ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini R55 Clubman

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So i didnt last long not having something to tinker with ...

Decided that i wanted buy something for the business to get signwritten, go to shows/meets etc (once we get out of lockdown) and generally just trundle about in advertising my financial awesomeness :cool:. Initial thought was a Mini Clubvan, but even when you factor in the tax savings for buying it through the business etc, it still seemed daft to spend £8k on one when a normal Clubman was half the price!! So i started looking at Cooper S'. Having had an N14 before, i didnt really want to have to buy someone elses sh1tbox and do the camchain straight away, so was concentrating my efforts on the N18. Got messed about a few times by sellers after i offered them what they wanted price wise to then decide they didnt want to sell it after all ... i mean WTF?! Did ponder a Cooper SD, but well, you know, its an N47, yes, they are far better on the later cars, but i still didnt fancy it.

So in the end, after looking for a couple of months bidding on various things on ebay, just missing out to people with zero feedback etc, i bought this ...

51042043518_be1c1f7720_c.jpg

51042773786_4f82237791_c.jpg

51042774496_14a9e86dcd_c.jpg

A Cooper D Hampton :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Now there is method in my madness ... its a 1 owner car, full MIni SH (TLC since new), recent new discs/pads/calipers all round, plus and this is the biggie, a new camchain/clutch/flywheel at a cost of 3 THOUSAND POUNDS less than 12 months ago. 97k miles and only 3 months MOT, but meh. The lady selling it had priced it at just over trade as "the wheels are bad". On that basis, i bought it unseen, paid a deposit and went to collect it last week. Taxed it upon collection. £20 for the year lol, then it did 58mpg cruising at 80 all the way home 120 miles. This will nicely offset the £28 a month and 27mpg the X5 does.

Interior is really nice, later LCI car as well so all black plastics and grey dials:
51042043978_1934c2a2ae_c.jpg

51042773516_dac752a0b8_c.jpg

A picture of the "terrible" wheels. Its just the diamond cut bit gone a bit naff. Brand new Landsails prior to sale as well ...
51042869847_6a3af38376_c.jpg

First job will be to remove/change all this sh1t :sick:
51042868767_b799663e53_c.jpg

51042868642_55a4e3b797_c.jpg

51042043753_7d5c07b5f5_c.jpg

51042043818_318e22c045_c.jpg

Oh and get rid of the bonnet stripes. Do not want.

alistairolsen

ClioSport Club Member
So you wanted a petrol, but bought a diesel because the history was good and all the expensive failure points have been taken care of, but now intend to rip the engine out and convert it to petrol..

I thought I applied odd logic to car purchases :ROFLMAO:

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
So you wanted a petrol, but bought a diesel because the history was good and all the expensive failure points have been taken care of, but now intend to rip the engine out and convert it to petrol..

I assumed he meant buy a petrol and swap over any mods he does to this one? I hope, otherwise it’s madness

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I like that, especially the colour and the interior. Why remove all the special edition bits?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Wow, I'm seriously considering a clubman then come on here and see this 😂

My uncle had a Hampton Cooper D, it was a great car. The interior is lovely, although he had the screen which I'd say is worth retrofitting if you can? I drove it down to Gatwick a couple of times, loved the seats!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. My MIL bought a new one in orange. It’s brilliant.

we done some work recently on a Bond Street one. Guy loves it, had it since new, we matched some of the gold/bronze trims.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ha! Yours is considerably better than mine lol. But then, it was more than twice as much :ROFLMAO:
Landsail is possibly the worst name for a tyre brand ever.

Car looks ok though!
I had Wanli's on the rear of my Z3M, with Michelins on the front. That was erm. Interesting.
Think @Panda. had "Goodluck" tyres on his Lupo at one point :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

No no no, i'm not THAT daft. I'll get this one up to a nice spec, then when i am less skint, buy an N18 Cooper S and swop the s3xy bits over (y)
I like that, especially the colour and the interior. Why remove all the special edition bits?
Partly as i think they'll all a bit naff, like Union Jack wing mirrors, but also because i worked in Hampton for over 10 years at my previous company and dont want reminding of that everytime i get in the car ... 🤦‍♂️
should have bought my old one

;)
Crikey, that price is almost as daft as James Paul wanting £18k for my old 335i touring!!
Did miss out on a black N14 fJCW Clubbie by literally seconds. Was on AT at £6,750, now some driveway Mini trader is trying to get £10k for it (was £13k lol).
They are as rare as rocking horse poop so do command a massive premium i must admit!
Wow, I'm seriously considering a clubman then come on here and see this 😂

My uncle had a Hampton Cooper D, it was a great car. The interior is lovely, although he had the screen which I'd say is worth retrofitting if you can? I drove it down to Gatwick a couple of times, loved the seats!
Thanks!! CIC isnt too hard a retrofit i dont think, certainly not as bad as the dashboard swop you need to do on the e9* anyways lol.
Might consider it at some point, or get one of those chinese carplay screens (like so: http://www.carnaviplayer.com/mini-cooper-2006-2014-navigation-head-unit-p-1148) - they do always seem a tad sh1t though if im entirely honest.

Might as well start a list of things to be done:
  • Sport Button retrofit (heavier steering/better throttle response) - have the cable (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-R56-sport-button-retrofit-cable/174622237958), now just need the button. Relatively easy hardware retrofit, then a bit of VO modification with NCSExpert.
  • Purchase luggage cover - seller had misplaced it. Shame as the proper retractable LCI's ones are £££££'s!! Dont really want to pikey it with an earlier folding one either.
  • Get some kind of phone mount - iPhone 11 is too big for the cup holder than my iPhone 8 used to sit in.
  • JCW Alcantara Steering wheel - dont really need one, but might have acquired one on ebay last night.
  • Remove Hampton stuff
  • Acquire JCW bodykit and maybe wheels
  • Purchase Brembo/Budweg JCW front brakes (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCW-BREM...PADS-FRONT-KIT-FITS-MINI-JCW001A/262692153600)
  • Find some money to buy black Oz Leggenda's
  • Remap to 140bhp/245lb ft by Celtic Tuning. May fit Airtec intercooler in advance.
  • Retrofit CIC or Chinese Android Carplay thingymabob
  • Buy coilovers.
  • Get it signwritten

Matthew

ClioSport Club Member
Mini friends 😂. They are great cars, people who haven’t driven one don’t get them I find. The feel and steering is like nothing else I’ve driven. They feel heavy and solid but are super nimble.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Would like one. Can't get over the fact that kids have to get out on the road....

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I have a phone mount (cravenspeed which has a clip or magnet option), unused JCW front mats, unused mini “sport aerial” (both still in their packaging), boot liner (hatch bag) l, mini roof rack (car must have roof rails) and a coin pot from my R55 that I could sell if you’re interested?
0583D583-71C4-4C20-9CF7-7E972D95DA2D.jpeg
6DE0F011-0F64-4D03-8164-0816E47658F1.jpeg
2CBCB3CA-FA2E-46F3-934E-D91FC926ADE3.jpeg
8276203A-D941-4790-8E7B-A59D9051CEF5.jpeg
93080F5D-3261-4297-888A-048587A67374.jpeg

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Ha! Yours is considerably better than mine lol. But then, it was more than twice as much :ROFLMAO:

I had Wanli's on the rear of my Z3M, with Michelins on the front. That was erm. Interesting.
Think @Panda. had "Goodluck" tyres on his Lupo at one point :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Nowt like a set of 90% plastic Goodlucks on the front and some Brilliants on the rear for making Houx roundabout tyre squeals 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have a phone mount (cravenspeed which has a clip or magnet option), unused JCW front mats, unused mini “sport aerial” (both still in their packaging), boot liner (hatch bag) l, mini roof rack (car must have roof rails) and a coin pot from my R55 that I could sell if you’re interested?

Damn, your Clubbie was lovely!!
Thanks for the offers, although i think i'm going to get a CD slot phone mount, prefer to have the phone less in my field of vision if that makes sense.
Just bought a sodding sport aerial off cotswolds though, typical :rolleyes: Dont suppose you have a retractable load cover lying around do you? There is one on ebay, but the chap is listing it at £140 having bought it on Wednesday for £67. Hasnt even been delivered yet, so using the previous sellers photos :ROFLMAO:😂

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Damn, your Clubbie was lovely!!
Thanks for the offers, although i think i'm going to get a CD slot phone mount, prefer to have the phone less in my field of vision if that makes sense.
Just bought a sodding sport aerial off cotswolds though, typical :rolleyes: Dont suppose you have a retractable load cover lying around do you? There is one on ebay, but the chap is listing it at £140 having bought it on Wednesday for £67. Hasnt even been delivered yet, so using the previous sellers photos :ROFLMAO:😂
Thanks. It was a lovely spec. Unfortunately adult decisions had to be made and a house extension took priority. Got a decent price for it though.
Afraid I don’t have a load cover. I actually had to buy one for my car but got the simple fixed/flappy version as it was keenly priced. It worked fine actually. The retractable ones are not very common.

Steve_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
How many special editions of these did they do? Never heard of a Hampton edition before!
What's that to the right of it too, Audi?

Regarding the brake upgrade, Brembo callipers from certain Renaults along with GP2 discs is a popular upgrade for R53 owners over original JCW four pots. A member on the R53 owners club facebook regularly makes the adapter brackets, or a complete kit is £6-700 used. Am looking forward to seeing this progress - your wheel choice will be particularly great!
161688581_10158120406473652_5144395031648116260_o.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
How many special editions of these did they do? Never heard of a Hampton edition before!
What's that to the right of it too, Audi?
Loads lol.
Hampton has the lounge leather which is quite rare i think.
Then as @Gally posted, there was the Bond Street which appears to be the same, just different colours 🤷‍♂️

Couple of things added this week.
JCW steering wheel bought off ebay. Arrived and it was hella grim :sick:
51061515973_31ed05d32e_c.jpg

First go with an anti-bac wipe and nail brush:
51062316007_2b759ced5c_c.jpg

Finished off with a microfibre, some water and fairy non-bio ...
51062232196_3bc48972a4_c.jpg

Before:
51061516898_b2367e7f9e_c.jpg

After:
51061516838_58b2daa9ef_c.jpg

51062232236_812fc87cd9_c.jpg

51062316177_13d87af633_c.jpg

Feels sooooo much nicer to hold than the other one!!!

Also, aerial was knackered, so i had no DAB reception.
51061516918_0fb8528ae8_c.jpg

51062232191_f4a7bd5485_c.jpg

Now looks better and more importantly, actually works!!

Good work on the steering wheel - I bought one which was similar condition wise and used Pears soap. Worked so well I did the seats with it too.

Reactions: riz

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sport Button now retrofitted.
Pretty easy mod for anyone that is interested, also makes the Cooper D FAR nicer to drive - it changes the steering/throttle maps.

No Button
51145049114_94a22d7693_c.jpg

£30 of parts
51144488883_91555b089f_c.jpg

Junction Box location (for BMW this is a JBE, for Mini its a SPEG)
51144271841_40b389140c_c.jpg

Location of X14272 connector:
51145374710_7941022d9a_c.jpg

Basic instructions are as follows:
1. Remove centre console and fit new buttons
2. Fit wire between PIN 3 on the Sport button connector and to PIN19 on X14272
3. Fit wire between PIN 4 on the Sport button connector and to PIN22 on X14272
4. Put all trim back together.

New button
51143594637_9e8ccb0cc5_c.jpg

5. Fire up laptop and NCSExpert with latest Datens, use Expert Mode to add $4UF to the VO on CAS/FRM, then SG_Codieren to default the SPEG/EPS/KOMBI (Junction Box/Electric Power Steeeing/Instrument Display) to factory settings with the new $4UF (Sport Button) added in. The instructions on the NAM website suggest to "process car" but that isnt required, just those 3 modules are affected, so easier/quicker to do them individually.
51145049079_57f5c3b1bb_c.jpg

6. Press Sport Button, smile at your DIY excellence
51145049069_fd7537aa71_c.jpg