.........

the dimples in my roof, around the sunroof - and the slight creases 2inches out......their opinion is unchanged and this cannot be accepted as a result of this type of incident.........lol!

So it states that the owner (thats me) stated that it is a factory fitted sunroof - 1.2 16v tilt and remove YES!! - BUT our feelings are that it may have been fitted as an accessory from the original selling dealer....LOL, i know how much they squeak, you think i would pay extra for that! PML.....lets ask reno how much it is for a sunroof fitted to a 1.2 16v...........oh sh*tttt, its NOT OPTIONAL on my 51 or 02 Plate cars!!! Yes, i am going to have fun with my letters of complaint!! It gets better..........

it states that this aftermarket dealer fitment will have weakened the support to the roof panel. It is possible that with the CHANGE OF WEATHER CONDITIONS, DISTORTION COULD TAKE PLACE............LOL LOL LOL ok, so lets say my sunroof has been fitted perfectly, all is nice.........a change in weather may distort my roof but a big bang on the suspension sending a shock up the A-pillar wouldnt??????? is that not kind of, sh*tting on the previous spoken words???? LOL LOL LOL!!!

Anyway, the assessor has instructed the garage to remove my front wheels (good luck - cheers FRED!!!! LOL) to have a better look at my struts........FFS, he SEEN them bent on the ramps, Ive got pics of what he seen posted ^^^ AND i pointed out to him that through the spokes in the wheels, you can SEE the paint flaked off where the struts have bent / been stressed LOL!!!

ehhhhhh, DONKEY!

So, anyway, lastly, it states, once any rectification work is complete, to do a full geometry check. Erm, NOOOOO.........number 1 - make sure chassis is straight! agree??? Number 2 - replace suspension parts, number 3 - alignment!!

What makes me laugh is..........new suspension kit fitted, cost me about £300 ish, i have spare wheels for the car, WHY the HELL would they think i would loose my NCB for JUST THAT when my excess is 400 notes? ? ? LOL

I told them that i am on the verge of pulling the car away from the garage and taking it somewhere proper to get a proper report done on the car. The woman insisted she would ring the assessor tomorrow and get back to me. I am going to ring the garage to see what they feel should be done with the car, and take it from there! At the end of the day, one of our works customers is an amazingly good bodyshop! they have told me everything makes sense to them, roof dents dude to suspension bottoming out etc.....

Lets see what tomorrow brings! its f**king quality! i have the mondeo to drive about in, so i am not as stressed and rushed about the clio now......i am actually starting to enjoy all of this, and there are going to be some nice little letters flying around, now and once this is sorted! LOVIN IT

THoughts..................lol

Rob

Racing Blue 182

Arite, it pisses me off how you can declare all your mods, and still get hassle for it. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of it.

Which insurance company you insured with? hope it aint the one i work for.

If they are been FSA compliant they should have issued you an acknowledgement letter to confirm they are looking into the issue,as its over 5 days, have they done this?

If not double check they have logged a complaint and they backdated it to the first day you called them to complain about it. They need to issue you the response in writing so you can take it to the FOS if your still not happy. Ask when this will be issued?

Hope it gets sorted

[Edited by racing182 on 24 August 2005 at 6:21pm]

H22A7 Accord Type R

i aint written my letter of complaint yet buddy..........ive got more ammunition for it now! LOL!

erm..........*cough* trunkie *cough ;)

Racing Blue 182

No you dont have to write to complain, you showing any sign that your are not happy E.G shouting at the poor women on the end of the phone, should be logged as a complaint

CJ

Blue ph1 172

Recently had a bump in my 172 so went to see my mate who used to work for the vehicle inspectorate and now repairs accident damaged cars. First thing he looked for was stress in the roof abouve the front doors because he said any type of bump no matter how hard and these clios normally stress there.

So tell the assessor to shove his findings where the sun dont shine as he obviously knows nothing about the individual make of car hes assessing.

H22A7 Accord Type R

^^^ thank you very much mate! Point noted! This guy obviously has not got a clue about the clios.......if my rattly squeaky sunroof was dealer optional.........i wouldnt have one! LOL!!!

H22A7 Accord Type R

As a side issue.............has anyone got a friend who is good at his job and is an insurance assessor? I wouldnt mind having a word with one and possible sending some £££ their way for a proper assesement on my car. Cheers all, Rob.

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 24 August 2005

i aint written my letter of complaint yet buddy..........ive got more ammunition for it now! LOL!

erm..........*cough* trunkie *cough ;)
ive just got insured with them...bugger

sorry to hear about this rob,sounds like you have done everything right and they still want to screw you. Hope it gets sorted out buddy. Document everything and tell them that unless you get a reasonable outcome you will be telling anyone who will listen about this shocking service and obvious incompetence! Good luck