ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MINI Cooper S R53 (bills old car)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
As you may have seen I have bought @bill 's Mini after looking at a couple of others decided that although I didn't want a fully modified car this was too good to let go so a deal was done and I picked it up last thursday.
It needed the brakes looking at as bill had said so first job , well second actually was to jack it up and see what was wrong. I hoped it would be shagged pads causing the grinding and feed back through the pedal alas it was Ok on passenger side but a seized pad caused by a bit of corrosion under one of the shims on the drivers side means a shagged rotor.
Now these don't come cheap with it looking like £360 plus pads from K sport however I have noticed they do single one off discs fro approx £150 so may be able to get away with one.
See images.

Attachments

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
What plans do I have for it ? well I don't like some of the asthetic mods so I've already ordered a new boot badge, standard bonnet scoop (as I intend to sprint it, it needs to be the same as standard in silhouette so it will have to go anyway) and some dark silver paint.
Also plan on fitting standard rear lights as I want to keep it as stealthy as much as possible.
I also will refit the standard ball gear stick know as I prefer a big round knob in my hand to the longer shaped JCW one that was fitted ?

Now to the suspension ! it looks ace on the lowering springs but the amount of speed bumps round where I live means a detour all the time looking to avoid them so I think I will fit standard springs back on for now and do some research into coilovers as I think the cheapo stuff around the £5-600 mark are just for 'the lows innit'
Also I've no idea on spring rates as track spec coilovers are too stiff for sprints and hillclimbs.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice on coilovers etc or can point me in the direction of a good place to look as I believe mini torque is to be avaoided if possible ?

I also think I will fit R56 brakes as @George@RTR_Parts has been great in the past on price ? who is looking at these for me as the KSports are over the top for my use and also restrict me to 17" wheels as I think it will go on 16" eventually.

Cant think of any other changes yet but I am sure I will after some more research

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Seems a great buy. I looked then remembered i don't like minis lol.

Will follow with interest :)

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
New boot badge? What was up with the one that was on? You’ll have no problem selling on any parts you remove, if you look at my for sale thread on s**t-torque, I’m sure someone offered to buy the jcw gear nob, might be worth contacting him, scoop will sell in about 3 seconds, as will most parts ?

Meister coilovers are well regarded on mini’s

Has your mrs driven it yet?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Not much has happened on this due to personal issues but had a spare hour or two this afternoon so I thought I’d change the rear brakes that @George@RTR_Parts supplied.
All stripped down easily enough and sure enough the discs and pads were well shagged. This is when the fun started, buy an old MINI they said they are great cars! well until you try and removed seized on parts :mad: 1st the cap head that holds the disc on needed some persuasion with a centre punch and hammer followed by my new Dewalt impact gun. I had read that the pistons need winding back and bought a universal rewind kit but could not get it to either match the holes or get the plate low enough to line it up to even have half a chance so gave up and fitted the old pads for now ( it’s not being used so not a problem)
Thought I’d have a go at fitting some standard springs but but f**k me the bottom bolt was solid grrrrr !!! So some hard graft and swearing eventually saw it removed ? then took about 15 minutes a side.
Lowered it back down and it looks like it’s on stilts ?
Hopefully I’ll get some more free time and good weather and get the front springs and brakes fitted this week.
I’ve also ordered the correct rear brake tool.
66367BA1-68D4-4099-9A9F-A9283CADA4C1.jpeg
0C16955A-7899-460B-A3A9-4B3A04B46FEC.jpeg
907CEC22-A7E7-482F-B49B-A04BF36395A4.jpeg
56ED6D6C-DB8D-479B-A92C-FB2EA765555D.jpeg
067D22B1-7414-4105-9C85-021D0D26A7CD.jpeg

Thread should be called 'Un-modifying Bill's old R53'?

Had to do a rear wheel bearing on my Mrs' R56 the other day. It took me all of 15 minutes, what a f**king dream to work on! Especially with the T50 disc retaining screw, not a shitty T30 one like other bellends like to use

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Managed a bit more work this week, fitted standard springs and rear pads , removed the Atomspeed scoop and put the standard front plate back on.
I had ordered a universal brake rewind kit but none of the holes lined up,could have modified it slightly but the plate wouldn't fit either so bought this from eBay LASER 3940 Brake Caliper Rewind Tool - BMW Mini and it was a piece of piss, the pad wear indicator thingy was cable tied up but was loose so fitted the ones George had supplied, job done.
IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG

I had read that the front strut pinch bolts were prone to snapping so thought i may be able to change the springs by just dropping the strut down but no chance so I tried the bolt and who ever had it apart had put loads of copperslip on and they came out very easily phew ! probably took 30 mins per side. This is all good for when I get round to fitting coilovers.

Ive not done the front callipers (R56) yet as I think I will paint them red and as they are new will be easy off the car so if you have used any caliber paint which is best to use ?

I have probably used the car 3 times including driving it home and I used it earlier and the bloody airbag light has come on , did you have any problems with it @bill ?

Also does any of the OBD11 readers work on Mini's ? if so whats everyone using ? ta

Also it desperately needs some decent speakers and maybe a small sub, the under seat type but no idea where to look or what to buy as I have never bothered with car hifi stuff lol

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
never had any issues with the airbag light in afraid, are they not usually something to so with the wiring under the seats?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Dunno bill Ill have a look on mini torque, not noticed it when Ive moved it around on the drive and not moved seats etc cheers

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
im only going off clio's tbh, i thought they often put the airbag light on and it was due to the wiring under the seat, so figured it may be similar with most cars?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Managed a bit more progress today in between showers :rolleyes:

Removed the old KSports to dry fit the new R56 brakes, all was ok so I fitted them but I thought the existing Hel lines would fit but they bottomed out before getting tight so I had to order some new ones from Lohen which won't be here until monday d'oh.
821DAC0F-AE84-4644-856D-C0F4CFE09524.jpeg

The Ksport bells and rotas were heavier than the R56 discs

8A0DCAB5-44CC-4A7C-BB42-5B15D599DE5E.jpeg

Also the calipers and mounts seemed a fair bit heavier so I will weigh them to see how much weight difference there is.
As you can se the pads have a lot more surface area.
8D0F0619-4E83-4A32-9E44-DA8BEFF49F07.jpeg

Tiny new brakes lol

82F4A08F-46D5-474F-BC8B-BE9A08C3A06B.jpeg

Last edited:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
The next job to tackle will be the swimming pool located in the boot !
ACC22D20-ACCD-4FDF-983D-935376CE6F18.jpeg

I don’t know how this hasn’t caused any problems as you can see how high it’s been by the rusty water line , obviously the recent weather has not helped ☔ ?
I have removed some of the panel to see if I can see where it’s coming in. I thought it was from the boot seal but there was no signs of it getting passed the seal once I’d taken the panels off.
ACC22D20-ACCD-4FDF-983D-935376CE6F18.jpeg
46BB6271-9E49-48D0-BC60-B82E3A5DE6C1.jpeg
F3775C99-0827-4DB3-9A22-9C5270BEE726.jpeg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It’s usually the rear panel vents mate that piss the water in. They’re behind the bumper and allow air out when you shut the door. Water runs down the rear panel and pisses in through those.

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
is the boot carpet wet? to my knowledge it never has been, my mrs used the boot weekly to put her work stuff in and never mentioned a wet boot.

saying that, doesn't mean anything tbh.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
is the boot carpet wet? to my knowledge it never has been, my mrs used the boot weekly to put her work stuff in and never mentioned a wet boot.

saying that, doesn't mean anything tbh.

No mate , I was looking to see if there was a tool kit in the battery tray and saw how wet it was, now come to think of it I had a twiddle with the wiring block and the airbag light came on not long after :unsure: I’ve got some solvent cleaner to try so maybe coincidence.

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
I’ve just asked the mrs if the boot/carpet was ever wet, “ i never noticed it “ pretty sure she would have done really, as it was her work laptop, that was always in the boot, air bag lights still on then I presume

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Yes I have unplugged the under seat plugs but it’s still on but I’ve bought a reader to see if it just needs resetting.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
Well another weeks gone by with the mini on axel stands as I tried to fit the R56 brakes on in between everything else I’ve got going on but after a bit of a set back it’s all done :)
I fitted them last week but thought the HEL brake lines already on were wrong because they bottomed out in the caliper before the copper washer was anywhere near the flat surface so I thought they were wrong and ordered a new set from Lohen but they didn’t arrive until monday but were the same as the ones already on ? Turns out that they don’t use the copper washer and seal in the caliper housing. Then why supply them with one ffs.
53B4E217-7E79-4DB8-9162-811ED1E9FE35.jpeg

Also bought a reset tool for the airbag light but the codes were not the same as in the guide so after a couple of goes it reset !

One last job was to sort out the water in the boot which looks like it was coming from the boot seal as I tightened the boot lock and seems ok now. I am sure were are due some rain so it will soon test it.
Hi
5131C04E-7049-48F5-8794-2803D7D2F0C6.jpeg
5131C04E-7049-48F5-8794-2803D7D2F0C6.jpeg

Now time to bed the brakes in and think about what suspension to get ? I may go new swift springs and genuine dampers with a rear anti roll bar and some fixed - 1.5 degree camber plates or go coilovers with spherical bearing top mounts etc but this will give me problems when sprinting as I am not allowed spherical bearings in the class I want to run in.
That’s it for now, time to go.
9828A4CA-56D1-448F-BD7C-0A1D3AEDCF9D.jpeg

Attachments

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
coilovers with spherical bearing top mounts etc but this will give me problems when sprinting as I am not allowed spherical bearings in the class I want to run in.
Bit of a pain about the bearings!!

Budget dependment of course, but id probably go with Bilstein B14 or STA XTA (basically KW V2's) if you want adjustability, both with brand new OEM top mounts. Ohlins Road & Track were incredible on my R56. But they are not cheap lol.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53
@Sir_Dave I keep looking at Ohlins and think I must try them on a car at some point as I ordered them but cancelled at last minute for my GT86. Think they may be wasted without camber on the front so they get way over £2k by the time they’ve been set up. But never say never.
It will never win its class so may just go with something like the St’s and run it in whatever class it fits. It will still spank you @johnny

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
So sorry to hear the news mate, can’t imagine what your going through.

feel free to send anyone my way if they want anything confirming with the car.