ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke’s E90 M3

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
No surprise here! I picked up the Megane’s replacement yesterday (thanks for the lift @TheEvilGiraffe 😘).

I’d been looking at E9x M3’s for a few months and had decided they were my next car. The main issue with them, as per all BMW’s, is the spec, or in the E9x case - the lack thereof.

And then, midweek, I see this:

DCT
EDC
LCI
Logic 7
Sunroof
Etc, etc - after a quick sanity check with @Sir_Dave it appeared that everything was pretty much ticked other than folding rear seats.

Most importantly, it’s an E90, which makes it infinitely cooler 😎

94A27038-8FE2-465C-904B-1B8925070667.jpeg

D5788774-D29C-4E2D-A71A-01FDC5790945.jpeg

C114E7E9-F237-404C-BF5D-2CF3E4BC029C.jpeg

1A05EE12-3219-455D-9A89-0BFB18BEC6FB.jpeg

0945E3DC-C4FB-433F-9983-FE421AE9E804.jpeg

Some of you may have clocked that it’s had updated 4 pots (coincidentally the same brakes as on the Meg 250), and it has also had the ‘Stage 2’ map along with gutted pre-cats at Evolve, plus the GTS DCT map.

Plans?

Firstly, it needs a paint correction - it’s horrendous. That will be done next month when I’ve got a few days off work.

Other than that, some comp wheels at some point and really just stay on top of the maintenance.

TLDR: It’s f**king fabulous and I love it 😍

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Absolute beauty of a car 😍

Most importantly, it’s an E90, which makes it infinitely cooler

100% they look soooo much better that the coupe and cabs. Far more purposeful 👌🏻

I reckon these are going to start creeping up in price soon too.

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Swirl shedddddd

Can't wait to see what the paint looks like after a weekend of some work on it

The paint is SO bad now, right? I can’t wait to get my hands on a DA. That’s fairly significant for me to say, as I’m far from a ‘detailer’

Is it Carbon Black? (I’m colour blind)

As Terrence says mate, it’s Jerez Black.

Carbon looks slightly more blue under light, and also more metallic.

However, I think CB was something mental like £3.5k extra, compared to Jerez at £400.

It’s a lovely colour, I just can’t enjoy it currently as it looks like some nutters attacked it with a Brillo pad

Absolute beauty of a car 😍

100% they look soooo much better that the coupe and cabs. Far more purposeful 👌🏻

I reckon these are going to start creeping up in price soon too.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I always preferred the E90 over E92, but due to how rare they come up with a decent spec I’d almost discounted them.

Tbh, I’d pretty much sold myself on a white E92. Bit of a change!

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
CS - thoughts.

Keep the black kidney grilles or go back to chrome/black?

Also will be ordering new plates/M3 badge asap to freshen up.

And just to give you an idea of what the paint quality is like, check the second pic, rear quarter 🤢

Matt W

ClioSport Club Member
  Suzuki Jimny
Love it.

Surprised no ones mentioned rod bearings or throttle actuators. According to the bmw pages these blow up every journey you take 😂

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Love it.

Surprised no ones mentioned rod bearings or throttle actuators. According to the bmw pages these blow up every journey you take 😂

Haha, indeed.

I did a lot of research before buying.

This is on 98k, and was under BMW warranty until 85k. TA’s were replaced at 68k, along with a DCT leak under warranty.

The RB’s were done at Evolve at 85k, the previous owner couldn’t justify the BMW warranty at over 80k (£3500 pa) so decided to get them done.

Now, I was always very much in the mindset of ‘get them done myself’ - but I think these cars are very much a case of ‘buy the seller’.

He’d had it for 6 years, talked me through the warm up cycle he does - I’m confident he didn’t get the bearings done and then just redline it from cold.

Injectors are now the new ‘in thing’ with these, one sticking open and flooding the chamber - causing engine failure. I’m a sucker for internet horror stories, and would be lying if I told you that I hadn’t priced this up already 🤣

Luckily, my dads neighbour owns an Indie, and will be taking it over there in the week to speak to him about service schedule etc.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Welcome to the club. Such an epic car.

Must be something about Jerez black as mine is swirl city as well.

Also be prepared to spend spend spend. So many fun bits to buy for them!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
CS - thoughts.

Keep the black kidney grilles or go back to chrome/black?

Also will be ordering new plates/M3 badge asap to freshen up.

And just to give you an idea of what the paint quality is like, check the second pic, rear quarter 🤢

Gloss black good, matt black bad.

Mine came with matt black grills, swapped for chrome with a lad from work, then got a set of genuine M Performance gloss black grills.

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Gloss black good, matt black bad.

Mine came with matt black grills, swapped for chrome with a lad from work, then got a set of genuine M Performance gloss black grills.

I’m inclined to agree, these are gloss thankfully and I actually quite like the look.

Exciting update: ordered a new M3 badge for the back to replace the old, worn one.

I’ve also gone full rainman and ordered a boat full of detailing gear. The last car I properly ‘detailed’ was my Trophy - 10 years ago.

@Strell - tell me about it. I’ve been eying up wheels and plenums all morning 🤣

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I’m inclined to agree, these are gloss thankfully and I actually quite like the look.

Exciting update: ordered a new M3 badge for the back to replace the old, worn one.

I’ve also gone full rainman and ordered a boat full of detailing gear. The last car I properly ‘detailed’ was my Trophy - 10 years ago.

@Strell - tell me about it. I’ve been eying up wheels and plenums all morning 🤣
I’ve known you 10 years…f**k.

Also I didn’t even notice the black grills. Keep them for now and go back to chrome once you get rid of the bling tastic standard wheels and get some nice silver comp wheels.

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I’ve known you 10 years…f**k.

Also I didn’t even notice the black grills. Keep them for now and go back to chrome once you get rid of the bling tastic standard wheels and get some nice silver comp wheels.

I know mate, madness.

Found a pic from 10 years ago with my old Trophy and your old (and my old) Zetec S 😂

E8BB5791-427E-4516-B895-6A0A2408AB6B.jpeg

In terms of wheels, I actually don’t mind the 220’s on the E90, but they’re in need of a refurb.

I still think I’ll go down the route of M359 style wheels to be honest.

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
I like the black grills but then I can’t say much as I’ve slowly made my way through the m performance billy bolt ons catalogue. 😬😆

I'd be keeping the wheels on there if it were mine and aiming for a mint exterior. Sadly it's not mine though..:D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
In terms of wheels, I actually don’t mind the 220’s on the E90, but they’re in need of a refurb.

I still think I’ll go down the route of M359 style wheels to be honest.

Yeah, M359's would be my choice, a bloke at work has a late E92 with M359's and it looks mega :cool:

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I like the black grills but then I can’t say much as I’ve slowly made my way through the m performance billy bolt ons catalogue. 😬😆

I'd be keeping the wheels on there if it were mine and aiming for a mint exterior. Sadly it's not mine though..:D

Yeah, I keep on flittering between to be honest.

The main pro for the 220’s that are on there currently is the fact that they are forged.

However:

111B0206-CB95-421C-A5BF-F7C93204AC74.jpeg

The main issue with the above is that the genuine wheels are 1) about £2k used and 2) rare to come up for sale.

Lots of the guys on Cutter run reps, as they are identical to OEM including offset. But they’re heavier than the forged 220’s that are currently on.