ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to order some 12mm marine plywood and make myself a splitter at some point too seeing as though the front end still needs a bit of work

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
More pics of the process! Was annoying getting them to line up in the end. Ended up welding nuts onto the chassis for the red pegs to screw into. Rather than faffing with having a nut on the inside of the chassis

View attachment 1470911View attachment 1470912View attachment 1470913View attachment 1470914View attachment 1470915View attachment 1470916View attachment 1470917View attachment 1470918View attachment 1470919View attachment 1470920
You appear to have removed aerocatches and welded up the holes in your bonnet. Cant even tell 10/10

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I can't wait to get this thing on track, went out earlier for some essentials and wow it handles incredibly well even on shite as hell tyres, I feel like 90% of the population when selling a car but it handles like its on rails, pulls like a train, fastest one I've had

Quick before and after, gotta say I love the hardtop but to me the fun of this is that it's a convertible and I can go cut some hair at 9000rpm if I want

Next steps will be new wheels and tyres, facelift side vent and splitter.

IMG_20190520_184145.jpg
20200503_145639.jpg

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
"pulls strong in all gears..."

Will the new wheels pad the arches out a bit more. Or spacers? Think it'd look sick, with a bit more of a wider track. Not that it looks s**t.

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks brilliant Dan. Love how its sleeper at first glance (apart from the big wang, and not the one behind the wheel) but then look deeper and the amount of custom work you've done shows.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I am sure there is a Cs ballers competition to see who can spunk as much money on there car during cv-19 :ROFLMAO:

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I am just jealous mate lol. Was having a bad year before and cv-19 has just been a kick in the teeth.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Coming along nicely Dan. What wheels you looking at? I've got my eye on the below from eBay with perfect offset for the Roadster ET35.

Also you say your getting facelift side vents? If so will you be selling your current pre-facelift ones? One of mine blew off at Oulton last time out and finding just one red FL one is impossible, lol.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I am just jealous mate lol. Was having a bad year before and cv-19 has just been a kick in the teeth.
Sorry to hear that dude. Did you manage to sort out the Twingo in the end?
Ps I saw your rallying post btw, it was nice to see that as my dad has been rallying since he was 18 (he's now 64) and given it in for the past 4 years but I've been there from day dot basically holding the torch getting shouted at. He mainly raced Novas and Astras back when they were cool.
I can't even count how many VHS we have of him and the days we used to go to, really was an awesome experience looking back. At the time it was a bit of a nusience for me as I wasn't thaaaaat interested in rallying/cars as my dad didn't really include me because I was quite young.
Coming along nicely Dan. What wheels you looking at? I've got my eye on the below from eBay.

Also you say your getting facelift side vents? If so will you be selling your current pre-facelift ones? One of mine blew off at Oulton last time out and finding just one red FL one is impossible, lol.

Cheers mate. I want some team dynamic 1.2s ideally mate. Those look nice though are they light?
Yeah I will be sticking these up for sale mate, consider them yours for cheap.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear that dude. Did you manage to sort out the Twingo in the end?
Ps I saw your rallying post btw, it was nice to see that as my dad has been rallying since he was 18 (he's now 64) and given it in for the past 4 years but I've been there from day dot basically holding the torch getting shouted at. He mainly raced Novas and Astras back when they were cool.
I can't even count how many VHS we have of him and the days we used to go to, really was an awesome experience looking back. At the time it was a bit of a nusience for me as I wasn't thaaaaat interested in rallying/cars as my dad didn't really include me because I was quite young.

Cheers mate. I want some team dynamic 1.2s ideally mate. Those look nice though are they light?
Yeah I will be sticking these up for sale mate, consider them yours for cheap.
That's great mate, just drop me a PM once ready to sell (y)

The above wheels weight 7kg which isn't bad. TD 1.2's will look great though. Just make sure you don't get an offset lower than ET35 as they're rub on the arches as I found out with these ET20's :LOL:

20200501_132624.jpg

My OZ's are ET37 and fill the arches out nicely.

1588675962458.png

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That's great mate, just drop me a PM once ready to sell (y)

The above wheels weight 7kg which isn't bad. TD 1.2's will look great though. Just make sure you don't get an offset lower than ET35 as they're rub on the arches as I found out with these ET20's :LOL:

View attachment 1471729

My OZ's are ET37 and fill the arches out nicely.

View attachment 1471742
Hold my mole they stick out a shed load!!
I wouldn't have imagined it to look like that at et20 :eek:

The bottom pic looks good though is that on 15s?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered some polybush pairs to compliment the ARB with an idea to get them all done at once when they arrive.
Ordered the following:

Front wishbone, front bush - SuperPro
Front wishbone, rear bush - Whiteline (went for the version that adds some sexy lil caster too)
Rear trailing arm bush to subframe - Polybush
Rear trailing arm bush to hub - Polybush

I already have 7V x 2 for the control arm and 7W and 7S are being included in the ARB kit so the next ones to refresh are 7R if they work with my ARB set up.

Should make it handle nice and tight when done. I absolutely swear by refreshing all bushes on a car, I did my 182 in black series and it was just incredible handling wise.

1588773937985.png

Off out on the bike before I end up spending more dollah

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  182-RS2
Yeah 15's (7J/ET37) mate. 225/45/15 rear - 195/50/15 front.
That picture makes me wish i still had my red mr2.

The rear really 15, looks bigger than the front, like it's a 16inch in that picture? I know facelift cars run 16x7J rear and 15x6J (i think it's 6J front) as standard.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  182-RS2
Ordered some polybush pairs to compliment the ARB with an idea to get them all done at once when they arrive.
Ordered the following:

Front wishbone, front bush - SuperPro
Front wishbone, rear bush - Whiteline (went for the version that adds some sexy lil caster too)
Rear trailing arm bush to subframe - Polybush
Rear trailing arm bush to hub - Polybush

I already have 7V x 2 for the control arm and 7W and 7S are being included in the ARB kit so the next ones to refresh are 7R if they work with my ARB set up.

Should make it handle nice and tight when done. I absolutely swear by refreshing all bushes on a car, I did my 182 in black series and it was just incredible handling wise.

View attachment 1472106

Off out on the bike before I end up spending more dollah
Do you know about the Door Bushes available for these. it's basically a bush that wedges in to the door shut area to give the body more rigidity. I've no idea how effective they are, but a lot of people rave about them on the MR2 forum.

Found a link: https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/...ct-as-trd-door-stabilizers-40-shipped.126338/