ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
That picture makes me wish i still had my red mr2.

The rear really 15, looks bigger than the front, like it's a 16inch in that picture? I know facelift cars run 16x7J rear and 15x6J (i think it's 6J front) as standard.
Yeah 15's mate. They do look bigger don't they.

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know about the Door Bushes available for these. it's basically a bush that wedges in to the door shut area to give the body more rigidity. I've no idea how effective they are, but a lot of people rave about them on the MR2 forum.

Found a link: https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/...ct-as-trd-door-stabilizers-40-shipped.126338/
Got them on mine, no idea if they work or not TBH. As you say people rave about them though. They would make more sense on a soft top MR2 given the lack of rigidity over a hardtop

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  182-RS2
I guess they're 3D printed, so Dan could always make his own.

I bought a set for mine and never fitted them before i sold the car.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I've never heard of those but I'll look into it. Cheers

@JB21 no I haven't considered brakes yet as I don't know how bad or good these will be. I've heard they are really good as standard tbh. Think dannydc ran standard brakes with just uprated pads

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
  Civic
There is a famous quote from a MX5 engineer when asked, what is the first thing you would do to a car with 60k on it and he said I would change all the bushes. I'm in firm agreement with you and pending results on Golf will probably do the same.

Re brakes, I think it's a light car and although its extra 80/100bhp with your cooling ducts etc it will be fine with a pad upgrade I reckon. If not plenty of oem upgrades about.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I can't actually see an imagine of these bushes anywhere 😭😭 as soon as I find some ill start mocking a set up. Need them for measurements or where they actually fit 😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Well I'll be damned. (not disputing that your suggestion is pointless at all and I'll always try new things) but this review is a little crazy 😂😂😂 I can't believe that a small plastic insert in each door can lead to this American dudes review:

On my '01, more confirmation that these make a surprising difference. Installation was easy. Strong pops on both sides, driver's side a little hard to open at first but have yet to apply the wax. Chassis is already reasonably stiffly braced (FTSB, RTSB, middle blue frame thing) and sprung (unknown coilovers). The ride previously could be best described as go-kart crashy and what felt like very little suspension compliance, just bang-bang-bang over anything other than smooth roads. After installation, everything felt 'solid'--speed bumps weren't the distinct separate hits to front and rear, felt like everything was connected. Feels like considerably softer struts and springs (!) with normal-car oscillations rather than immediate front/rear separated bangs. Everything at speed is notably quieter apart from the usual points where wind noise starts to make itself present and, oddly, the body vibration that used to render the rear view mirror more of a suggestion than an indication has been largely damped out. Not quite the chassis solidity of a Boxster yet but maybe in shouting distance of an old Merc or Volvo.

Turn-in feels a bit crisper. There's a touch more body roll (twice almost nothing is still almost nothing) but definitely very slightly present. It feels a little more like a road car instead of a track toy, a touch more sedate when not indulging in permagrin. I'd say the comfort increase alone makes it WELL worth $40 and 5 minutes--especially since the handling remains unaffected if not slightly improved! Thinking this will have a high spousal approval factor

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  182-RS2
Can't help with measurements, but there is a YT video in the link i posted above on fitting instructions, highlighting placement.

Maybe @JB21 can provide a starting point for measurements from his set.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Well that was 75% a penis to remove. I've removed the wishbones and anti roll bar on the front in preparation for the new bushes arriving
Overall for a 17 year old car it's not too crusty under there but I will be properly undersealing it when I can.

2 hiccups though.
The antiroll bar mount on one side is held on with 2 bolts. These sheared off so I had to drill them out. The threads are still there which is good.

Hiccup two, the wishbone front Bush bolt had siezed in the Bush which was a total knob. I had to cut this off which still didn't give me much leeway so with some heat I unsiezed it and it fired out.

Wishbones and arb is now off and I'll begin pressing the old bushes out tomorrow.

I'll start on the back too tomorrow. Happy days

20200508_133044.jpg
20200508_133051.jpg
20200508_133103.jpg
20200508_133113.jpg
20200508_133118.jpg
20200508_133139.jpg
20200508_143942.jpg
20200508_145245.jpg
20200508_153405.jpg

Attachments

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Mate, with the snapped off bolts.. if there is nothing stopping them wind them into the hole rather than extraction... will be much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Bad news today regarding the whiteline arb. It turns out everywhere doesn't have them in stock and they need to be ordered in from whiteline. That wouldn't be so bad however they are ordered in from the other side of the world.... Australia. 8 weeks lead time apparently.

So I got a refund back from the original place and I called around to see if anyone else had it actually in stock which they didn't, another company said they don't however they can beat whitelines current 15% off deal and give me 20% off bringing the total from £277 to £223 which I may take them up on tomorrow. I will have a 4 to 5 week lead time though.

What do people think?

In other news a new toy arrived to help with the removal of bushes and wheel bearings.

All I can say is... Why didn't I get one sooner??
It made removing the old bushes in the control arms and hub an absolute breeze. No more setting things on fire, cutting a slot in and chiseling! It'll help with wheel bearings in the future so should pay for itself quite nicely.

Unfortunately the set doesn't go down too small so I had to use an impact socket for these on one side but I'll take that. Coated it in acf-50 to try and protect it.

Just waiting on the front wishbone caster bushes and front inserts now and I can get it back together

20200513_151841.jpg
20200513_155833.jpg
20200513_161534.jpg
20200513_161839.jpg
20200513_162338.jpg
20200513_162441.jpg
20200513_164951.jpg
20200513_165453.jpg

Attachments

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I have one of those type of bush puller kits.

On really tight bushes you'll want to grease the threaded bar to make it a bit easier.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I have one of those type of bush puller kits.

On really tight bushes you'll want to grease the threaded bar to make it a bit easier.
Ahh really? Th ts what I linked to the other day in the thread haha

Yeah it was fully greased with cv poly grease, can see it on the table in one of the images. It's great stuff for stuff like this where there's compression.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Ahh really? Th ts what I linked to the other day in the thread haha

Yeah it was fully greased with cv poly grease, can see it on the table in one of the images. It's great stuff for stuff like this where there's compression.
I used mine on the Clio rear beam bushes and managed to get it slightly off straight and ended up bending the M8/M10 bar 🤦‍♂️

Managed to get a metre of 12.9 grade rod for cheap though and just cut it down to replace it.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I used mine on the Clio rear beam bushes and managed to get it slightly off straight and ended up bending the M8/M10 bar 🤦‍♂️

Managed to get a metre of 12.9 grade rod for cheap though and just cut it down to replace it.
Haha thats a good idea mate. These are definitely china's worst chinesium 😂😂😂 in all honesty I just got them for the drifts as I already have a press but having that feature is nice.

Genuinely wonder what grade of steel these threaded roads are, is there an easy way to check?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Haha thats a good idea mate. These are definitely china's worst chinesium 😂😂😂 in all honesty I just got them for the drifts as I already have a press but having that feature is nice.

Genuinely wonder what grade of steel these threaded roads are, is there an easy way to check?
Don't know how you'd check tbh.