ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Load bearing wall or not?

Looking to take down a wall below one of the bedrooms that this photos is taken in. The scribbles show which way and approximate location of the brick wall below, it runs all the way to the left to the outside wall of the back of the house.

Joists run parallel which is usually a good sign isn’t it? Not confident about how the joist are attached though on those hangers.

Any help appreciated!

E456316A-3FB1-40C2-929F-54D5260BB9EA.jpeg

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
The hangers hang the joists basically cupping underneath them so there's a good chance it's not load bearing.

What's the wall below made from? Also are there any walls above in the same line?

Not hacked off the plaster on the wall below but I think it’s just a block wall made from breeze blocks.

It’s just a 2 storey house so there are no other walls above this floor. Just the loft!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  R.S 200
Are any of the walls upstairs block? Or is it all wood stud walls upstairs?

Are any of the walls upstairs block? Or is it all wood stud walls upstairs?

some walls are block but they are in the original (old part) of the house.

orange are the block walls downstairs I want to remove to have a bigger kitchen/ dining

green lines are stud walls dividing 2 of the bedrooms upstairs

Purple lines are obviously the external brick walls.

74311E84-6F38-49DD-AE99-DAE778FA728E.jpeg

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Looks like it would be fine to remove to me. Hard to say without looking in person though. Runs parallel with the joists so isn't supporting those.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  R.S 200
To my amateur eyes, you’d be fine. Although, I’d want to be putting in a hefty beam for strength once the wall is down.

Thanks for the replies, just to be sure I’ll rip up the flooring in the bedroom again one day and get an engineer out I think for some peace of mind. Wonder what someone would charge for that sort of thing.

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Thanks for the replies, just to be sure I’ll rip up the flooring in the bedroom again one day and get an engineer out I think for some peace of mind. Wonder what someone would charge for that sort of thing.
For a look, probably not a lot.
For a structural engineers report, £4-1200.
It's fine though, that wall isn't load bearing

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  R.S 200
🤣 what's the beam going to do if it's not load bearing 🤣🤔

like I said. I’m an amateur. But I’d have thought that there’d be more flex/movement across the upstairs if the wall is down? Load bearing or not? Surely it still stops some kind of movement?

Measuring the timbers will tell you if there supported or not.
This is great - thank you.

Shame I didn’t bother measuring the joists yesterday when I had the floorboards up, another job for the weekend!

With the joist height and width and the distant between each parallel joist I’ll be able to work out the span/ length that each joist can support itself without the need for a supporting wall below right?

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
like I said. I’m an amateur. But I’d have thought that there’d be more flex/movement across the upstairs if the wall is down? Load bearing or not? Surely it still stops some kind of movement?

No, if it was doing that it would be load bearing.

SteveC_1879

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You’d assume it wasn’t load bearing with how the joists are ran. However, with the joists being hung rather than set into the wall, there is a chance it could be supporting the 2 parallel runs that the joists are hung from if that makes sense?

An old terrace I had a few years back was like that. They’d thrown an extension on the back and plonked a block wall in the middle of it that basically acted as a centre support for the 2 huge parallel joists that the rest were hung from. It was only single story so why they didn’t just sit the ends in the walls was beyond me. Made such a simple job a huge roof off ball ache.

Personally I’d play it safe. Prop the ceiling with acrows, knock the wall out and then gently let the pressure off them. If upstairs starts to move towards downstairs quickly tighten them up and hoy a 6x4 steel in. If it doesn’t then job well done 👌

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
You’d assume it wasn’t load bearing with how the joists are ran. However, with the joists being hung rather than set into the wall, there is a chance it could be supporting the 2 parallel runs that the joists are hung from if that makes sense?

An old terrace I had a few years back was like that. They’d thrown an extension on the back and plonked a block wall in the middle of it that basically acted as a centre support for the 2 huge parallel joists that the rest were hung from. It was only single story so why they didn’t just sit the ends in the walls was beyond me. Made such a simple job a huge roof off ball ache.

Personally I’d play it safe. Prop the ceiling with acrows, knock the wall out and then gently let the pressure off them. If upstairs starts to move towards downstairs quickly tighten them up and hoy a 6x4 steel in. If it doesn’t then job well done 👌

If only they did a 6 x 4 steel 😂

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

It looks to me like the joist wallplates are bolted to the wall either end. If this is the case, it should be fine to take the wall down.
It should really have a bolt in pretty much every gap between the joists.

Just thinking about it the main kitchen presently has nothing supporting the beams on the floor above it so surely if they all run the same way then that wall marked in orange cannot be supporting them

31F9358B-F009-4706-B1C9-7C6D4037B087.jpeg

Clio with a body kit
Does the plasterboard run right through on the underside of the joists? If it does then it was put up before the wall was built and therefore not dependant on the wall below.

Does the plasterboard run right through on the underside of the joists? If it does then it was put up before the wall was built and therefore not dependant on the wall below.
Need to lift up the bedroom again to check, thanks for the advice though.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
152 x 89? Pretty much 6"x4" ?

Indeed.... However when you don’t make a typo, a 7x4 I beam is available literally everywhere.

View attachment 1520708

Case in point, two people who know what they are on about. One has gone 152 x 89 x 16 and the other has gone 178 x 102 x 19 for a 6x4.

I used to get it all the time at work with builders. "It's a 6 x 4 mate, I just need a bit of 6 x 4........ Just 6 x 4, 6 inch... By 4 inch... " then an inevitable argument when it was the wrong size.

Sorry, I'm touchy about it lol.

SteveC_1879

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Case in point, two people who know what they are on about. One has gone 152 x 89 x 16 and the other has gone 178 x 102 x 19 for a 6x4.

I used to get it all the time at work with builders. "It's a 6 x 4 mate, I just need a bit of 6 x 4........ Just 6 x 4, 6 inch... By 4 inch... " then an inevitable argument when it was the wrong size.

Sorry, I'm touchy about it lol.

😂😂 I should know better really. Worked at a steel supplier a few years back and used to go off it when some dozy t**t would phone and ask for a bit of plate that’s 6ft by 3m and about 12mm thick. You’d spend ages going round the doors to find out every measurement was wrong and what they actually wanted was 2m x 3m by 25mm

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
😂😂 I should know better really. Worked at a steel supplier a few years back and used to go off it when some dozy t**t would phone and ask for a bit of plate that’s 6ft by 3m and about 12mm thick. You’d spend ages going round the doors to find out every measurement was wrong and what they actually wanted was 2m x 3m by 25mm

Aah the old imperimetric system. Improved only by adding in bricks as a width.

"I need a bit of steel, 10 inch deep by a brick wide and about 4m long...., how much would that be mate?.... Yeah that's delivered to an address I've not yet given you yeah..."

Used to drive me insane.