ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the V6 255 *that* much better than 172

Ok, more and more Im getting tempted to swap the 172 for a nice shiny new V6 255 however the price different between the two (12K?) seems sooo much considering it doesnt seem that much different.

What do you think, is the V6 that much better than a 172?

Also, Ive heard the "friends & family" discount doesnt include the V6 but Ive been quoted a good price for one, does it include the V6?

Thanks

Renault Laguna Coupe

What do you think, is the V6 that much better than a 172?

I believe it is, and if it wasnt for the fact that I have to cart the kids around, Id have one. How many V6s do you see in a week / vs the number of 172s. Do people stop and stare at a 172?

I think its a fantastic car, and Renault should be congratulated for having the bottle to market it.

Clio v6

I agree with what you say about people staring at the V6 Mike. If you dont like being the cause of people walking into lamp posts then then V6 isnt the car for you.

As to the 12k difference in price? I shouldnt worry about this too much. The minute you drive it out of the showroom you have lost 12k LOL

Lee

BMW M2C

I was lucky enough to have a quick drive of SteveV6s car, and in that short time I was convinced.

The 172 is a very capable car, but the V6 is something special. You would choose it for different reasons to the 172, which entertains but blends in. The V6 screams look at me, and people do.

From what Ive read the new one will offer the drive to match the looks.

TBH Id wait for the new Renault Megane RS to come out 225HP standard with a 300HP version to be available, I think and Id stick that engine into your 172 and itll be quicker than a V6, just wont have the looks.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 October 2003

Yeah, but its all about looks with a V6 isnt it?
I agree Mike. The V6 makes one hell of a statement. The RS Megane is just a dressed up Megane.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I think another plus of the V6 is that theres really no need to spend a lot on mods. You can buy it, leave it as it is and know that youre driving something really exclusive.

*trys to think of ways to encourage the kids to get jobs and quit school*

Hehe, I must admit sometimes I think £27,000 for a clio! What????

But then I think, Mmm, V6 :)

I guess the reason to get the V6 is its stunning looks not performance (tho its not bad!) otherwise youd go for a scooby/evo I guess.

Oh, what the fuel economy / service costs. Are they much higher than the 172?

* Got to stop watching the Top Gear V6 review !!! *

lol - Mike !!!

I think it depends on what way you are asking if it is "better" Tony. Better in what way? Looks? Performance? the new V6 is very different to look at, only better in some peoples eyes, not everyones eyes, but nearly everyone will stop and look at it (this also applies to the Mk1 of course as well as the Mk2).

It is also faster than the 172 - £12ks worth?? depends on you that one doesnt it!!!

I think you should ask the question about friends and family - you bought your 172 on discount didnt you?

but, just do it, you know you want to !!! :D what is a "good price" that you have been offered?

You are right Kathy, it is gorgeous...

For the "good price" speak to Wayne. I have yet to check its 100% as it sounds pretty good.

I wouldnt do it until my birthday - Feb - so Ive got a bit of time to save that cash I need. Hmm, need a new job which pays me a lot more ......

i would like a v6, i like the way it looks at bet it is fun to drive. however i think the body work could be finished better, the rear arches look stuck on and not smoothed onto the body. but thats a small niggle:)

seeing as i have a 1.2, i would be pleased with a 172 though!!

is it true, i heard somewhere that the mk1 v6 had a lot of handling issues, which have been put right in the mk2?

spose it is the same with all cars though! i see all the later 1.2s than mine come with a different sunroof, renault probably trying to get rid of that rattle!

Here is how they work out the friends and family discount:

Take the Basic price of the car (NOT including Registration fee and number plates)

MINUS the 17.5% VAT

MINUS the friends and family discount (15% for V6)

Work out the new 17.5% VAT and then ADD it back on

ADD the cost of registration and number plates etc.

So its not 15% of £27k, it works out slightly different!

Boyo

Mars Red Clio V6 255

hi all, my last post was a few months ago when i had just got myself a bmw mcoupe, still have it and its an amazing car, but i still want a new v6, but have not been checking on here much and just want to know if they are out yet or when they are going to be released? and aslo i think someone on here posted that they are going to be bringing out alot more colours including black, is this still the case and if so when will that be available by?

many thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by zeemax on 19 October 2003

"is servicing a v6 more expensive than a 172"

Front brake pads £169, rear pads £230.............not fitted!!!
Hmm, better not use the brakes much if I end up with one then.

As some people have already said its got to be a car to buy because of its emotional value..a heart over head decision. It looks, sounds and goes great. Realistically though you could spend that money on something better but it depends where your priorities lie. Id buy one..but only if it could be my second car.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

if i had the money.....

i would buy a 147 gta and watch that lose money instead

Mars Red Clio V6 255

anyone got the new v6 on here yet? if so any pics??

the thing is you dont get a v6 cos its a super performer, at the end of the day people get one cos its look like nothing else on the planet, everyone is going to stare at you, and you know for your £27k you are driving a 3litre v6 md engine clio that you probably wont see anyone else driving. thats the beauty of the thing its an all out bonkers concept that they turned into reality and a rarer than most cars costing £100k

Clio v6

I think this is a piece of interesting text from Renault press.

The personalised Clio V6 255 models will be made at the same Alpine factory in Dieppe with pack 4 at around £4,000 expected to be the most popular.

Clio Renaultsport V6 customers

Clio Renaultsport V6 customers have one thing in common – a passion for unique cars, after all there is only one mid-engine production hatch in the world. Over 60% of customers were buying their Clio V6 as a second, third or even forth car. As such many customers were adding the Clio to a collection that included everything from a Ferrari 360 Modena and Aston Martin DB7 to Range Rovers and Porsche 911. However a significant number were trading up from a Clio Renaultsport 172 or even Clio Williams and trading in cars like the Subaru Impreza and Audi TT.

http://www.press.renault.co.uk/releases/arc_2003/230403ren.htmhttp://www.press.renault.co.uk/releases/arc_2003/230403ren.htm

(I think I might take the Modena out for a spin this weekend) LOL

"Sirius Yellow, Callisto Brown and Lune Grey are all special-effect colours, with the colour changing depending on the angle at which the light falls on the surface. Special alloy wheels complete the range of choices."

Hmm, hope this stuff is in the brochure Ive requested...

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 20 October 2003

Is it available with sat nav and speed limiter yet?

Not sure, if your serious about one of these, have a word with Jeremy Townsend. Hes got all the upto date info.

Tony - it comes with the speed limiter as standard, and black is not an option yet!

the other option is the full leather interior, at a very hefty price as well.