ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MarkCup's Porsche Cayman

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Most girlfriends' fathers: You treat her bad and I'll kick your head in

MarkCup: You treat her bad and I'll scare* the s**t out of you around Goodwood. */bore :p

The 620R is a proper beast of a car so no surprise there. Clean and tidy lapping as ever from yourself though. He might be faster, but you put together better laps ;)

Definitely bore ha ha. After I cut the video at the end I explained to him how the 620R's brake lights being on all the way around to the second turn-in point at Woodcote meant he was trail braking and what the meant for the driver when balancing the tyre's grip between braking and turning 😆

Oddly, he's still very keen to come out again...although I think that's most likely because he wants to see what it's like being in a car on track that actually has brakes.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Result! Design 911 have agreed to credit me in full for the dodgy pads. Unsurprisingly, Brembo said "they're not a track pad, what do you expect?", but Design 911 accept that the differing wear rates is not true OEQ standard.

The EBC Blues are feeling better with each passing mile and I'm about to head off on a 3-day trip first staying with my BFF tonight, then off to a pokey Travelodge in Bedford with 5 others tomorrow night, before we all descend on the Autodrome on Monday.

Cars in our group in no particular order;

Porsche Cayman
BMW 330i Estate
BMW 140i
BMW M5
BMW M4
Audi TT S
Renault R26
Plus I think there may be another 140 or two, and possibly an M2 as well.

We're all at the Travelodge on Monday night too, so an evening of food, beer, and medals beckons. I can't wait. Weather's looking dry with showers coming in from 3pm...that'll make it a fun end to the day 😁

We've been trying to coordinate this since April last year, it's going to be a good 'weekend'. That's if my brakes hold up of course :ROFLMAO:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When it comes to power, I'm the clear underdog tomorrow!
PXL_20210808_170605976.jpg

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Just don't get it, when not just call it a 320t or something, it's bizarre, like mine, why call it a 135, why not just stick with 130, or make it a 3.5ltr... :ROFLMAO:
Ye I don't get the badging much anymore. The bigger the number the faster it is though🤣

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What engines in the new 3 series?

Think it'll be you and the guy in the Meg that will have the most fun regardless of power.

2 litre inline 4, 258bhp, loads of torque, and a ZF8 (or something similar). It's also got a factory fit M Performance LSD. A good match for my Cayman 😁 (video will follow...)

They day itself started out damp, then we had downpours mid morning, and after lunch a fully dry track for the rest of the day.

For me, the day was all about the brakes, and I'm happy to say that the Blues did not disappoint. They took some work to bring in to play, I had a grumbly lumpy pedal until I worked them properly when it was dry in the afternoon.

PXL_20210809_065751580.jpg

PXL_20210809_065837629.jpg

PXL_20210809_070231845.jpg

PXL_20210809_153817078.jpg

PXL_20210809_093339416.jpg

PXL_20210809_144541753.jpg

The EBC Bluestuff NDX pads were good! No fade, but a real clear sense that the pad material gets squishy when hot. The car would always slow on demand, but the pedal would go very slightly and softly long on rare occasions.

Nothing at all concerning, but it took a while to get to the point where there was full trust between us.

After that, f*** yeah.

I've always known of trail braking, I've tried to bring it in on track, I've done it a little bit here and there but I'm always wary of getting the balance wrong and the car swapping ends.

In this thing though, without even thinking "right, let's try trail braking into here", watching the video back I've seen that in the afternoon on several corners, with more confidence I'm braking almost right up to the apex and taking a downshift while on the way in as well.

On track everything this car does just feels right. The clear feel of each corner that comes through along with the mid-engine balance, it's fantastic.

I won't say perfect, because it has too much grip really. I'm keeping an eye open for a cheap set of standard 17 inch rims, the tyres are 205/235 front and back whereas on the option S wheels I have they're 235/265. I think on the slimmer wheels on track, while slower, it will be even better to drive.

Brake wear? Barely any, just slightly fried edges, and nice even 'coloured' wheels.
PXL_20210809_153855997.jpg

PXL_20210809_153924229.jpg

PXL_20210809_165226477.jpg

Then last night I was greeted by this

PXL_20210813_163800313.jpg

No PS2s available anywhere, not a tyre fitter within reasonable distance that has anything at all in this size in stock, but I found someone who said he'd do an off the books 'emergency' repair for me if it leaked when he took it out.

It didn't. Phew. These rears won't see the track or competition again because of that though.

McGherkin

ClioSport Club Member
Great news on the brakes. For the price they're perfect IMO, and once again the internet is wrong. I think people get to the point that they go a bit soft and then assume that's them totally faded, but if they used a bit more pedal pressure the car would stop fine.

Have you thought about running a more 'normal' tyre on track a la the GT86 where they run Prius style tyres?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Great news on the brakes. For the price they're perfect IMO, and once again the internet is wrong. I think people get to the point that they go a bit soft and then assume that's them totally faded, but if they used a bit more pedal pressure the car would stop fine.

Have you thought about running a more 'normal' tyre on track a la the GT86 where they run Prius style tyres?

This is it. It felt a bit strange getting on them hard when they're like that, but they were always there and hauled it up quite nicely! The pedal feel in this thing is immense.

Love it Mark!

Best car you've owned so far?

Best for?
Carrying the family? Not likely.
Runs to the tip? Not quite.
Residual value? Not yet.
Running costs? Not looking good.
Pure driving enjoyment? Yes, by a long way 😁

And that's not really surprising considering that's exactly what it's built to do. And it does it, it does it so well.

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
This is it. It felt a bit strange getting on them hard when they're like that, but they were always there and hauled it up quite nicely! The pedal feel in this thing is immense.

Best for?
Carrying the family? Not likely.
Runs to the tip? Not quite.
Residual value? Not yet.
Running costs? Not looking good.
Pure driving enjoyment? Yes, by a long way 😁

And that's not really surprising considering that's exactly what it's built to do. And it does it, it does it so well.

Oh ye I mean practicality it's probably terrible but as in best car you've owned to 'drive'.

It's got to be.
Keep enjoying it and I look forward to what you decide to go for next after scratching the porsche itch

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
MOT day today, and despite a plethora of knocks, creaks, and squeaks, it passed with advisories for minor external corrosion on both front dampers. Apart from that the tester said it presented as a good solid car. I'm giving up on chasing the noises, so long as it feels and handles the way that it does, and the tyres wear evenly, it's all good 😁

Couple of updates video wise as I work through my Bedford footage;

My first session out trying the Bluestuff pads properly for the first time, it was wet so didn't get to work them nearly hard enough and ended up with some noticeable vibration when braking. This did resolve itself completely later in the day once I'd really gotten on to them in anger. What I take from that is that my bedding-in session wasn't nearly hard enough to put an even transfer layer onto the discs.

Next is me playing with Lewis in his 330i Touring. He's a Critical Care Paramedic so spends his days pedalling a Skoda Estate diesel flat out with blue lights blazin', and can lose me at will whenever we drive on the road, but he lacks a little confidence on track. His car gapped me easily in a straight line, but its mass, and mis-matched run-flat tyres meant he had no chance really against my wheezing Cayman :ROFLMAO:

I should have the wet session against the F10 M5 edited by the end of the week, that was a really good session (y)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You need this guy in your car for all your videos :LOL:

Brilliant.

I'm hoping to drag him along to Donnington next year. Daily drives an M2 yet he's like that no matter what car he passengers in :ROFLMAO:

Good viewing Mark, track battles are always more interesting to watch.

I've rediscovered my love of true open pitlane days, the ability to go out in pairs and play. Sadly that's not an option at Goodwood because of the sessions, the staggered release of cars, and their frowning at anything that sees cars getting too close to one another.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! Seems like you've found the difference a MR layout gives over all others. Balance and handling.

I've had a taste of it on the road, and on the previous trackdays when I had no brakes, but until I could really, properly push it, I never really got it. I do now.

I'm still amazed at how ballsy I was braking late and trailing them in right up to the apex, yet I gave it no thought, it just sort of happened...because I feel what's happening and it all feels so right.

I can't wait to get back to Goodwood, I think that alone has given me a second, maybe a second and a half. My M140i lap time may well be beatable!

Glad you're enjoying the Cayman Mark; seems you are bonding with it quite nicely! :) Lovely things to drive.

Bonding? I'm truly bonded, wed even :ROFLMAO: Honeymoon is now over and I now have a ton of suspension items to refresh as it's still knocking, creaking, and squeaking from every corner. Went back to the dealer I bought it from a week ago, they're going to have it soon to give it some fresh oil, check out the creaks etc., and also what I think might be a cracked manifold...

Basically it's been sat idle for almost 10 years and I've come along and laid into it 😳

Did you find out why he got a black flag? Im no expert in track rules by any stretch but he looked fine by me?

It was the Clio undertake. The marshalls accepted Richard's defence, that the Clio could/should have lifted and allowed us through and that he clearly gave us both space...but they felt they had to pull Richard in because it was a clear pass on a corner. We'll get a repeat chance on track together when we all head to Donnington at some point in the spring.