ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jenic's Porsche Cayman

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
As mentioned in the Porsche thread, I collected a Manual 981 Cayman from Ashgood this week. I haven't done a car thread for years, since my mini in 2013 I think, so thought I'd stick one up now.

I've been looking at Porsches on and off for a long time, but only seriously towards the end of 2020. I started off looking at 996s and 997s back in November, with the idea of it being a second car, then over Christmas I started considering selling my M135i and just having a 981. I flipped between these different ideas, even considering a 987 as a a second car briefly, before spotting this for sale at Ashgood and deciding I may as well just go for it.

IMG_8329.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg

It's the 2.7, which I never would have considered before Mark got his non S and the topic came up in the Porsche thread. Obviously I'd get an S if money was no object, but that doesn't mean I'm at all disappointed with this so far.

Spec wise, it's missing the 3 main driving toys (SC/PSE/PASM), the only one I was bothered about was PASM but you can't have everything! It does have a number of the nice to have comfort toys though, so BT/Nav/Heated Seats/Folding Mirrors/Cruise/Leather/Front & Rear Park Assist/TPM/MF Wheel, all of which should be standard but are optional. Plus the 20" wheels which are kinda needed, I only really like them on these or the Carrera S wheels. Over £9k in options on the original order form which is pretty mental.

I still maintain the M135i was a fantastic car, I loved owning it, I found it fun to drive, took it around the Alps and Route Napoleon last year and had a blast. I can't compare the two much so far because all I've done is drive it back from London and done about 30 miles today running some errands but the ground is frozen! It is definitely slower, but it feels way faster than you are going, quite the opposite of the BMW which was in licence losing speeds at what felt like normal road speeds.

On the drive home it was a very nice motorway cruiser, quiet for what it is (although road noise increases quite a bit off motorway) and super comfortable and easy to drive. It achieved 35mpg too, incredible for what it is.

My main complaint on the BMW was always the epas, this also has epas but definitely seems to at least imitate feel, even if it has none, which the BMW never could. So coming from the BMW it's a huge step up. The only thing that's annoying me so far is the gear shift arrow to help you drive economically, I'm hoping I can turn that off like I could in my e91.

I'm now left considering a Porsche warranty, which would cost £1270 for 2 years plus a 111 point check, I did get it put through a 111 point check before I collected it just for my own peace of mind (which resulted in me getting new discs and pads on the front so well worth it) and it passed that so I would hope it passes again once I have owned it for 3 months and become eligible for warranty. The guys at Ashgood said I'd be better off banking that money though as anything it will need will probably be minor or considered wear and tear.

So that's about it for now I think, can't wait for the weather to warm up a tad so I can use it properly! It's not the best weather for first time Porsche ownership by me at the moment 😂

IMG_8361.jpg

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 6
I’m really interested to hear more about the experience. I’m in a similar boat and watching loads of 981’s. I’d really want the manual as well but there are so few coming up for sale I’m considering the PDK. It gets good reviews to be fair.
The options make buying used a minefield!!
Cant wait to hear more!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
I’m really interested to hear more about the experience. I’m in a similar boat and watching loads of 981’s. I’d really want the manual as well but there are so few coming up for sale I’m considering the PDK. It gets good reviews to be fair.
The options make buying used a minefield!!
Cant wait to hear more!

The options are a minefield, I've got an original brochure here to fully understand what is available! I have to drive to Norwich tomorrow so it should be a good test rather than just a motorway cruise 😁

Very cool. I would get the slits by the fog lights wrapped black.

I'm thinking about getting it polished and ceramic coated by a trusted bodyshop/detailer. I've already spoke to him about respraying the bumper and putting those grills back to black.

I just want to settle in to the car first though, the next big thing is to decide on the warranty.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  F56 Cooper S and 172
Good purchase, I personally love the non S over the S/GTS. Not the fastest car in the world but you can ring it’s neck and they sound great too.
Also the only Porsche id buy without a warranty, they’re bulletproof.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Love that!
This Generation Cayman/Boxster are beautiful.
Good work you northern chimp. X

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent choice!

What I found when searching is that, on the base models in particular but also on the S models, finding something with a good list of options is a rarity.

I put that down to people not wanting to pay top money for a well specced non-S, when that puts them just about into basic S money. Then a well specced S, put's them within reach of the arse engined other one, umm, a 911 I think it is ;)

Having mine has calmed my driving right down...I no longer feel I have to go flat out everywhere like I did in the 140...as in the 140 the engine was the only thing that really felt special. On the Cayman, they just kind of feel quite special all the time and at any speed. The sound even on partial throttle above 4k is wúnderbar.

I did an 80 mile round trip route today, country roads there, motorways/DC back, not flat out but smoothly making progress, and managed 30mpg. I've also emptied a tank at 21mpg.

I can't wait for things to open up, temps to rise, and a chance to get out there and really bash it's head in.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
That's lovely, I'm a big fan of the previous generation Caymans, however these look a lot more modern. How are they inside?

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
I should have tried harder at school.
I’m sure it was probably cheaper than your Yaris 😂

Gorgeous car Mike. It’s exactly what I’m after when I decide to take the plunge.

Next time your in Halifax you’ll have to pop by so I can have a mooch @jenic

Also, please keep this thread up to date with service costs/repair costs. Will be useful 👍

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Proper awesome. Exactly what I want, bar I’d at least want the exhaust!
It’s actually quite an easy retrofit, but expensive.

Excellent choice!

What I found when searching is that, on the base models in particular but also on the S models, finding something with a good list of options is a rarity.

I put that down to people not wanting to pay top money for a well specced non-S, when that puts them just about into basic S money. Then a well specced S, put's them within reach of the arse engined other one, umm, a 911 I think it is ;)

Having mine has calmed my driving right down...I no longer feel I have to go flat out everywhere like I did in the 140...as in the 140 the engine was the only thing that really felt special. On the Cayman, they just kind of feel quite special all the time and at any speed. The sound even on partial throttle above 4k is wúnderbar.

I did an 80 mile round trip route today, country roads there, motorways/DC back, not flat out but smoothly making progress, and managed 30mpg. I've also emptied a tank at 21mpg.

I can't wait for things to open up, temps to rise, and a chance to get out there and really bash it's head in.
I agree on the spec thing, I think if you want fully loaded then the gts is probably the way most people would go new as it does come with quite a lot iirc.

The sound at high rpm is truly amazing, I loved hooning it home in a low gear today. Also not missing the auto at all, even though it was a very good box.

I think as soon as stuff opens more I’m going to go for a weekend in the lakes, or maybe a couple of weekdays, should be a lot of fun!

That's lovely, I'm a big fan of the previous generation Caymans, however these look a lot more modern. How are they inside?

Just off google but they are really nice places to be, a massive step up interior wise from 987/917 models

981-cayman-interior-3.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They really came of age inside with the 981.

When my 987 was made the first iPhone had only been out 3 months and it very much feels like that inside.

I've got a Bluetooth FM transmitter for Spotify 🤣

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Gorgeous car Mike. It’s exactly what I’m after when I decide to take the plunge.

Also, please keep this thread up to date with service costs/repair costs. Will be useful 👍

My Yaris has only cost me £500 so far.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
As I said yesterday, today I had to drive to Norwich to collect a Volvo for my uncle's business (we are in a bubble before anyone worries). We set off in the car at 7am, hit just near Beverley and the snow drifts on the road were pretty crazy. Lots of back end action, then a lorry in front got stuck and a Zafira lost control and ended up smashing into the snow at the side of the road.

We decided at this point to turn around and grab his X3, wasn't worth the risk in an unfamiliar car when we were heading towards worse weather.

Result is I now also have a Volvo for the next couple of weeks to run along side the Porsche, a D5 too, it's rapid! Just what I needed as I have loads of tip runs to do 😂

Yeh, will pop over next time I'm over that way!

I'm considering keeping tabs on costs, well all except tax/insurance and petrol.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's not too bad.

Wise decision on the trip, I've had a few twitches over the last couple of days I wasn't expecting. Nothing too alarming.

I put it down to the Bridgestones not liking zero degrees C... And me driving too fast for the conditions of course 🤣

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Great choice mate. Beautiful shape and properly step up inside. I would have that over a lower end 997 or 996!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As per my reply in the Porsche thread, I think it's great! I may be a touch biased but I do think that the Cayman is a beautifully proportioned car. It also drives beautifully too, in pretty much any spec. I often get the pi$$ taken for choosing the Cayman over the more 'prestigious' 911 but it would have to be something incredibly special to get me out the GT4 (and most likely way out of my budget).

Any recommendations for a good UK based Porsche forum?

I haven't really found anything outstanding to be honest mate. As per @Davyy's suggestions really. I'm also a member of the following two Facebook groups, but they aren't anything particularly special.

Shout up if you find anything worthwhile! :)

Regarding the handling... I appreciate you haven't had it long (and the conditions aren't exactly ideal at the moment) but it can be a bit twitchy in cold and standing water (obviously significantly affected by the tyres you are running too). Not dangerously so though (unless provoking it and driving like a loon). The chassis doesn't half provide a lot of feedback through your backside and [what is actually a really impressive electronically assisted] steering setup. It generally gives plenty of warning when it's about to start sliding and will also tend towards mild understeer first as well. Once sliding it can be a bit 'grabby' however! I'm certainly no drifter (and certainly wouldn't class myself as a particularly gifted driver!) but it's mid-engined layout and stupid levels of grip mean it's difficult to hang the back end out for metre after metre like you would, perhaps, in a 911 or longer-wheelbase M-car for example. You also need to be prepared to catch it as the grip comes back to you as it can be quite sudden no matter how smooth you are on the loud pedal. Mind you, that was on dry roads with warmed-up Michelin Cup 2s so mileage may vary (no pun intended). To be honest it's just an absolute hoot and fun to drive regardless and I just find each drive in it is an occasion, be it a trip to Sainsburys or a hoon down my favourite ribbons of tarmac. (y)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
First thing I've bought for the Porsche is a boring thing, genuine oil top up kit 😂 It's the little things, I always like to keep a kit in the car (never even opened the BMW one).

IMG_8390.jpg

One other issue, which I didn't notice in the 100+ pics I was sent from Ashgood, is the drivers side side repeater is fogged up. Looked on eBay and used lens' go for £25-50 + post. Rang Porsche in Leeds and ordered a new one for under £25 inc vat and delivery, can't argue with that!

The new brakes were also squeaking quite badly around town at the weekend, they've never really been used as the trip home was all motorway on cruise. So tonight I've been on a little hoon to York and back to bed them in. Did lots of 60-5mph braking cycles with cooling in between and they seem far better now, more bite and no squeak, we'll see how it goes though. On the way home the engine was singing, 80 in second is immense, that noise will never get boring 😁

icek

ClioSport Club Member
  4GTS/7.5R/182
I've always been told that if you take a Porsche out for a drive, after gently getting the oil up to temperature, you should give it death and go through at least a couple of hard brake cycles.

If it's not smelling of pork when you park it, you've not done it properly.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I looked back at some M140i videos, and the manual is geared to do over 70 in 2nd gear as well. No one says they're super long geared! It did have twice the torque of my Cayman though :ROFLMAO:

Something I really like about my Cayman is playing tunes with the engine, it's like they've tuned the intake noise so at certain revs it makes particular harmonies, from a lowly 2k right to over 7k. There's a different character to the sound, a different edge to it, at each 1k right the way through.

I'll be sticking a mic in the airbox soon to see what it really sounds like when wrung right out.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
The dream is:

1st - 40
2nd - 60
3rd - 90
4th - 120
5th - 140
6th - 170 over drive

If you tracked a Cayman at Bylton you'd only use second!