ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo 172 cup

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Van looks good and glad to see you getting some miles on it.
That thing in the last photo looks like a used condom though!

Cheers mate. It seems to be good to go for mapping, cant wait to hear it make some decent boost, this slow driving is doing my nut haha.

I have no idea what that thing actually is, its some modern art shite next to M/boro riverside stadium. Another waste of tax payers money:sneaky:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates.

New o/s shaft in the 250 did not fix the wide open throttle vibration so had to do more diagnostics.

To recall the whole saga, car was perfect on stock suspension, low mileage 34k when lowered on bc's due to stock shocker failing. 2x new oem driveshafts fitted, spacer fitted to n/s and not fixed.

Checked a multitude of things, removed lower engine stabiliser to check condition, looked ok, checked the rest of the engine mounts all ok, buzzed the hub nuts off to check the shafts were not binding when the car was sat, both fine even with passenger side spacer.

Raised the rideheight 15mm all round and the issue is fixed, its smooth as silk on full throttle up to any speed. Its fair to say the driveshaft angle was past its happy spot causing the issue.

Height difference is not really noticeable either.

20200515_194351.jpg

Handling is far better too on the plus side, it always felt a bit skitty on the back, the mk3 is lively on the rear but it did not feel right. I reckon the rear was riding the bumpstops previously when under compression.

Deep down i knew it was too low to make the most of the meganes good handling, should have raised it ages ago.

Took it for an extended test drive around my favourite moor roads, its the first time its felt "right" since fitting the bc's and i forgot how epic the chassis is, turn in, plant the throttle and hang on, never lift.

The end of the whole saga😆 can drive the car and enjoy the chassis. The power modifications can now start.

Have started by fitting a pipercross panel filter to the airbox which i bought off @Cribert ages ago. It seems to have woke it up a bit, was quite suprised as it felt quite fit yesterday.

Thanks for reading!!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
With the vibration issues i had totally fallen out of love with this, but now its right i love it again. Proper hot hatch, grip is so good on the ps4s. Might offer the mrs a swap for the gtt again:LOL:

Yeah that's it. I had a few warranty issues with mine when I first got it, which put me off, but once that was sorted and I'd done a couple of minor mods, I loved it. Really want another.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Updates.

New o/s shaft in the 250 did not fix the wide open throttle vibration so had to do more diagnostics.

To recall the whole saga, car was perfect on stock suspension, low mileage 34k when lowered on bc's due to stock shocker failing. 2x new oem driveshafts fitted, spacer fitted to n/s and not fixed.

Checked a multitude of things, removed lower engine stabiliser to check condition, looked ok, checked the rest of the engine mounts all ok, buzzed the hub nuts off to check the shafts were not binding when the car was sat, both fine even with passenger side spacer.

Raised the rideheight 15mm all round and the issue is fixed, its smooth as silk on full throttle up to any speed. Its fair to say the driveshaft angle was past its happy spot causing the issue.

Height difference is not really noticeable either.

View attachment 1474189

Handling is far better too on the plus side, it always felt a bit skitty on the back, the mk3 is lively on the rear but it did not feel right. I reckon the rear was riding the bumpstops previously when under compression.

Deep down i knew it was too low to make the most of the meganes good handling, should have raised it ages ago.

Took it for an extended test drive around my favourite moor roads, its the first time its felt "right" since fitting the bc's and i forgot how epic the chassis is, turn in, plant the throttle and hang on, never lift.

The end of the whole saga😆 can drive the car and enjoy the chassis. The power modifications can now start.

Have started by fitting a pipercross panel filter to the airbox which i bought off @Cribert ages ago. It seems to have woke it up a bit, was quite suprised as it felt quite fit yesterday.

Thanks for reading!!
Jesus how long ago was that😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Love your cars and your work, always very impressive. Highly jealous of your fleet and skills.

Cheers mate, Its been my passion fixing these Renaults for years and the lockdown has given me tons of time to get the bits done.

The various internet forums i have been members of over the years have given me so much knowledge to fix various bits, would have struggled without the good advice. This forum was invaluable for when i had lots of issues with my Kangoo/clio dci’s:)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Checked the boost circuit for leaks this morning. Dug out my home made caps for the circuit and used a small compressor for an airbrush.

I would normally bung the airfilter and fill from the airfilter hose with a good compressor. However this compressor does not have much power so initially split it into smaller sections that the compressor could cope with.

Disconnected the hot side pipework from turbo to intercooler first which was OK held 18lbs of pressure.
20200519_115008.jpg
20200519_115002.jpg

Done the intercooler next on its own, held 18lbs pressure again without any issues.
20200519_121036.jpg

Done the cold side pipework next, disconnected the pipework at the air temp sensor and bunged, and filled post intercooler.

This side had quite a leak at one of the hose joints and would not fill and hold any pressure initially. Easy fix, just needed the hose clip and hose adjusting/tightening furthur at a joint and held 18lbs.

With this sorted i reconnected the intercooler on the cold side, and filled from the hot side, which was ok and held 18lbs pressure.
20200519_122258.jpg

Reconnected the hot side pipework and filled from the turbo end of the hot side pipework. Held 18lbs ok.

Apart from inlet and turbo, thats almost the whole boost circuit holding good pressure.
20200519_123442.jpg

Well worth doing for an hours work, and to save any hassle on the rolling road when mapping, no leaks = more hp and faster spool so all good.

Thanks for reading !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Done a couple of small jobs.

Removed fuel pressure gauge from the reg, and blanked the hole now the fuel pressure is set, as they are not supposed to be permanent. The original gauge that was fitted started leaking, not taking any risks. Cant see it from the drivers seat either so pretty pointless apart from a static test.
20200531_160306.jpg

Custom lux suede gear gaitor fitted.
20200602_185031.jpg

Big updates coming soon too watch this space;)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
So the day came and it was time to get the Extra mapped.

Filled the tank with tesco's finest 99 momentum and set off on the journey to Efiparts. Had a steady drive on the way down as the base map was ok but not great, sat at around 50-60mph. The weather was exceptionally hot around 25 degrees, but did not cause no cooling issues and the engine was quite happily cruised along at 75deg.

Stopped off at Warrington as needed to go and brim the tank with tesco 99. Hit mid day traffic and ended up crawling along for a while, rad fan singing away keeping the temp around 80degrees and paddle clutch was awful in traffic.

Filled up and set off on the short journey, got there early and a megane was just finishing off on the dyno so took a seat outside in the sun.
20200530_143329.jpg

Time comes and its strapped onto the dyno. Fan looking rather large compared to the van!
IMG-20200623-WA0002.jpg

Chris done some initial checks, first was to check the base ignition timing was set correctly with a strobe light. It needed adjusting as i had set it slightly out and was 4deg retarded.

He then started doing some low speed mapping on part throttle. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the fuel system and ignition would be ok as largely untested under load. I had only seen around 4k rpm on the road and no real load on the engine.

I explained the mac valve was on a switch so with the switch off it would run gate pressure, and high boost with switch on.

After a few runs we were up to a respectable 171hp/167ftlb @13psi gate pressure. Listening to the engine sing round to 7500rpm for the first time was awesome. The setup was working well and responding well to boost.
20200623_182731.jpg
20200623_182742.jpg

So the next question off Chris was "How far do you want to push it" and my answer as usual was "all the boost";) push the engine a bit and see what its capable of, within reason as its pretty much stock bottom end and 200mm ap paddle clutch.

Started ramping some boost in and the power came up fast, seen 200hp, 220hp, 230hp without flogging it too much. I was happy at this point as it had met what i had wanted hp wise.

Started really leaning on it and boost up to 29psi to see what it was capable of on some runs, with the power still coming up. Great buzz hearing the engine picking up power and sounding stronger each run.

Dyno cell temps of 27 degrees at this point which was not helping things!
IMG-20200622-WA0000.jpg

So after exploring the limits and pushing the engine, the power came up a bit more than i was expecting.

The end result is 249hp/227ftlb.
20200622_171328.jpg

20200622_171507.jpg

The boost had to held back a little under 6krpm as close to knock, then ramped up to 27psi over 6k. Torque is limited to keep the stock rods and drivetrain happy.

First test drive, took it down the road on wastegate pressure of 13psi and was quite suprised when it was scrabbling for traction in 2nd gear, felt quite fit. I then tried high boost, its pretty lairy as expected, feels quick and makes all the right noises. Its a drag strip tune, so good for short blasts on high boost but will need knocking back a few pegs for hard track use, which is what i expected and ill be happy with 200-220hp for track use at lower boost.

To put it into perspective, its as quick as my mrs meg 250 cup on wastegate pressure, and long gone on high boost.

Worked out its around 270hp per ton on high boost, so no slouch.

Overall it drives great, starts up hot and cold like an oem car, cruises along at 14afr nicely at 70mph. Very happy with the whole setup, engine is a lot more responsive low down with raised compression, turbo spools up faster and on boost around 1k rpm faster than the previous setup. Done 30+ runs up to 7500rpm on the dyno no issues, no misfiring, did not need to lay a spanner on it. Mapped and drove home:)

Chris done a great job mapping it so big thanks for showing the full potential of the setup, went above and beyond to get the best out of it. He is the best in the business in my opinion, cant recommend him enough.

The plan is to drive it a bit this summer, then invest in some stronger bottom end components and get this Gtx 2860r bolted on and see what happens;)

Thanks for reading!!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So the day came and it was time to get the Extra mapped.

Filled the tank with tesco's finest 99 momentum and set off on the journey to Efiparts. Had a steady drive on the way down as the base map was ok but not great, sat at around 50-60mph. The weather was exceptionally hot around 25 degrees, but did not cause no cooling issues and the engine was quite happily cruised along at 75deg.

Stopped off at Warrington as needed to go and brim the tank with tesco 99. Hit mid day traffic and ended up crawling along for a while, rad fan singing away keeping the temp around 80degrees and paddle clutch was awful in traffic.

Filled up and set off on the short journey, got there early and a megane was just finishing off on the dyno so took a seat outside in the sun.View attachment 1482305
Time comes and its strapped onto the dyno. Fan looking rather large compared to the van!View attachment 1482306
Chris done some initial checks, first was to check the base ignition timing was set correctly with a strobe light. It needed adjusting as i had set it slightly out and was 4deg retarded.

He then started doing some low speed mapping on part throttle. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the fuel system and ignition would be ok as largely untested under load. I had only seen around 4k rpm on the road and no real load on the engine.

I explained the mac valve was on a switch so with the switch off it would run gate pressure, and high boost with switch on.

After a few runs we were up to a respectable 171hp/167ftlb @13psi gate pressure. Listening to the engine sing round to 7500rpm for the first time was awesome. The setup was working well and responding well to boost.View attachment 1482307View attachment 1482308
So the next question off Chris was "How far do you want to push it" and my answer as usual was "all the boost";) push the engine a bit and see what its capable of, within reason as its pretty much stock bottom end and 200mm ap paddle clutch.

Started ramping some boost in and the power came up fast, seen 200hp, 220hp, 230hp without flogging it too much. I was happy at this point as it had met what i had wanted hp wise.

Started really leaning on it and boost up to 29psi to see what it was capable of on some runs, with the power still coming up. Great buzz hearing the engine picking up power and sounding stronger each run.

Dyno cell temps of 27 degrees at this point which was not helping things!View attachment 1482309

So after exploring the limits and pushing the engine, the power came up a bit more than i was expecting.

The end result is 249hp/227ftlb.View attachment 1482311
View attachment 1482310

The boost had to held back a little under 6krpm as close to knock, then ramped up to 27psi over 6k. Torque is limited to keep the stock rods and drivetrain happy.

First test drive, took it down the road on wastegate pressure of 13psi and was quite suprised when it was scrabbling for traction in 2nd gear, felt quite fit. I then tried high boost, its pretty lairy as expected, feels quick and makes all the right noises. Its a drag strip tune, so good for short blasts on high boost but will need knocking back a few pegs for hard track use, which is what i expected and ill be happy with 200-220hp for track use at lower boost.

To put it into perspective, its as quick as my mrs meg 250 cup on wastegate pressure, and long gone on high boost.

Worked out its around 270hp per ton on high boost, so no slouch.

Overall it drives great, starts up hot and cold like an oem car, cruises along at 14afr nicely at 70mph. Very happy with the whole setup, engine is a lot more responsive low down with raised compression, turbo spools up faster and on boost around 1k rpm faster than the previous setup. Done 30+ runs up to 7500rpm on the dyno no issues, no misfiring, did not need to lay a spanner on it. Mapped and drove home:)

Chris done a great job mapping it so big thanks for showing the full potential of the setup, went above and beyond to get the best out of it. He is the best in the business in my opinion, cant recommend him enough.

The plan is to drive it a bit this summer, then invest in some stronger bottom end components and get this Gtx 2860r bolted on and see what happens;)

Thanks for reading!!

This is insane, and a brilliant write-up!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cheers all, its turned out far better than expected, such a buzz being able to drive it hard again.

As for reliability, its hard to say how long the stock pistons and rods will last at this power. I better get some forged items in stock:)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
250 cup and the battery saga.

Had an oldish Bosch battery on it which went flat over winter, had been hanging on for ages without regular use.

Feeling generous and like a reliable car so stuck a new Yuasa batt on from Halfords with trade discount so was quite cheap. Stuck it on and it started up yet slow ish which did not seem good. Anyway was planning on taking it out for a run so went to start it a few days later and flat as a fart.

Charged it up with my ctek charger on restore, seemed fine so stuck it back on and flat within a week and struggling to start on weekends when used. At this point i started doing some basic checks for parasitic draw with my multimeter. Basically found nothing out of the ordinary, so planned on taking it back on warranty as assuming knackered cell on batt then lockdown hit so left it.

Lockdown eases so return it for a new one.

Day 1

Lad on the counter tests battery and says its flat (no s**t sherlock) i explain the above then he says he will need to charge and check as per Yuasa instructions.

Charges up and says its saying ok on tester (no s**t fully charged) told him not happy and a cell is knacked. Its not showing 620cca only around 570cca at this point. As im arguing the toss he says he will leave it off charge and test again and he cant replace as not a manager bla bla.

Day 2 he tests it, its dropped down to 12v and about 420cca with no load and agrees its knacked. I cant make it down but will replace with new. Hes not in the next day so will leave a note for the manager.

Day 3 i go to collect new batt. Snotty manager says i dont know why he said you can have a new batt bla bla. I start losing my s**t at this point and tell him what i think of his s**t battery and refund or battery.

Walk out with new battery. Moral of the story is never buy a battery from Halfords ever.

Fit new battery and the meg fires up great. No sign of going flat at all, so was right all the long.

Cleaned up and looking good as usual.
20200709_175100.jpg
20200709_175025.jpg
20200709_175038.jpg

Even had a shot in the garage whilst we got some more block paving done.
20200630_153512.jpg

Drive after another few sqm of block. Bricklayers are having bets on us getting them back to get the rest done :LOL:
20200630_160611.jpg

Also give the 250 a power run at Efiparts to see what its like before any mods. Made 254hp stock, its only on 37k and not had much abuse, Chris said its healthy enough and what he would expect power wise.
20200530_160605.jpg
20200721_223547.jpg

Next update will be Extra van oil leak saga. Thanks for reading!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Renault Extra oil leak saga.

After mapping i noticed a leak on the crankshaft side of the sump. Jacked it up and could see oil running from crank area. So stuck it in the garage and left it for a few weeks.

Had a weeks leave from work booked in so proceeded to drop subframe and take gearbox off, leaving engine in situ to save disturbing too much.

Familiar view in the garage, Extra van in bits

20200714_165545.jpg

Engine hoist and jack on the job to hold it in place
20200715_131516.jpg

Whipped flywheel off and noticed the crank seal is pretty much dry. As its impossible to accurately trace the leak without removing everything to see it was a chance i had to take.

Tilted the engine and could see the oil seeping out of the half moon sump seal on the crank side of engine. F**k, did not have the parts to fix it at that point and not in the ideal position to be pulling the sump off with the engine on the hoist, decided to stick it back together. I used a combination of black and orange timing seals when building the engine and the orange one is bone dry on timing side.

So with this set back, i levelled the engine to stop oil seeping, brake cleanered the oil up and resealed it. Whilst i was there i fitted a new o.e renault crank seal as it looked like it had a very slight weep.

Found a genuine renault crank seal driver MOT259 on ebay usa so used that to fit the crank seal.
20200623_180044.jpg
20200623_180052.jpg

Turned out to be an epic bit of kit, i hate fitting crank seals as easy to knock them in off square or kink. The tool slides over the end of the crank nose, just lubed it up, knocked it home with the dead blow hammer, super easy.
20200715_124750.jpg

Note the grey tgreebond sealant applied in a band aid fashion.
20200715_131510.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Whilst apart i noticed the rear engine mount had split around the welds. Its done 800 miles running in mileage and mapping, hardly used.

Mount is a vibratechnics one. Proper flimsy piece of s**t really, only welded on one side, not cheap and not fit for purpose
20200715_114403.jpg
20200715_114355.jpg

I was highly annoyed over this and feel vibratechnics should have replaced this, however no time to mess about as i needed it back together sharpish.

Popped down my local fabricators and he beefed it up with some 5mm plate and fully welded. He agreed with me, the mount is poorly made.
20200715_164705.jpg
20200715_164710.jpg

Painted up. Glad i discovered it now before it broke and the exhaust falls onto the heater hoses or a shaft snaps.
20200716_113730.jpg

With that fixed, stuck it all back together.
20200718_153416.jpg

Initially the oil leak was fixed, give it a bit of boost and the leak has reappeared, but not as bad as last time. Its passable for now and can wait until winter, will pull engine out and drop in some steel rods, forged pistons and ductile liners, reseal the sump on the engine stand whilst apart.

Took it for a test drive as not really used it since mapping. Hooks up great with the quaife lsd, its been transformed from a wheelspinning/understeer oldskool turbo setup to point and turn and accelerate.

The engine revs well, really strong up top. Ive been avoiding the rev limiter but accidently clipped the hard cut in 2nd 7600rpm. Shotgun bang lol! Best avoid it as i dont fancy dropping a valve.

Peak recall on the gauges.
20200718_152848.jpg

20200716_214544.jpg

Give it a clean up to remove the bugs and oily hand prints.
20200725_113213.jpg

As its not been anywhere took it for a ride down to Santa pod for Retro Show lite last Sunday. Its just reopened for limited spectators if you pre book. Was fairly quiet but good for a ride out, weather held out ok.

440 mile round trip, 044 fuel pump whine and pms shifter rattling but apart from that no issues, and reasonable mpg at cruising speeds.

Pic of it with Tims ph1 Extra van which also has gtt engine and running gear. Good to get out again before summer has gone.

Thanks for reading!
20200726_151952.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Can't say I'm surprised by the mount. They did one for the Escort years ago and it just used to disintegrate, was nowhere near up to the job. The Clio ones seem ok, but I would be cautious with others.

Van looks great otherwise 👍

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Can't say I'm surprised by the mount. They did one for the Escort years ago and it just used to disintegrate, was nowhere near up to the job. The Clio ones seem ok, but I would be cautious with others.

Van looks great otherwise 👍

Cheers mate. So dissapointed with the mounts, will never buy anything from them again. Im looking at motorsport style mounts to replace them.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Cheers mate. So dissapointed with the mounts, will never buy anything from them again. Im looking at motorsport style mounts to replace them.

Yeah definitely hit and miss. The standard Escort mount isn't the best design, but the Vibratechnics one was shocking. Made of welded aluminium sheet, which had just cracked. Later versions were steel, but it was pretty obvious that ali would never have done the job.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Meg 250 has been sold, its gone to a great home though. Little bit sad to see it go as had very light use off us in 2.5 years we had it. Already got eyes on another car to replace it, which will be epic ;)

A few pics of it all cleaned up, great looking car.
20200815_181112.jpg
20200815_181153.jpg
20200815_180954.jpg
20200815_181221.jpg
20200815_181247.jpg
20200815_181319.jpg
20200815_181344.jpg
20200815_181519.jpg
20200815_181542.jpg
20200815_181443.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Extra van has been used quite a bit in the last few weeks.

One of my mates was at Croft in his meg on bank hol Monday. He needed a 24mm spanner taking over so dropped it off as only 30 mins away from the house. Chucked my lid in and next thing ive paid for the last hour on track for a quick shakedown.

Went really well on low boost of 12psi 171hp, no issues, oil temps of 89deg max and coolant temps around high 70s. Happy with that as not used it in anger on new setup.
20200831_172333.jpg
20200831_182724.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Fast forward a couple of weeks later and go over to Croft to help fit a set of rear pads. Stuck my lid in again and paid for all afternoon as the weather was great.

Handling is great with the quaife lsd and can really get on the power on low boost as no drama and really smooth. Its hard work to drive but so much fun.
50367381158_09ab9048c0_o.jpg
50367987686_b855927099_o.jpg
50368000241_de719e2951_o.jpg

So a couple of repairs needed now, outer cv needs replacing on the o/s and minor oil leak to sort but apart from that all good.

Ive sorn it for now for furthur winter upgrades ;)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Blue meg has been used a bit too. Had to pop down to Ipswich for an ebay purchase last weekend and give it a ride out. Drives so good, nice comfy recaros. Sat on cruise most of the journey 34mpg, 520 miles.

Give it a good clean up when we got back
20200927_175218.jpg
20200927_175243.jpg
20200927_175232.jpg

Sorn until next year now weather has turned.

Thanks for reading!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Nothing much happening with the Extra van at the moment, not touched it since Croft but will pull the engine out soon for more upgrades. All the cars are sorn for winter so its diesel power for now :LOL:

Had the blue meg out to try on the comps at the weekend, so done a collage of all 3 sets of wheels. Cannot decide which set i like the most as i like them all. Garage is full of sets of wheels!
IMG_20201012_122630.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
MO5's would suit my car more, should sell them... 👀

The old style mo6 in 5x108 and right offset are made of unobtanium for the meg, so much graft to get this set I even asked compomotive to make me a set and they fucked me off:LOL:

Still fancy a set of r26r wheels to add to the collection

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The old style mo6 in 5x108 and right offset are made of unobtanium for the meg, so much graft to get this set I even asked compomotive to make me a set and they fucked me off:LOL:

Still fancy a set of r26r wheels to add to the collection
Bloke in Scotland had some for sale the other week, said he didn't want any time wasters but didn't include a price in his post. Spastic c**t 😂

Tbh I've got enough wheels, need to offload some. I'll still never say no if @DaveL485 decided to sell me his Bola B12's 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Feels like a lifetime since ive updated this

Taxed the ph1 225 yesterday. Its been stored in a dry garage over winter with battery off. Stuck a new battery on as i nicked the old one for the Kangoo, checked fluids and it fired straight up. Brakes werent even rusty, no issues to report.

Quick snowfoam to get dust off, checked tyre pressures, steady drive upto M/boro to get some heat in everything then over the North Yorkshire moors to enjoy some b road action. Still love this car, the progress you can make on b roads is epic. 17 year old car now!

20210401_160444.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Not touched the Extra since its last ride out to Croft. Give myself a goal of getting the repairs done and mot'd for Retro Show at Santa pod on 20th of this month. Only needs a driveshaft and rear shocks fitting for mot he says?!

Jacked up and new gaz rear shocks fitted as i had robbed the previous set for the Kangoo

Gaz vs Leda rear shocks. I had intended fitting the Leda, but there is an issue with the shock body catching the beam as its larger diameter than the gaz/oem. Something to look at another day.
20210605_154040.jpg

Jack up one side on the rear and it lifts 3 wheels off the floor. Its crazy how light/stiff it is.
20210605_154034.jpg

Fuel system on show.
20210605_154246.jpg

I then moved to the front to find out what the issue was with the funny right hand turn in..basically i hit the rh apex at tower corner at Croft and the handling went a bit on the piss and i thought id damaged the outer cv.

Turns out i had blown the seals out of the avo coilover on the o/s and the shock shaft is moving all over the place and oil all over. Track rod end and inner tie rod had play, passenger shock was leaking.

Inner tie rods and outers replaced for trw. Cant argue still on the original van tie rods.
20210612_130106.jpg

Emergency shocks fitted, ex cup racer koni yellows with coilover conversion and 275lb springs. Only pic i have is measuring the shocks bolt lol. Set camber at -2deg for road use.
20210605_195311.jpg

With that done moved to the engine bay and nothing much needs doing here. Sump is leaking but not heavy.
20210605_164714.jpg

Still looking clean enough, a few scabs and battle scars but not too bothered.
20210605_195817.jpg

With them few jobs done booked it in for mot and straight through its test. It did reward me with drivers side caliper binding, so stripped and cleaned the pistons up on both sides and they seem to be behaving. Old car issues!

With that resolved took it for a test drive and running well. Still sounds great and feels raw to drive, just something about that oldskool c1j noise.
20210613_191753.jpg

Cant wait to take it to Santa Pod this weekned coming.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Santa pod and back done! No issues journey was pretty uneventful apart from the drone of the side exit exhaust/ 044 fuel pump whining away and showing up a golf gti who thought he was clever putting his foot down when i went to overtake 😆

Cleaned up before
20210619_120707.jpg
20210619_125924.jpg
IMG_20210618_190045.jpg

Pissed down all morning at Santa Pod typically but was nice to have a run out.
FB_IMG_1624647889833.jpg
FB_IMG_1624647886916.jpg

Currently looking at suspension, the konis occasionally bottom out so no good without raising the rideheight. Ive borrowed a pair of compbrake top mounts to mock up my leda front struts to see if they will go on ok.

Failing that the Avo's can go back on once rebuilt.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Long time no update, but the other cars are still getting bits done. Meg is taxed again and road legal, and a few minor service items to do.
20220418_165348.jpg

Made a start today, cv boot clip on passenger side, stock brembo pads up front, flushed the old brake and clutch fluid out for fresh. Test driven earlier and brakes are excellent again as the old fluid was knackered from previous track use.

Just engine and gear oil to change and its good to go for some summer driving.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bank hol updates

Serviced the megane, fresh 5/40 synthetic oil and changed the gear oil
20220501_122953.jpg
20220501_151201.jpg

Give the engine bay a wipe down, still nice and clean.
20220501_153605.jpg

Current mileage of 70k, low for 18 years old.
20220501_172249.jpg

Took it for a good blast out around the local b roads, the chassis is awesome feels so planted. Still one of my all time favourite hot hatches.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

For first time in years i can say all 7 of the cars are road legal and useable! Ive drove all of them this week too which is a goal of its own.

Megane hardly been used since last post but have had it out. Such a great car and does everything i need. Its fast enough to lose your licence easily, handles great, compliant enough for daily use and a simple brake pad and tyre change and its track ready. Should f**k all the other cars off and keep this but life is too short for just using the one car!

20220720_184642.jpg

Interior is class. Aircon still ice cold
20220720_200050.jpg

So good for what is classed as an older car at 18 years old.

Gtt update

Finally pulled my finger out and got it mot'd. Cleaned up as was looking rather barn find covered in dust. Fresh fuel, primed oil system and it fired up easy enough. Mot'd and 10 mile test run, no issues to report, cruised along with the old tape player on and happy hardcore tape packs playing to relive my youth!!
FB_IMG_1658822761024.jpg
FB_IMG_1658822765157.jpg
FB_IMG_1658822768042.jpg

Still very clean underneath, garage has kept it right.
20220723_090758.jpg

Grp n silencer replacement pipe for all the bangs and turbo whistle with no silencers.
20220723_090803.jpg

Extra van updates

Winter layup lasted a bit longer than anticipated due to the Trophy eating into all my spare time. Had tons of plans for mods to this but basically got nothing done. It needs nothing apart from a simple service, and oil is still super clean so not urgent.

Primed up oil and fuel system, topped up with fresh fuel and it fired first crank, fuel injection ftw! Mot'd and took it for a quick ten mile blast. The noise, hot turbo and oil/exhaust fumes is pure oldskool. Hooks up great with the quaife atb and leda suspension. No refinement whatsoever with paddle clutch, soild engine mounts, pms shifter rattle, drone off the side exit exhaust and toyo r888r whine. Love it!! Different animal compared to the gtt.
FB_IMG_1658822775125.jpg
FB_IMG_1658822771742.jpg
FB_IMG_1658822777693.jpg

Got a couple of small mods to do soon then take it to RRG if all goes well.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Bought a genuine RenaultSport Sabelt X85 clio cup racer steering wheel from R.S performance official store recently. Original type, engraved Renaultsport lettering not the later stickered up type. Wanted one of these for years but thought id missed the boat as hard to find in the uk, but seem to be easy to get overseas.
20220706_110602.jpg
20220706_110607.jpg
20220706_110411.jpg
20220706_110513.jpg

Boss arrived yesterday so fitted it to the Extra van. Loving the look with the stack dash.
20220728_153606.jpg

Also bought a cover and omp suede cart gloves to keep it nice.
20220728_160608.jpg

Took it for a quick drive and the grip on the wheel with the gloves on is epic and it feels a bit more go kart with the smaller wheel on. Loving it!!
20220728_153751.jpg

Thanks for reading!!