ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MarkCup's Porsche Cayman

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm planning a follow up next weekend. Spoiler alert; corroded drop link studs are absolute total and utter b******s and the knocking noise I thought might be cured by replacing them is still very much present!

Sorry to hear that mate. Perhaps it is time to sell-up and move on? :unsure: (Don't you dare!)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I never got around to making that drop-link follow-up...that will happen eventually. I ended up spending far too much time, out in the sunshine last week, giving the car a thorough clean like never before, in advance of Goodwood on Friday.

As for Goodwood, great day, but could have been so much better!

OEQ (original equipment quality brakes (discs and pads) were bought from Design 911 and fitted at the end of May. This OEQ package was made by Brembo, so they should be as good as standard Porsche pads and while maybe not the best, they should be able to handle a day on track, right?

Nope! I experienced brake failure like I've never had before...

It wasn't the lines or fluid, lines were good, fluid was ATE Typ200 and that was completely flushed through barely a month previous. Besides, they failed on only my 2nd lap of the day, so no time to get anything really hot.

Initial thoughts were that the pad material itself was compressing giving me the long pedal...but when I limped back to the paddock after the end of the first session, all became clear.

Pads were measured at over 10mm the night before...

This is how the car looked before the first session, nice, shiny, clean front wheels
01 PXL_20210716_070332083.jpg

And after that first gentle session
02 PXL_20210716_083814355.jpg

Front wheels absolutely covered in pad material
03 PXL_20210716_083121331.jpg

With the pads measuring 6mm having lost 4mm in that one gentle session alone
04 PXL_20210716_083133139.jpg

After that I had an exploratory session, working hard on entry, through, and exit, but just lifting and coasting mainly on the approach, yet I still took another 1mm off.

I only did 3 more sessions just like that, trying my utmost to not touch the brake pedal, figuring I'd then have 2mm or so at the end of the day, enough to get me home without trashing the discs. It turns out my estimates were bang on, this is what I had once I got home...

Black front wheel with a lot of pad material on it
05 PXL_20210719_192531248.jpg

Disc holes completely choked up
06 PXL_20210719_192545252.jpg

And a sliver of pad material left
07 PXL_20210719_192613707.jpg

The rears were fine though
09 PXL_20210719_192927383.jpg

No more than 1mm gone from the back
10 PXL_20210719_192824929.jpg

And this is what the front wheels were covered in, soft dust, just like chalk. If the pads were made of actual chalk they'd probably have lasted longer!

I've had a rant at Design 911, they were very receptive after I sent them all of the above...and turns out the chap I was speaking to knows a couple of the McLaren drivers there on the day, hopefully the one in the MP4-12C on that first session who came to me in the paddock afterwards to say he thought I kept locking up, before realising it wasn't tyre smoke coming from my front axle but clouds of pad material billowing out :ROFLMAO:

They're going to investigate, and may go back to Brembo, as having reviewed what I sent them they've agreed that's not at all what OEQ pads should be doing!

In the meantime I have a set of EBC Bluestuff NDX arriving tomorrow for all four corners. I'm at Bedford on 9th August, no more f***ing about, I want to be able to brake, HARD!!!

Attachments

• 13 PXL_20210719_193018281.jpg
    13 PXL_20210719_193018281.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Brembo OE pads are utter dog s**t Mark, as you say you can feel the pad compressing. They're made of cheese!

Bluestuff will be a massive improvement, I'd say coefficient similar to DS2500 and Mintex M1155, but with better modulation and are very consistent in performance. They actually work from cold too.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Brembo OE pads are utter dog s**t Mark, as you say you can feel the pad compressing. They're made of cheese!

Bluestuff will be a massive improvement, I'd say coefficient similar to DS2500 and Mintex M1155, but with better modulation and are very consistent in performance. They actually work from cold too.

At £229 for a full set of the Blues, delivered, I'm hoping to have found a true happy place 😁

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve never heard much good about ebc but I put bluestuff on my mate’s 996 for him and they seemed fine at brands.

He got them for his 182 (after I told him not to) and they were pretty much on fire after first session and once they’d stopped smoking the pad material edge resembled fag ash (much to my amusement)

icek

ClioSport Club Member
  4GTS/7.5R/182
That is shocking performance from those pads!

Are the OEM pads too expensive or not very good on the Cayman? I have given mine some pretty heavy braking and it's never done anything like that, in fact both discs and pads lasted nearly as long as 3 sets of tyres (YMMV and all that).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that the drilled discs accelerate pads wear as well ?

Maybe, but there's something wrong if after 30 laps of Goodwood without braking you're on the backing plates with the friction material coating your wheels and entire sides of your car!

Running the Blues at Bedford should help me recalibrate braking and brake wear...it's been a very long time (Focus RS in July 18) since I've had a car I can brake hard in for lap after lap. I know brake performance and feel, much like tyres, is very subjective but from the couple of Cayman owners I know that run them they seem to perform well enough.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That is shocking performance from those pads!

Are the OEM pads too expensive or not very good on the Cayman? I have given mine some pretty heavy braking and it's never done anything like that, in fact both discs and pads lasted nearly as long as 3 sets of tyres (YMMV and all that).

EBC Orange £278
Genuine Porsche £276
EBC Blue £229
EBC Yellow £197
OEQ Brembo £146

That's why I thought I'd try some Brembo pads that are marketed as being as good as the ones from Porsche.

If the Blues give up, I might try Orange next.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
f**k! Hopefully just a dodgy batch as obviously that’s nowhere near what you’d expect, even with some of the really cheaper pads you don’t expect them to be that bad

I’ve got a set of the Brembo OEQ pads to fit on mine. I Still need to find the discs too, seems Porsche are the only option though

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Flippin' eck Mark, I've never seen pads 'fail' like that on a Cayman. That is crazy. Surely there is some manufacturing defect going on there?! Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Blues perform in comparison. Enjoying the videos mate. (y)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I had Brembo pads on the Evo when I bought it and I wasn't confident with them on the road let alone the heat you're putting through them in the video lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent peddling Mark, you look super smooth!

It's the first time I've had front and rear footage stabilised, so it flatters me, it looks far smoother than it is/I am.

I had Brembo pads on the Evo when I bought it and I wasn't confident with them on the road let alone the heat you're putting through them in the video lol

Honestly I wasn't putting a great deal through them. My Focus RS and BMW M140i both happily handled Goodwood on standard pads and I was putting much more energy through them over many more sessions. At best they wore half a pad in one day.

These Brembos wore through half a pad in one gentle session!

And he looks good driving

Dreamboat

*giggles 🤭

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Brake update, these bad boys are in
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

They've had 50 miles of gentle road driving so far and I should have 500 miles or so done by the time I roll up at Bedford. I intend to put them through the EBC prescribed track bed-in during the first session. With that done, and with a recent flush with ATE Typ200 I should finally have the middle pedal I've been missing. Can't wait!

As for what came out, remember that these new pads were fitted at the exact same time to both axles, and had done only 1000 miles road use beforehand...

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

The rears wore about as much as I'd expect, the fronts just rubbed away. Hardly OEM quality!