ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jenic's Porsche Cayman

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
The dream is:

1st - 40
2nd - 60
3rd - 90
4th - 120
5th - 140
6th - 170 over drive

If you tracked a Cayman at Bylton you'd only use second!
You'd just stay in 2nd and 3rd yeh, tbh on the roads around here I'm just in 2nd and 3rd while playing.

Found the calculated top speeds on Planet 9. I must have been almost on the limiter when I got an indicated 80.

1st.......41MPH.............ratio..3.67
2nd......74MPH.............ratio..2.05
3rd......103MPH............ratio..1.46
4th......134MPH............ratio..1.13
5th......156MPH............ratio..0.97
6th......180MPH............ratio..0.84

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You'd just stay in 2nd and 3rd yeh, tbh on the roads around here I'm just in 2nd and 3rd while playing.

Found the calculated top speeds on Planet 9. I must have been almost on the limiter when I got an indicated 80.

1st.......41MPH.............ratio..3.67
2nd......74MPH.............ratio..2.05
3rd......103MPH............ratio..1.46
4th......134MPH............ratio..1.13
5th......156MPH............ratio..0.97
6th......180MPH............ratio..0.84
Those rations aren’t bad for a 7k Rev limit.

Must have an odd ratio diff.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This gen 1 base 2.7 got into 4th gear once...although it looked like he still had revs to spare.

That’s even odder. Long stack 1st and 2nd then short stacked from there on?!

What’s the diff ratio?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That’s even odder. Long stack 1st and 2nd then short stacked from there on?!

What’s the diff ratio?

For a 987, unsurprisingly I have a spreadsheet for that...

Screenshot_20210221-230820.png

Reactions: MLB

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Wow. Don’t understand any of this. I’m just happy that my auto box changes gear for me 👍
If you get a 981 I presume it'll be as a 3rd car? In that case would you still PDK?

I wanted manual from the start, even though I loved my ZF auto, I did nearly buy a PDK 981 last month but so glad I got the manual now.

I'm dailying the lolvo at the moment and I really miss the auto around town, that goes in a week though and then this is my only car while I decide if I need a daily, and what that should be.

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
If you get a 981 I presume it'll be as a 3rd car? In that case would you still PDK?

I wanted manual from the start, even though I loved my ZF auto, I did nearly buy a PDK 981 last month but so glad I got the manual now.

I'm dailying the lolvo at the moment and I really miss the auto around town, that goes in a week though and then this is my only car while I decide if I need a daily, and what that should be.
Yeah it would be a 3rd car. The Mini is my toy, the Skoda the family bus and the 981 would be the garage queen 😂

But it’s a good question. I love auto but given the 981 would probably get less than 2 thousand miles per year, manual is probably a good call.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
The side repeater came today from Porsche in Leeds, incredible how cheap it was but I guess most people buy the 718 LED ones, maybe Porsche have a mass of these in stock they need offloading 😂

IMG_8413.jpg

The old one, full of condensation and manky:

IMG_8414.jpg

And replaced, massive improvement:

IMG_8417.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Had the Porsche just over 5 weeks now, got to say I am really loving it! It's just an incredible driving machine, I can drive it like a massive knob and it'll just let me, brake mid corner because you've entered way too fast and it's not an issue, it just lets you. It makes me, an average driver, look way better than I actually am!

I am also loving stepping back in to a manual, I loved auto in the BMW but this gearbox feels so precise, and heel toeing is easy as pie, it's just so well set up for a driver.

It was looking a bit dirty so I gave it it's second wash today, the first was 3 weeks ago.

It's been a while since I ever did any detailing, I think the M135i got washed twice during my ownership. Decided to get some new bits, bilt hamber auto wash and auto foam, some new buckets and mitt for now, oh and some interior cleaner, I need Z9 and Z10 for the leather too at some point. I already have a lot of my old gear from way back when, for when I eventually do a full detail (tar x/iron x/glaze etc) but I was all out of these basics.

IMG_8478.jpg

I also found out yesterday my 12 year old K2 had packed up, so treated myself to a K4 today.

IMG_8522.jpg

Anyway, just a quick wash foam and wash today, incredible how strong the auto wash is, I did 2 teaspoons to my big bucket.

Before:

IMG_8450.jpg

During:

IMG_8521.jpg

After:

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
100% agree with this, they are just supremely capable, balanced, and so neutral.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning driving like an absolute c*** on some wonderful empty country roads, and driving to the road conditions and visibility, there's nothing it can't handle with ease. Nothing.

Taking it on track in a few weeks is going to be interesting, the limits are high!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
I’ve done just over 4K miles since I picked this up 6 months ago now, absolutely love it every time I drive it. It’s still my main car even though I also have the Civic, I’ll always take the Porsche unless I need the boot space which is rare.

I knew it would need tyres this year, and while all were still legal, I decided with the MOT next week to get them before that.

The old Pirelli tyres were 5 years old, and looking through the paperwork they’ve done over 20k which is pretty impressive, the rears were worn to 2mm and fronts to just under 3mm. They had also started cracking a little on the inside of the blocks on the front.

Decided to go for Goodyear F1 N0 tyres, I don’t need to stick to N rated but it makes sense should I sell the car. I’ve only done a trip to my parent’s house on the motorway so far but the ride is far superior, a trait I expected as it’s well known the Goodyears are far more compliant than the Pirellis. I am however convinced I can fee a little more squidge in corners just from taking a few roundabouts, will find out when I take it home this evening on the country roads, although I need to sort the pressures too.

So far though I’m very happy with the new tyres, hopefully it gets through the MOT on Monday.

Also, because it’s not an update without a picture, here is a white Porsche in its natural habitat of Bradford. I met a friend for coffee, after coffee I still had wheels, result!

d9af5ccc8a318e3070c719ec42b83896.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
I don’t like white, I don’t like those wheels, but I actually like the car? I’m confused, but I think it looks great!

I was sort of the same, I've never really been into white cars until I started 981 shopping and it was one of the few colours on my shortlist, the others being grey and silver.

These wheels were my second choice, like everyone I really wanted the Carrera S wheels, but you can't be that picky on the used car market, this had everything else I wanted (except DAB, something I do miss a lot).

I got really close to buying a silver one until I found out the spec listed was wrong and it was missing heated seats, which is essential up north 😂

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I always liked those wheels from a looks pov. I really dislike pirellis for some reason always feel any comparable tyre shows them up on a sports car.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
I always liked those wheels from a looks pov. I really dislike pirellis for some reason always feel any comparable tyre shows them up on a sports car.
Yep the pirellis weren't nice at all. Very happy with the new tyres though.

Took the car to Sam Lander Porsche today for it's MOT, passed with no advisories. A first MOT under your own ownership is always a bit of a worry. Sam drove me to town in the car before the MOT just to give it a bit of a test drive and he was really happy with it, he couldn't find any work that needs doing on it which I'm really happy about!