ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MarkCup's Porsche Cayman

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted to wait until I'd watched all the videos first before replying...

1. The handbrake doesn't work very well if you don't have the clutch in ;) You're fighting the engine. But stock handbrakes are often not all that anyway, and a dab of brake helps them lock up. You pulled the handbrake a fraction after letting go of the brakes, doing it the other way around may have worked. But then you get into the issue of the engine being out of the powerband and bogging down, so you need to blip it..... You end up pressing all 3 pedals, lol.

2. It wouldn't be an autosolo without a plane landing over your head.

3. Tidy and clinical as ever. Great work. There's a couple of tight bits you could go a tad quicker on simply by rotating the car with a well timed and controlled clutch kick but otherwise great effort!

4. Please don't ask the marshals how 'that was' because it's quite hard to say 'well ya weren't the fastest' without being rude all day :p

The handbrake thing I realised as soon as I watched the footage back, clutch engaged, and barely moving so had no momentum to swing it round anyway 🤣 I'll try that again in a few weeks.

Watching it back now I could have been a lot quicker. My faster runs were the ones I spent mostly in second gear, the trouble is it never feels fast doing that, bit leaving it in gear forces smoother progress and momentum preservation. Again, learned for my next time out.

Noted about asking for ranking, totally pointless I know!

Bedford on Monday, then another of these in 3 weeks. I have objectives!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Most of the Bedford footage I got is trash audio wise, all the bits where I'm talking you can barely hear a word I'm saying.

Hooray!

Yep.

From the last two sessions I did get to have a brief play with a Yaris GR though, and then a 2006 997 911 C2 which is yet to be edited.

The Yaris wasn't even worth trying to stay with. The 911 was very much fair game.

McGherkin

ClioSport Club Member
yL9LlTK.gif

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Most of the Bedford footage I got is trash audio wise, all the bits where I'm talking you can barely hear a word I'm saying.

Hooray!

Yep.

From the last two sessions I did get to have a brief play with a Yaris GR though, and then a 2006 997 911 C2 which is yet to be edited.

The Yaris wasn't even worth trying to stay with. The 911 was very much fair game.

Imagine saying that 5 years ago.

‘the Yaris wasn’t even worth trying to stay with. The 911 was very much fair game’

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's the only other usable footage of any interest that I captured, last session of the day (although I thought I had enough fuel for two). This was fun, he dragged some extra pace out of me 😁

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And lastly, my best lap of the day. This came from my second session when I was still very much dialling into it. Not long after my brake pedal went to the floor so that was the end of hard/hot laps for the day.

I'm back at Bedford in August, I'll have Michelins instead of these Bridgestone RE050s, and some brake fluid that can handle more than 50 degrees. I think there's a sub 3 minute lap there for me.

What's a good time around Bedford GT? @Eddie555 ?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
And lastly, my best lap of the day. This came from my second session when I was still very much dialling into it. Not long after my brake pedal went to the floor so that was the end of hard/hot laps for the day.

I'm back at Bedford in August, I'll have Michelins instead of these Bridgestone RE050s, and some brake fluid that can handle more than 50 degrees. I think there's a sub 3 minute lap there for me.

What's a good time around Bedford GT? @Eddie555 ?

My pb Monday was 2:54. I suppose anything under 3 mins is good..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And it's new tyre time...the Bridgestone RE050As the car came with were manufactured in 2014, and after the Autosolo, Bedford trackday, and a total of 19k miles they now look like this...

PXL_20210506_055923722.jpg

I was doing 130mph on those a week ago :ROFLMAO:

Matching sets of anything decent are hard to come by, it seems the sizes are a little odd, 235/40/18 and 265/40/18, so I'm limited to another set of the Bridgestones, Michelin PS2 or Michelin PS4.

Much as I liked the PS4 on my M140i (despite the super squishy sidewalls), and even though the PS4s work out about £100 cheaper for the set of 4, I'm going to go with Michelin PS2s which are Porsche N4 rated.

Plan is for fitting next week, then I'll have a couple of days to get them scrubbed in before the Autosolo on 16th May.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
£660 for the full set and I'm going to have the brake fluid changed to ATE while they've got the wheels off.

Whatever Mortimer's put in it prior to me collecting the car lasted about 9 laps of Bedford before my middle pedal was touching the bulkhead.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good choice,porsche know what they're doing.

Research shows conflicting views. Some say it's just a marketing gimmick, others that Porsche work closely with the tyre manufacturer to finely tune the tyre's construction just so, to suit the mid engined nature of the car and how Porsche want the car to feel.

Regardless, Tuesday can't come soon enough. Like every time I get a new set of tyres all round I'm genuinely excited 🤣

Especially as with those cracking decrepit Bridgestones I've probably not yet felt how good the Cayman really is.

BG 182FF
Research shows conflicting views. Some say it's just a marketing gimmick,
Porsche approved tyres feature a reinforced radial structure along with more rigid sidewalls.
Especially as with those cracking decrepit Bridgestones
Yeah seen that alot, quite normal for any tyre of that age not a safety issue, just means they wont grip aswell as new as the compound will be harder.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...I've probably not yet felt how good the Cayman really is.

As planned, new tyres were fitted on Tuesday along plus a flush with some fresh ATE Typ200 fluid.

I've only done one commute so far, and Weds evening I managed 30 or so dry miles pounding some local roundabouts...but from my limited mileage, I can confirm the above, 100%.

It feels like an entirely different car 😁

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
GRRC Autosolo round 2 tomorrow 😁

I've ordered a few professional pictures from the last one...until they arrive, here's a couple of shamelessly screen grabbed copies of them from the photographer's website.

Pretty car!

View attachment 1538697View attachment 1538698
Nice shots of you parked in some roadworks.

Did the 'togger get any of you moving ?!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So today turned out to be a complete wash-out, horrendous showers then much drying sunshine then more showers and so on. No prizes for me, I picked up a wrong course, a cone, and grass penalties, and we only had 8 runs instead of the planned 12, but I'm loving the grip I now have from the fresh Michelins.

I spent most of the day either queueing or seeking cover from the rain so only a few pics...

PXL_20210516_061406146.jpg

PXL_20210516_084737604.MP.jpg

PXL_20210516_134052848.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Things I like; this lot turning up yesterday, the current weather, and f*** all else to do except take my time fitting fresh OEM spec pads, discs, and rear shoes 😁

Apart from the fact I think I may have done something bad to the handbrake in the Autosolo above, this should go smoothly. Fingers crossed there are no 13 year seized in place bolts.

PXL_20210529_092511496.jpg

PXL_20210529_101936287.jpg
PXL_20210529_102041980.jpg
PXL_20210529_102016431.jpg
PXL_20210529_101953525.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Slow progress, handbrake shoes done on one side only so far, mostly because drum brake shoe springs are c**ts 😡

I'm expecting to hear it go TWANG at any time and find all the components scattered across my drive 🤣

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The discs look in excellent condition, did you measure the thickness ?
Also nothing wrong with running the pads to 1.5mm.

I didn't measure them, there was a pronounced lip on the edge but they were certainly still usable.

The pads still had material left, 4-5mm on the rear and 2-3 on the fronts. Wear indicators at both ends had been triggered despite Porsche saying 2mm is the minimum.

With the car only having done a couple thousand miles each year at the most for the last 10 years everything was really quite old and the tyres it came on showing the perishing/cracking made me want to have all the consumables fresh for my next outing at Goodwood in July.

I've plugged new wear sensors in but left them cable tied out of harms way so they'll never bother me again, and if the base level Brembo pads I've fitted fail me at Goodwood (I expect they will), I'll get something different to drop in before Bedford in August.

What I've found having owned this for six months is that the parts supply is plentiful and surprisingly cheap! I guess that's because there's a ton of Boxsters out there already, and my car shares most of it's consumables with the 997 911 too.

The discs, pads, wear sensors, anti-vibration dampers, and handbrake shoes was a total of £535 delivered. A set of EBC Yellows all round is £200 and Blues are £220. That wouldn't even cover one axle on the M140i.

Next up is a refresh of various suspension joints and bushes. Two Autosolos and a trackday in the last 7 weeks has brought out a ton of knocks, squeaks and creaks from every corner. I'm taking it to a friend soon for him to stick it up on his lift, poke about, and give me a shopping list. Until then the ride will remain quite a noisy one!