ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Fodda172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys, that will be my next purchase then. I really can't be bothered with inflating and deflating tyres with a handpump anymore..

And with a couple of trackdays coming up this seems ideal!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
This thread makes me horny. Sadly I am also too poor for the fancy s**t. I have a lot of bargain tools and to be fair they do the job for me. My best piece is a Bosch professional hammer drill. It’s a lovely bit of kit. Eventually I’ll have Milwaukee stuff when I come into some cash on the lottery thread..

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, M12 battery powered. £100

See quite a few at track days.

How do the M12 batteries hold up on a track day? The Makita 18v seem to be going on and on, but I've seen some reviews of the M12 batteries only being able to inflate a couple of tyres?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How do the M12 batteries hold up on a track day? The Makita 18v seem to be going on and on, but I've seen some reviews of the M12 batteries only being able to inflate a couple of tyres?

I had a look at it and decided it wasn’t worth it for the money tbh.
It’s stupid it doesn’t come with a cable to fit to a cig socket since it’s 12v, assume it would be fairly obvious that would be a good idea.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed, would've been a nice addition altough I hate the corded unit in my wife's car. Never able to get the cable back in and half the time you pull the plug out of the 12v socket.

I do like the screw on connector and hands free system of the milwaukee but I think the 18v makita unit will be stronger and with 5ah 18v batteries you wint need to bring spares for a track day.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Agreed, would've been a nice addition altough I hate the corded unit in my wife's car. Never able to get the cable back in and half the time you pull the plug out of the 12v socket.

I do like the screw on connector and hands free system of the milwaukee but I think the 18v makita unit will be stronger and with 5ah 18v batteries you wint need to bring spares for a track day.

Plus you can get the coffee machine too with the makita..:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Takes four bloody minutes to make a cup of coffee though!

I've seen some reviews and I am severely tempted to buy it, just for the comments you'll get when getting that out of the car!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
1601212716802.png

Finally had some weather to use this and its been excellent.
Feels almost exactly like heated seats in a car do especially worn under another coat, nice an toasty when your stood about.

My only gripe is the placement of the battery pocket on the back, feels a bit weird and is annoying when you sit down.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1498125

Feels almost exactly like heated seats in a car do especially worn under another coat, nice an toasty when your stood about.

My only gripe is the placement of the battery pocket on the back, feels a bit weird and is annoying when you sit down.

Got a lintel to fit on the house, its getting cold... seeing this again has reminded me to get one! Thinking that while I inevitably stand about looking at the collapsed wall I will at least be warm.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1498125

Dont know if it’s like the makita one I’ve got but mine uses a jack plug on the jacket which then goes to the makita battery adaptor and battery.

I’ve got these 12v battery packs I use for my night vision scopes for shooting. Got them off eBay and they have the jack plugs built on. Tried them on the jacket and works perfectly. They’re a lot smaller than the tool batteries and don’t need an adaptor either.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Dont know if it’s like the makita one I’ve got but mine uses a jack plug on the jacket which then goes to the makita battery adaptor and battery.

I’ve got these 12v battery packs I use for my night vision scopes for shooting. Got them off eBay and they have the jack plugs built on. Tried them on the jacket and works perfectly. They’re a lot smaller than the tool batteries and don’t need an adaptor either.

Oh yea, we all get them for when we go out shooting people at night.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Looking to get an impact driver at Christmas from my parents, I did borrow my dads dewalt from work which had some decent grunt but very bulky.

I know milwaukee is meant to be really good , probably looking to spend around £300 - £350 with battery and charger ?

What do people recommend for rebuilding cars and for use with track days.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Looking to get an impact driver at Christmas from my parents, I did borrow my dads dewalt from work which had some decent grunt but very bulky.

I know milwaukee is meant to be really good , probably looking to spend around £300 - £350 with battery and charger ?

Do you want an impact driver or an impact wrench?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

This:

M12 3/8 Impact Milwaukee

1602417175002.png

Its absolutely the most used power tool I own. Its compact so you can use it more areas, light and has enough grunt for most automotive bits you will come across.

Perhaps use the left over dosh to spend on some good impact sockets (normal and deep). The M12 range is very wide, there are a lot of other tools for you to use the battery in.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Has anyone come across any 3/8 impact sockets. Only ones I have come across are Mac and a pain to get hold of.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
For the best balance of quality vs price, these can't be beat

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
This:

M12 3/8 Impact Milwaukee

View attachment 1500746

Its absolutely the most used power tool I own. Its compact so you can use it more areas, light and has enough grunt for most automotive bits you will come across.

Perhaps use the left over dosh to spend on some good impact sockets (normal and deep). The M12 range is very wide, there are a lot of other tools for you to use the battery in.
Looks sexual

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Wow. Thinking about it the last time I looked was when I got my little m12 Milwaukee and that was 4 years ago now.

More stuff to buy ☺️

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I use quite a lot of US Pro gear, some of it is alright just to beat on

Can't beat a good snap-on spanner though, I keep my eye out for cheap ones because they're way better fitting than cheap ones and rounding that last bolt is never a good thing

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I was browsing the other night for extra long ring spanners. Us pro came up as a good deal but I was sceptical. What long spanners are people using?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I was browsing the other night for extra long ring spanners. Us pro came up as a good deal but I was sceptical. What long spanners are people using?

Funnily enough I was looking at set from machinemart the other eve:

No idea what they would be like... I keep meaning to buy a set of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0AYG0/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Really like the Wera screw drivers I have, seem to grip better than most others

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Funnily enough I was looking at set from machinemart the other eve:

No idea what they would be like... I keep meaning to buy a set of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0AYG0/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Really like the Wera screw drivers I have, seem to grip better than most others

They look pretty decent. I want as many sizes as possible in a matching set but not sh*t.

Those Weras' will be a pleasure to wield I'm sure!

I need some aviator spanners, they come in handy more times than you'd expect

Yeh, I always want them when doing suspension stuff.