ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey,

So a few of you may know me and the previous Clio I had on here that I sold a few months ago.

I've decided to try something a bit different to what I'd normally do and I'm going to fit the K20 into the mk3 Mr2.

I've watched a fair few videos with them in and they look to be great fun so why not? How hard can it be?

Bought the car from @Mr Burns yesterday and have the full mount kit on the way. I've also ordered the shifter mechanism to allow me to retain the mr2 gear linkage for usage with the civic 6 speed gearbox.

Going to be fitting an m factory diff too as they're so cheap it would be rude not to.

I doubt I'll be fully stripping it as I want something usable too and not a fan of the nvh when driving to and fro tracks.

Excited is an understatement, let's spend some money ?? love it

Big things to order are
Custom shafts
Engine and box, loom
Standalone ecu
Exhaust, that'll be the killer.

Cheers x

Pic from yesterday.

IMG_20190520_184145.jpg

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a decent base car that mate. K20 is defo the trickier and more expensive conversion option versus the drop in 2ZZ but its also the better engine with its higher peak power and torque output and it being so damn tuneable. There's literally nothing for the 2ZZ apart from FI.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys!
Just ordered the m factory diff

Getting all the parts together ready for a weekend of fitting soonish. Well... Need the car first hahaha

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  182-RS2
These MR2's seem to be getting popular all of a sudden.

Picked mine up a few weeks ago with a busted gearbox for cheap, now fixed i'm really enjoying it. It's decent enough with only 140bhp, definitely quicker than the book times suggest of around 8 second to 60, more like sub 7 seconds.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this after your Clio build, was always the first thread I looked for in here.

Good Luck...

Jon-r87

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio f1 r27
Danny DC2 the Youtuber has a black one of these with this engine swap.

I think he had problems with drive shafts, having said that i believe civic shafts work.
I believe a gearbox mount is not the best so keep an eye on it.
The exhaust manifold can be used but the rest of the system has to be made.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
These MR2's seem to be getting popular all of a sudden.

Picked mine up a few weeks ago with a busted gearbox for cheap, now fixed i'm really enjoying it. It's decent enough with only 140bhp, definitely quicker than the book times suggest of around 8 second to 60, more like sub 7 seconds.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this after your Clio build, was always the first thread I looked for in here.

Good Luck...
I'm glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the kind words regarding my last thread. That's really nice to hear.
Danny DC2 the Youtuber has a black one of these with this engine swap.

I think he had problems with drive shafts, having said that i believe civic shafts work.
I believe a gearbox mount is not the best so keep an eye on it.
The exhaust manifold can be used but the rest of the system has to be made.
Cheers bud. I will be going complete one piece shafts and probably custom exhaust from the same guy who did my meg clio build.
Another shout for DannyDC2, his content is mint and hes a Yorkshire lad so doesn't f**k about being a gimp.

I believe he used Civic shafts and the MR2 outer CV. Cant wait for this to get expensive and proper mental for you @dann2707 ?
It's already cost me a fair bit but I want to do it and once I get a bee in my bonnet I will always do it. It's an issue I have but I get s**t done. I don't want to be known as that guy who always said "I want to do this one day" I'm more of a... I will do it now kinda thing.

Can't wait

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
  Civic
Few of us have good Honda knowledge if you need anything.

Defo get the chain and tensioner swapped, can get an uprated tensioner. Can fit an FD2 oil pump I think, also fit an RBC manifold could do the throttle body aswell. Stick a kpro on and could make 230/240bhp. If you really wanted to go mad you can go down the K24 bottom end from the accord and EP3 cylinder head. Then when your bored fit a rotrex on it and run 350 Bhp :)

Good luck and if you need anything give me a shout.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 are you planning on changing to track tyres on the OE rims or buying a second set of track wheels?

I ask as i'm going to be removing the NS2R's from my OE wheels and replacing with decent wet weather road tyres so if you are thinking of fitting track tyres then maybe we could do a wheel swap depending on what tyres are on yours?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Going to use this thread to keep track of the bits I've got so I can keep track.

Ordered:

Mfactory diff
Engine mounts
Gear shift adapter brackets
Universal k swap loom

Looks nice from the side with the hardtop on the door is a different colour though lol

Calipers need to go silver too I reckon.

IMG_20190523_195805.jpg

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Looking forward to this. Mad the hardtops are worth so much!

What you gonna do about sourcing an engine? Just buy a car with a k20 in?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Good news

I've been speaking to someone who's doing the same swap as me at the moment. He's managed to source custom drive shafts for the civic gearbox and mr2 outers for a great price. These are one piece ones.

Bad news

First exhaust quote is £1500 from where I got mine done on the clio. That's a lot of chicken breast.

Good news again though

My dad picked up the phone.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
  1993 micra
Nice project Dan,
For the exhaust buy a 2.5'' cheap second hand on ebay for any vehicle, order some stainless 90 + 45 deg bends cut and tack weld yourself with mig, then remove it and find someone local to tig it together for you,
It'll cost you £300 tops then further down the line if you're chasing the last 5hp have nice one made.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
K100 ecu ordered and on the way

Sold the hard top too so that guy is collecting it this week.

I think I've found a donor car I am going to use as it has the inlet manifold and throttle body I want.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Your going back to a soft top or does the donor have a hardtop?

DannyDC2 has just put is MR2 K20 up for sale.. £9k he wants for it.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for the long delay, it came with a hardtop and I wanted to sell it and go to soft top. It's only fibreglass so wouldn't have helped in a crash.

Got my mounts and Lsd today after them being on back order from America. How exciting

IMG_20190709_224111.jpg
IMG_20190709_224128.jpg

Old Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
s**t, forgot you were doing this. My track car has just been broken for bits. Engine had a baffled sump aswell