ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah that’s crap then.

I really like my snap on impact sockets. I’m no fan boy as my dealer will tell you but I do love my snap on impacts.

In fact, I wouldn’t buy normal chrome sockets if I were starting again. Six sided impact sockets FTW! I prefer the way they feel on the fastener. All my tools are beaten to death and I’m not a tart with them though. Spent too much time mobile for that!

Yeah that’s crap then.

I really like my snap on impact sockets. I’m no fan boy as my dealer will tell you but I do love my snap on impacts.

In fact, I wouldn’t buy normal chrome sockets if I were starting again. Six sided impact sockets FTW! I prefer the way they feel on the fastener. All my tools are beaten to death and I’m not a tart with them though. Spent too much time mobile for that!
Yup mine are nearly all impact and I know what you mean they do feel better!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Is the m12 man enough for subframe bolts and the hub nuts or is the m18 needed for tasks like that ? I like the conpactness of the m12 but being 12v does it last long ?

I did borrow a dewalt which was pretty powerful but was very bulky and heavy so struggled getting into areas.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Is the m12 man enough for subframe bolts and the hub nuts or is the m18 needed for tasks like that ? I like the conpactness of the m12 but being 12v does it last long ?

I did borrow a dewalt which was pretty powerful but was very bulky and heavy so struggled getting into areas.
I've only charged my m12 once since buying it around 10 months ago? I'm a weekend warrior.

It handles subframe bolts easily

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I've only charged my m12 once since buying it around 10 months ago? I'm a weekend warrior.

It handles subframe bolts easily

Im going to get one ordered , i only do bits a weekend but have 2 clios to build and my 200sx

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If you want one that will tackle everything, the M18 mid torque is the one to get.

It's more compact than the really big heavy hitter.

For most things though, the M12 stubby will do it.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

No, it’s no good for subframe or hub nut bolts, you really want a full size 18v gun for that type of stuff. It’ll do the odd shock bolt, drop link nuts, TRE nuts etc. I’d kind of look at it up to 17mm realistically. It will do bigger stuff but it’ll be hit n miss depending on corrosion etc. Mine took 21mm transit wheel nuts off with ease the other day but that’s only because they’d been off relatively recently and torqued up (not gunned up like most nutters with a 1/2” gun) But then it won’t undo a 17mm wheel bolt which is over-tight and not been off for ages and prob corroded in.

The Battery is very impressive though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
No, it’s no good for subframe or hub nut bolts, you really want a full size 18v gun for that type of stuff. It’ll do the odd shock bolt, drop link nuts, TRE nuts etc. I’d kind of look at it up to 17mm realistically. It will do bigger stuff but it’ll be hit n miss depending on corrosion etc. Mine took 21mm transit wheel nuts off with ease the other day but that’s only because they’d been off relatively recently and torqued up (not gunned up like most nutters with a 1/2” gun) But then it won’t undo a 17mm wheel bolt which is over-tight and not been off for ages and prob corroded in.

The Battery is very impressive though.
Whys it no good?
I can remove front and rear hub nuts with the M12 stubby. I also used it to remove all 4 subframe bolts.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
It’s not really designed for that type of stuff. Guess if they’ve been off before or aren’t corroded then it’ll work but mine gets a lot of trials at work and subframe bolts and hub nuts are not when I’ll reach for my m12.

For someone specifically wanting it to do that stuff I wouldn’t say it’s the right tool.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It’s not really designed for that type of stuff. Guess if they’ve been off before or aren’t corroded then it’ll work but mine gets a lot of trials at work and subframe bolts and hub nuts are not when I’ll reach for my m12.

For someone specifically wanting it to do that stuff I wouldn’t say it’s the right tool.
The problem is access. You dont have a lot of it on 95% of things. If a hubnut is so corroded a m12 wont work I'd be going for the breaker and taking my time.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got one of the biggest M18 impacts and there is genuinely nothing it hasn't been able to undo yet. Tested it on my mate's Transit and embarrassed his DeWalt gun in the process 😂

Another one converted, he went home and started looking at Milwaukee gear hahaha

I've been looking at getting the stubby, might accidentally buy it when I get paid as well as a few batteries... and a rachet... and maybe a nice right angled impact gun... 😂

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah i would like an M18 hi torque but id expect the majority of the time it will just be used for bits and bobs . But there are always factory toqued bolts which have rusted which i just struggle with ! Subframe bolts being a pig especially on the clios

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
My gun will easily snap an M14 bolt if you give it the chance to, I barely take it out of setting #1 because even that will snap an M8 bolt after about 2 ugga duggas😂

Honestly that stubby with a 6aH battery will do most, if not all jobs on a clio. I've used @Louis' breiefly and its properly capable and doesn't weigh as much as the moon!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
My gun will easily snap an M14 bolt if you give it the chance to, I barely take it out of setting #1 because even that will snap an M8 bolt after about 2 ugga duggas😂

Honestly that stubby with a 6aH battery will do most, if not all jobs on a clio. I've used @Louis' breiefly and its properly capable and doesn't weigh as much as the moon!
Dont get me wrong if i was uaing it everyday for work i would certainly splash out on the M18 gear but hoping for most jobs the M12 will be enough.
You get 2 batteries with the kit , i expect i will just be using the 6.0 amp battery.

Is there anything else worthwhile getting ?

I am hoping to get back on track nextyear once the clio is built

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Dont get me wrong if i was uaing it everyday for work i would certainly splash out on the M18 gear but hoping for most jobs the M12 will be enough.
You get 2 batteries with the kit , i expect i will just be using the 6.0 amp battery.

The M12 3/8 ratchet and the M12 3/8 stubby are the 2 things I'd be getting for a weekend warrior

2 6aH batteries and a charger and most jobs can be tackled on any car

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

If you do get one, get some decent deep or semi deep impact sockets for it. The stubby nature seems like a good idea for space but because it’s flat at the front you’ve got no nose to poke it in tight places as the handle is virtually in line with the front of the impact so it’s actually less practical in use. Get deep sockets on to alleviate that a bit, otherwise it kills torque.

I still find my 3/8 snap on gun fits in more places despite the bigger size. You will find some places it’s great for, but honestly if I had the choice I’d sacrifice the stubby nature for a bit of a nose on it away from the handle.

The newer, rocker trigger snap on guns are the perfect footprint for a 3/8 gun but the chaps at work haven’t had much luck with their’s as far as reliability goes.

I do like it though, they’re a great little gun. Mine does look absolutely destroyed after a couple of months though! I do wonder how long the touch pad power setting bit will last though, but 3 year warranty FTW.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If your buying one impact gun, would buy the larger m18 gun as that will handle any of the heavy stuff you need to undo.

You can get them on all the suspension components no worries with the right length socket.

Do all the milwaukee gear come with 3 year warranty? My m12 die grinder is playing up after light use.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If your buying one impact gun, would buy the larger m18 gun as that will handle any of the heavy stuff you need to undo.

You can get them on all the suspension components no worries with the right length socket.

Do all the milwaukee gear come with 3 year warranty? My m12 die grinder is playing up after light use.

If you registered the tool it will have mate.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
I was thoroughly impressed with the Milwaukee M12 1/2 stubby.

Just recently broke my MINI. There were a few bolts it couldn’t quite manage, but they were 17 years old and never removed. So I prefer to do them if they are that tight with a break bar and take my time.

I’d recommend it for anyone that fancies a nice handy tool.

Also as a test I decided to just use the 2 AH battery. It lasted the whole car with battery to spare. Massively impressed with that!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Ive made the purchase

Attachments

• 20201022_085402.jpg
    20201022_085402.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I didnt realise there was a long reach version , agreed that does look better for abit more money ! My hands are ruined fron years of using sockets and they need a rest 😂

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Can’t believe I’ve only just found this thread [emoji23]

I have Milwaukee problems. (And now unilite thanks to PTM on Facebook haha)

Most recent purchase was the extended ratchet which has had its fair few uses so far. And the stubby 1/2 which I’m actually loving way more than I thought I would

38a844735d7d14729bbaedc6ae2e0887.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the M18 and M12 fast charger, sack that crappy charger off because you'll kick yourself if you ever get M18 stuff

Not bad prices them though!!

Too late!😬 I could cancel and change it but tbf I want to save the money haha, very high chance I wont be getting any m18 stuff, my makita impact cant be replaced

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Can’t believe I’ve only just found this thread [emoji23]

I have Milwaukee problems. (And now unilite thanks to PTM on Facebook haha)

Most recent purchase was the extended ratchet which has had its fair few uses so far. And the stubby 1/2 which I’m actually loving way more than I thought I would

View attachment 1502520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Step aside @dann2707 , there's a new sheriff in town.