ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Also, as I’ve seen them mentioned above...

Do any mechanics here have the sub compact Milwaukee 3/8” guns? If so, how do you find using them in the workshop?

I’m really tempted but just not sure on the stubby square end in practical use? Just thinking when you’re working in tighter spaces you kind of need the nose of the tool to be slimmer and fit between engine parts/suspension parts. Being big and flat it could be a case of needing extensions? Obviously then it kills the torque quite a bit.

These ones

D3F7B866-DA73-4EEA-BEEC-987ADA93CE62.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone got the WiFi impact wrench where you can set the tightening torque with your phone?

Does that actually work?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Works as in you'd trust it to torque to spec or always check with a torque wrench which makes it more of a gimmick?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
@Louis has one and it seems proper good

Not sure if @dann2707 has one too

I’m not doubting they’re good, as in powerful etc but just wondered how they work physically in the workshop scenario with such a big flat nose. Say you just put a short impact socket on you’re effectively limited to a space only slightly less shallow than the socket itself.

They do one with a more pointed nose in the fuel but it goes up to 18v and the huge battery which really I don’t want the bulk. It’s also seemingly twice the price.

I’m just thinking of how I use my current one and generally you want the 3/8 for the tighter places and poking between hoses etc. Without the regular nose you’re effectively losing a couple of inches of poke through gaps.

I saw the price and thought it looks great and seemingly performs well but I’m kind of thinking it’d be a bad idea for actual use.

The FFX website wasn’t working this morning so gave up looking. Gonna see now if I can find one.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Yorkshire Pudding you've bloody set me off. Been googling best places to buy an M12 with battery and charger all eve. Want the M12 first then probably the 12v ratchet and die grinder.

Got any recommendations for good places to buy after your recent shopping spree? For me, and most of the things I do the M12 looks like a great bit of kit.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I got all of mine from these 2 sites. They're the cheapest around

Good luck, your wallet is going to need it 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
@Yorkshire Pudding you've bloody set me off. Been googling best places to buy an M12 with battery and charger all eve. Want the M12 first then probably the 12v ratchet and die grinder.

Got any recommendations for good places to buy after your recent shopping spree? For me, and most of the things I do the M12 looks like a great bit of kit.
Mine were from SGS, found them the cheapest and delivery/ service was spot on.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers chaps!

They seem to do an 18V body which is pretty much the same size as the M12? Any recommendations as to which I should go for. I hadn't actually paid any attention to that before I started looking and ideally would like to use the same battery type across all the tools. So one charger and a couple of batteries for 3-4 tools. The plan goes to s**t if I buy an angle grinder which is also on the wish list hmmmm.

Thinking that a smallish impact (Can borrow a silly large dewalt if needed), then something to grind mig welds would probably be my main uses. So either the M12 with the die grinder (which does look like a nice little thing) or the M18 with an angle grinder hmmmm. Interestingly the M12 has a higher max torque than the smallest M18 impact gun which I wasn't expecting...

These look amazing:

Also: Just watched this, I know its not quite the same thing or application but the baby dewalt seems to be a but of a monster!

Rob

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
How have you managed to get your hands so clean?

I haven't touched my car in at least a week now and hands are still tinged with muck even after washing the s**t out of them at least a few times a day 😂 I think at this stage the only way to remove the embedded crap is to have them chemically stripped to the bone

Biological washing powder and hydraulic oil, i used to be an Agricultural engineer years ago and it what we all kept in the service vans

Right.

I want I want I want: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/mil...ueltm-right-angle-impact-wrench-3-8-body-only

Seem unavailable in the UK at the moment though :(

Do all american mechanics have beards?

I was tempted but they seem to struggle with bolts over M10

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So took the rear beam out of my clio yesterday - including exhaust/brackets etcetc - naturally all with rusty nuts and bolts. Annoyed my self so much that I hadn't bought the little impact last week so last night bought:
1594548824597.png

eBAY

Should be here on Tuesday. Next up is the baby die grinder which should be great for any rust scabs and weld prep. Amazingly no weld prep on the Clio! Just every other car I own 🤦‍♂️

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Biological washing powder and hydraulic oil, i used to be an Agricultural engineer years ago and it what we all kept in the service vans

I was tempted but they seem to struggle with bolts over M10

Ahhh, I saw they struggle with some tight stuff but will probably still get one in the future when they are more available. Just seem like a really nice form factor for getting to most things. The big f**k off dewalt that I steal from my old man occasionally is fantastic but heavy and can't get into most places you want to use it! Plus I don't have a ramp or anything so to use the big form factor tools under a car it has to be jacked up pretty high, and given that I'm incredibly lazy I resent the extra jack pumps.

PS I take it you use the hydraulic oil before the bio powder? I've always found that good barrier cream before work and normal swarfega works fine, the cream stops all the grime getting buried in lines of your hand so much.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
PS I take it you use the hydraulic oil before the bio powder? I've always found that good barrier cream before work and normal swarfega works fine, the cream stops all the grime getting buried in lines of your hand so much.

Spent most of my days covered in hydraulic/back end oil but we used to mix it together and use like swarfega,
I still love the smell of Case Hy-tran when i smell it

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't looking forward to changing the suspension on my wife's Civic as I'd seen the state the bolts were in.. Tried this before on a Clio with handtools and that ended in lots of swearing, shouting and frantically looking for the angle grinder.

Nice and crusty
20200712_175718.jpg

Three minutes with a wire brush and some plus gas and in comes the Makita:

Got all bolts off in seconds, best 400 quid I've spent in a while!

Attachments

• 20200712_184349.mp4
    21.2 MB

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought this too, building up rear beam at the moment and want to give some scabby bits a grind down before epoxy....

1594635858335.png

Weirdly excited to give it a go! Got all the roloc pads etc from my pneumatic grinder which is 2 miles away in the garage with compressor so a battery lump makes a lot of sense.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't looking forward to changing the suspension on my wife's Civic as I'd seen the state the bolts were in.. Tried this before on a Clio with handtools and that ended in lots of swearing, shouting and frantically looking for the angle grinder.

Nice and crusty
View attachment 1485383

Three minutes with a wire brush and some plus gas and in comes the Makita:

Got all bolts off in seconds, best 400 quid I've spent in a while!

Don't you just absolutely love how dog s**t jap cars go underneath. My lexus looks like the absolute pits from the bottom up.

1594636878436.png

Just look at the f*ing state of that! 2009 RX, still drives fine but I really need to sort this mess out. Trouble is that for every bolt/joint on the Clio this has like 4, and it all looks heavy.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Haha you're totally right, it's amazing how rusty everything is altough it does all seem to be surface rust now I've got the bolts off.

You'd think that Japan being an island, they'd have sorted rust issues on their cars by now though..

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yea exactly! I think they use good quality metal, I've had a few old fords etc and when they looked not even half as bad as that underneath you could poke screw drivers through everywhere. This looks awful but hasn't actually gone too far (yet).

Reactions: MLB

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I've just been stripping down an MX5 - actually was not too bad underneath! Some seem to survive ok.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've just been stripping down an MX5 - actually was not too bad underneath! Some seem to survive ok.

Yes I've seen a few MX5's and they don't seem to suffer in the same way that Honda and Toyota do - although when they start to go crusty they seem to do it fairly well and require welding rather than a clean up.

My car was a stupid purchase, I made the dumb assumption that Lexus meant indestructible and didn't bother to look under it the same way I do with everything else. But its previous owner was a business woman who lived in Ireland and regularly drove to the UK and without trying to sound like a sexist pig.... I've never seen that many girls jet washing the underside of their cars post winter or drive up a salty motorway! :)