ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Perhaps you should ask Milwaukee for a job? :LOL:
I genuinely would be a great advocate for their products as I always show good results by the tool actually in action in a real life situation. None of that standing in front of a brand spanking clean worktop undoing bolts that have been greased like hell and under torqued to wow the customer.

Come to think of it quite a few friends have bought milwaukee stuff under my recommendation 😂

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I genuinely would be a great advocate for their products as I always show good results by the tool actually in action in a real life situation. None of that standing in front of a brand spanking clean worktop undoing bolts that have been greased like hell and under torqued to wow the customer.

Come to think of it quite a few friends have bought milwaukee stuff under my recommendation 😂

Start a yt channel, guys are always getting free tools to review on there milwaukee must do it too.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I do exactly the same balljoint splitter and impact, go with a bang sometimes.

Impact gun and spring compressors is the risky one:ROFLMAO:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Boss bought this twin 18V plunge saw for me to use with the guide rail. My DeWalt 110V chopsaw is making agricultural noises so it's gone in to the local toolshop for a diagnosis. I can see me ordering a twin 18V Makita chopsaw in a weeks time.
DSC_1130~2-01.jpeg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Boss bought this twin 18V plunge saw for me to use with the guide rail. My DeWalt 110V chopsaw is making agricultural noises so it's gone in to the local toolshop for a diagnosis. I can see me ordering a twin 18V Makita chopsaw in a weeks time.
View attachment 1492499
Talking of chop saws

I went on a bit of a spiral of doom/money spending the other day and told myself I wanted a bigger chop saw or a saw that's a bit better than my Starrett unit. I am not too happy with the cut on the Starret if i'm honest and i've already gone through a few blades particularly because its a dry cutting saw.

I looked at abrasive chop saws to see how bad they are compared to a cold chop saw (slow, the finish is s**t and they can flex) not to mention the sparks and dust.

So thought hmmmm a cold chop saw would be better then and then looking at how you can't just have one disc for everything (I do a lot of mild steel AND stainless) so A - swapping between the two is not ideal and B - the stainless blades are significantly more expensive and you can really destroy them pretty easily.

So plan C, it's currently in my basket after speaking to a few custom exhaust and fab shops (GizFab if anyone knows?)

10" over the 8" model.
Coolant pump too and the reliability.
Going to hit buy as soon as I have a job confirmed bcos it is infact £1.8k lol

1598543565652.png

Bought one of those Makita knock-offs the other day.

Pile of crap.

I'm very happy with the Makita LXT stuff and have a lot of it now. Tempted to go Milwaukee for their 12v stuff as their battery packs and tools are better form factor than Makita for that size stuff.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Talking of chop saws

I went on a bit of a spiral of doom/money spending the other day and told myself I wanted a bigger chop saw or a saw that's a bit better than my Starrett unit. I am not too happy with the cut on the Starret if i'm honest and i've already gone through a few blades particularly because its a dry cutting saw.

I looked at abrasive chop saws to see how bad they are compared to a cold chop saw (slow, the finish is s**t and they can flex) not to mention the sparks and dust.

So thought hmmmm a cold chop saw would be better then and then looking at how you can't just have one disc for everything (I do a lot of mild steel AND stainless) so A - swapping between the two is not ideal and B - the stainless blades are significantly more expensive and you can really destroy them pretty easily.

So plan C, it's currently in my basket after speaking to a few custom exhaust and fab shops (GizFab if anyone knows?)

10" over the 8" model.
Coolant pump too and the reliability.
Going to hit buy as soon as I have a job confirmed bcos it is infact £1.8k lol

View attachment 1492501

Are you cutting pipe or solid stock? Is your Starrett one of the old school powered hacksaw types? I always find the cuts on things like that just like a decent hacksaw job (surprise) and a big circular disk can give seriously impressive surface finishes.

Might be worth finding an exhaust place that does titanium too as titanium can be a t**t to cut because it work hardens as you go along, my thinking is if they get reliable good cuts on titanium, steel should be a doddle!

What make/model is the lump you've pictured?

You don't fancy one of these?

How slow is that. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Impact gun and spring compressors is the risky one:ROFLMAO:

Does make it a s**t ton faster though.

I keep meaning to buy one of the upright spring compressors on a stand - would save me literally minutes each year, do look a lot safer though. Bloke at work knocked his front tooth out when a spring compressor slipped off recently, was so fucked off, his daughter had dropper her phone and hit a tree and did the front of her Fiesta in so he was 'sorting' it. Can't imagine it was fun at home for her after he did his tooth in fixing it.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Are you cutting pipe or solid stock? Is your Starrett one of the old school powered hacksaw types? I always find the cuts on things like that just like a decent hacksaw job (surprise) and a big circular disk can give seriously impressive surface finishes.

Might be worth finding an exhaust place that does titanium too as titanium can be a t**t to cut because it work hardens as you go along, my thinking is if they get reliable good cuts on titanium, steel should be a doddle!

What make/model is the lump you've pictured?

You don't fancy one of these?

How slow is that. 🤦‍♂️

Haha on that video he goes "briytish hairy-tidge" 😂😂😂😂😂

It's one of these
https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-01524-10-swivel-head-pull-down-metal-cutting-bandsaw-230v.html

The starrett is very similar to the types I'm looking at, nice extruded bow and horizontal cutting type.

Just fancy something a bit more substantial, I'll mainly be cutting tube and box section but my thinking being this is future proofing myself.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Just picked up a new 14.4v Microlithium CT761 3/8 gun and 2 batteries. I’m only a hobbyist mechanic these days, so should be fine for me.
Not used it yet, but it’s nice and compact so looking forward to it. The big boy 1/2 DeWalt is great but it’s a cumbersome unit for smaller jobs. These are rated to 120lbsft but I’ve seen them undo at 150lbsft.

470B6CF5-0B2C-437C-B2C5-2A4906B14D4E.jpeg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Just picked up a new 14.4v Microlithium CT761 3/8 gun and 2 batteries. I’m only a hobbyist mechanic these days, so should be fine for me.
Not used it yet, but it’s nice and compact so looking forward to it. The big boy 1/2 DeWalt is great but it’s a cumbersome unit for smaller jobs. These are rated to 120lbsft but I’ve seen them undo at 150lbsft.

View attachment 1493049

I’ve used these at work & love them, I’d have preferred one to the Milwaukee stubby I bought. Yes the Milwaukee is more powerful but the shape of this snap on impact is perfect for getting in places you’d want to with a 3/8”. The Milwaukee misses that longer snout and I find I have to use extensions or longer sockets which ends up reducing torque so the extra power is negated a lot of the time. The snap on is plenty powerful enough anyway for a 3/8” compact impact.

I still have a snap on full frame 3/8” impact but the batteries are too big really.

Only neg for me on these newer Snap on impacts is the reliability doesn’t seem that great. My old 1/2” & 3/8” snap on’s have been beaten for years (over 10) and still work fine (except holding charge) whereas my work mates upgraded to new ones & have had issues with them. Even my dealer said mine was the last decent one they made.

I am still tempted to buy one of these little 3/8” ones though, maybe when my dealer has a trade in one & wants some holiday cash. But how many impacts does a guy need!

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Why are you securing it into the mortar and not the brick? Surely the brick will be the strongest anchoring point by far?

Of course you need to drill into the brick ... perfect excuse to buy an SDS 😄

Ever drilled into breezeblock/block walls? They crumble like f**k half the time.

Wouldn't need an SDS either really for that. Hammer drill would do it, they're mega soft.

Ever drilled into breezeblock/block walls? They crumble like f**k half the time.

Wouldn't need an SDS either really for that. Hammer drill would do it, they're mega soft.

I'm no builder or expert but they look like concrete blocks rather than breeze block?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Pull it off the wall fill the holes with chemical fix stick some threaded rod in then bolt it back on once it’s set.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Get a bosch multipurpose drill bit for in your cordless drill, it'll fly through those blocks even without hammer turned on

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm no builder or expert but they look like concrete blocks rather than breeze block?

Concrete block, cinder block, breeze block, thermal block, whatever you want to call them, all much of a muchness, soft as s**t and end up crumbling when you drill them.

I'd say its more about the fixing than the wall type. Hence why you can get plasterboard fixings that'll take 50kg+ on one fixing.

If it's up and doesn't move though, who cares 😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 Thats a better solution for storing tools than the cabinets I have tbf, nice work.
Cheers, it's nice to have them all together.

If there's one valuable thing I've learnt from doing car stuff in the garage is that tidyness is key. No matter what you're doing, how great or little the job is, keep tidy throughout as it reduces the stress and headaches later on.

When I'm working on a car now I'll always have two metal magnetic trays. One for tools and one for bolts/fasteners and clips.

There's nothing worse than tripping over screwdrivers, kicking bolts as you move around the garage, resting tools in a manic game of jenga like state on the scuttle panel....just no. Makes things happen so much smoother when you know where everything is.

I feel exactly the same when it comes to tidyness in the tool box too. Dedicated drawer for torx, flat, Philips, measuring drawer, welding drawer, marking and cutting drawer. Anything else makes my nipples lactate in sadness

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Cheers, it's nice to have them all together.

If there's one valuable thing I've learnt from doing car stuff in the garage is that tidyness is key. No matter what you're doing, how great or little the job is, keep tidy throughout as it reduces the stress and headaches later on.

When I'm working on a car now I'll always have two metal magnetic trays. One for tools and one for bolts/fasteners and clips.

There's nothing worse than tripping over screwdrivers, kicking bolts as you move around the garage, resting tools in a manic game of jenga like state on the scuttle panel....just no. Makes things happen so much smoother when you know where everything is.

I feel exactly the same when it comes to tidyness in the tool box too. Dedicated drawer for torx, flat, Philips, measuring drawer, welding drawer, marking and cutting drawer. Anything else makes my nipples lactate in sadness

You taking piss?

Whenever we've been doing any jobs at yours, "Dan, wheres this?" "in the alcove mate" "Dan, wheres that?" "in the alcove" "Dan wheres this?" "in the alcove as well"

😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got a battery powered inflator? Do they work well? Is it the ultimate lazy man's tool I hope it is?

I've been looking at something like this
61MTNgIHkjL._AC_SY355_.jpg