ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leeds_182 Volvo Thread

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Does the oil feed have a restrictor in place ?
when does it smoke ? cold start / hot start ? on boost / off throttle coasting ?

It doesn’t smoke from cold. When I went to the motorist the other day I drove for around 15-20 minutes, parked up and then left around an hour later. As I was driving out slowly it was smoking it’s bag off which Steve nicely documented for me. I then drove home, as I came to a stop to reverse onto the drive it was smoking it’s bag off again. I can’t really see anything obvious on boost, seems to be more when off the throttle or driving slowly.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
This one of your old ones? my mate is selling it

_nc_ohc=8q62S7s7z8cAX_wD6OE&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

clio
Three bulbs, a horn and a rack gaitor isn't the end of the world...

Repair immediately (major defects):​

• Offside Side repeater not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
  • Horn not working (7.7 (a) (ii))
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (3.5 (a))
  • Rear fog lamp does not emit a steady red light (4.5.4 (a))
  • Nearside Front Steering rack gaiter missing or no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):​

• Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
Nothing Major then that must have been a relief!!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
How you getting on with sorting out the white smoke?? everyone seams to think stem seals?

I don’t think it is. I took a really exciting video the other day of the car running from cold for 5 minutes. There is literally no smoke. I might actually upload it to YouTube. It’s riveting stuff.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Does it piss smoke out when you stop at a set of traffic lights or let off the throttle whilst cruising?

clio
Watched video saw some smoke at 2.07 then more around 3.40 then he condensation at the end but it sounds sweet enough. i take it has been serviced recently with the right oil & filters ps enjoyed the kids playing and the traffic passing by lol!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Does it piss smoke out when you stop at a set of traffic lights or let off the throttle whilst cruising?

I have not driven it enough to be honest but, when I came to a stop to reverse into a side street to turn round after a drive there was shed loads of smoke.

massivewangers

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Smoke on start-up is common with stem seals, as oil gets into the cylinders as the car is sitting, and is promptly burned on start-up. It can also happen after a period of idling as, again, you get a bit of oil build-up which is burned off when the engine is under a bit more load. I knew a guy with a Z20LET Corsa and it used to smoke like mad if you drive it after it idled for a couple of minutes. That was stem seals.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
I have not driven it enough to be honest but, when I came to a stop to reverse into a side street to turn round after a drive there was shed loads of smoke.

Still recon it's stem seals, they don't last forever. You'll probs get them off and find they're all hard as rock.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
We still have smoke. This is after a 20 minute drive. Craig had a look under the car and there’s quite a bit of oil on the turbo.

Last edited:

Adeyspec

ClioSport Club Member
  57 Renault Dauphine
cant see the video for some reason. Id be leaning toward rear turbo oil seals if smoking once hot or for prolonged idle. From experience stem seals smoke at start up then clear, I've had many old Renaults that don't even have them fitted. Compressor side oil leak seem to show if you boost hard then coast down for a long while sucking the oil through the engine. Have you dropped the downpipe off yet? should see oil in there or at least staining if its the rear seal

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
cant see the video for some reason. Id be leaning toward rear turbo oil seals if smoking once hot or for prolonged idle. From experience stem seals smoke at start up then clear, I've had many old Renaults that don't even have them fitted. Compressor side oil leak seem to show if you boost hard then coast down for a long while sucking the oil through the engine. Have you dropped the downpipe off yet? should see oil in there or at least staining if its the rear seal

Not dropped the down pipe but Craig had a look under this evening when we were doing the PCV and the turbo is covered in oil. Saying that, most of the underside is covered in oil.

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I can't see most videos that get posted on here either.

Anything @Nik can fix?

On android, using CS.net 'app' thing

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Revving at idle doesn't usually build much boost as there's no load on the turbo.

The simplest option has gotta be sending the turbo out to your old friends at TurboRebuild and seeing if that cures your woes?

It’s so funny, there’s literally a split down the middle. Some think turbo, others think stem seals, others think piston rings - all from viewing the same video. I think from a cost point of view, the turbo will be the cheapest option and then take it from there.

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
£1 here on rear turbo seal, drop the dp 👍🏻

That’s my vote too. I had the same on my 200sx and it was the rear turbo oil seal. It became much more apparent with a decat/lack of back pressure and i assume this is probably straight through 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  Kangoo 172cup
Id go with turbo too from replacing loads on gt turbos over the years, its nigh on always the problem of worn turbine rear seal causing smoke on hot idle. Also check the turbo oil return is not kinked or blocked, as this can cause the same issues

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
It’s so funny, there’s literally a split down the middle. Some think turbo, others think stem seals, others think piston rings - all from viewing the same video. I think from a cost point of view, the turbo will be the cheapest option and then take it from there.

Yea from a cost/convenience point of view start with the turbo.

Unless you fancy doing the stem seals yourself? A set of those don't usually cost very much at all, the big cost there is your own time.