ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Well mucho progress made, this is much easier than the manifold as expected haha

Got the tube in at the angle I want. Welded the feet onto them, drilled holes in the floor ready for welding and that!

Making use of the angle finding machine which is just absolutely incredible. Haven't used it in anger yet but for referencing each angle it's amazing.

Made mine and ethans lives easier on Sunday now as all we need to do is the final bits etc.

View attachment 1452035View attachment 1452036View attachment 1452037View attachment 1452038View attachment 1452039View attachment 1452040View attachment 1452041View attachment 1452042View attachment 1452043
Make the noise!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
On the cage, what spreader plater material are you using. I think it was 2-3mm I used. Quite heavy and difficult to work with form folding etc but is what is expected from a competition car as per the MSUK.

I would also want to triangulate the cage back to the rear of the car. Assuming that’s what the notching is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
On the cage, what spreader plater material are you using. I think it was 2-3mm I used. Quite heavy and difficult to work with form folding etc but is what is expected from a competition car as per the MSUK.

I would also want to triangulate the cage back to the rear of the car. Assuming that’s what the notching is for?

3mm it should be.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

3mm plate. Yeah as I've said a few times the cage is nowhere near done. Finishing it on Sunday...

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Still not been up the car to get you some pics mate, apologises.

Only ones I've got of it is from Oulton when it went pop. Which only give you the height. You could just but some box sections under your legs to raise it slightly.

Screenshot_20200201-080206_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200201-080234_Gallery.jpg

0ss

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 is it that low to clear the roof? Obviously the higher the better but if that's as high as it will go then it's better than nothing right?
You've done a cracking job with the transplant BTW. 🤞It works👍.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
  NORTHERN MONKEY
This is what you're aiming for Dan,
if it clears then all good, if not see if the seat will drop, if that doesn't work a hardtop and removing the soft top should allow you to lift the hoop slightly

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: 0ss

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Love the idea for working out the cage notches. I would be tempted to put the cage in to msa spec and box the bottom.
It's just if you fancy racing at some point.
It will only add ease to turn it into a race car and value if you sell it at a later date.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 is it that low to clear the roof? Obviously the higher the better but if that's as high as it will go then it's better than nothing right?
You've done a cracking job with the transplant BTW. 🤞It works👍.
Cheers bud, it is close by about 4mm which is ideal really!
Will you fire it up this weekend Clive?

Potentially Steven, just need to do some tidying of various other bits!

As long as the harnesses line up correctly I don't really mind. Haven't rolled a car in 11 years of driving so far

0ss

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at that mx5 I'd get a bit of string on it and see where your head will be if you did end up upside down. We all wondered how you could flip at Blyton when that megane went over so I wouldn't dismiss it as not a possibility mate.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
MR2 mk3 has reinforced windscreen pillars, but as mentioned everything thing has a fail point. For me being over 6ft my cage needed to be tall. You get a few more cm with a gutted hard top so used this to increase the height of main hoop.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at that mx5 I'd get a bit of string on it and see where your head will be if you did end up upside down. We all wondered how you could flip at Blyton when that megane went over so I wouldn't dismiss it as not a possibility mate.
Yeah you're right never say never and all that.

But at the end of the day I wasn't even going to have any form of roll over protection so this is better than none at all. The cage is well above my head

Reactions: 0ss

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cage build with @leeds2592 went so so well today. Managed to get 80% of it done before I ran out of mig gas which I was expecting at one point. Not the end of the world and I'll come to it later next week.

So happy with the fitment, it's very strong.

Got a few more welds to do on the frame as you'll see and weld the cage platforms in.

What a day!

IMG_20200202_195854.jpg
IMG_20200202_193100.jpg
IMG_20200202_203829.jpg
IMG_20200202_200247.jpg
IMG_20200202_203443.jpg
IMG_20200202_144531.jpg
IMG_20200202_144534.jpg
IMG_20200202_200314.jpg
IMG_20200202_194710.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Header tank is complete after some bits arriving.

Fitted the oil catch can and routed all the pipework to it. Engine bay is almost finished pretty much

Waiting on my thermostatic plate to arrive for the oil cooler

Had a bit of an oil leak from what appeared to be the Rocker cover gasket. Found out this by removing the cover and finding some hard sealant from when I ddi the timing chain and put that cover on with honda bond

Put back on and ready to test soon

IMG_20200203_194702.jpg
IMG_20200203_195649.jpg
IMG_20200206_191506.jpg
IMG_20200206_191511.jpg

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, I've just bought that cheap on the DVLA site.

Awsome thread btw. Possibly my favourite on here currently. Top Skills.