ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Few little changes and a nice new little project coming up

Used the new bearing press kit again to fit the caster bushes which was very helpful. I can definitely see me making the most out of this kit.
20200520_131700.jpg

Yesterday I changed the driver side handbrake cable as it had fully siezed, changing it is a b*****d too and much easier than the clios as you have to drop the fuel tank to gain access. Used the milwaukee ratchet to my advantage though and just go in there and squeezed the trigger. Happy days

I applied a load of Acf50 using my favourite crack syringe so it'll be protected in the future

20200522_170126.jpg
20200522_170129.jpg
20200522_170229.jpg
20200522_170449.jpg
20200522_170712.jpg

The up and coming project has been a convo between me and @Akay for a while, it started with another mate thinking of making them but he never fully got around to it so I figured I'll order some bits and go for it.

On the rear of the mr2 there are 3 suspension arms, one for toe, one for trailing and another one I can't remember what.

The standard toe arms are very limited as they use an eccentric washer that pushes up against a very shitly and deformed notch in the Subframe to adjust camber, this is not favourable and the adjustment level is s**t. If you hit anything large it comes out of track. So the idea is to not use that at all and instead use a traditional toe arm steering arm but with a rose joint on one end for the movement and a track rod end on the other, this will be separated by some steel rod that my mate is machining for us.

Because this will be threaded the adjustment will be much better!

The same goes for the camber arm, the standard one as you can see on the pic below (one with the u bracket on the end) is not adjustable at all so again using the same method camber can be adjusted. Rose joint on the other end too for extra race kar fels

To make the u bracket I have ordered some flat bar in the correct thickness and width so I'll be cutting that up and welding the pieces to make the u shape.

The threaded bar inbetween will be left hand threaded on one side and right on the other so to adjust it you need to undo the lock nuts on either end and simply screw the bar one way to lengthen, the other to shorten :) ace!! Can't wait to get stuck in

20200521_190543.jpg

These are the new bits slowly starting to arrive. They're m14 ultra race spec ones from mcgill.

20200523_112318.jpg

Little pic from yesterday
20200523_004115.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah it's worth noting that the arms are already available but they are mega dollah, you're talking £200 for the toe arms and £240 for the camber arms!

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah it's worth noting that the arms are already available but they are mega dollah, you're talking £200 for the toe arms and £240 for the camber arms!
I've got Hardrace arms on mine (3 each side) and non of them adjust camber. Camber bolts only to adjust on mine.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I've got Hardrace arms on mine (3 each side) and non of them adjust camber. Camber bolts only to adjust on mine.
Ahh that's interesting, I was under the impressing they did!!
Did you get the vents okay?

Was gonna say hardrace make the arms. Always ridiculous prices for a bit of machined metal with some cheap rose joints
That's right yeah that's the prices that I'm quoting. f**k thaaaaat

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Few little changes and a nice new little project coming up

Used the new bearing press kit again to fit the caster bushes which was very helpful. I can definitely see me making the most out of this kit.
View attachment 1475858
Yesterday I changed the driver side handbrake cable as it had fully siezed, changing it is a b*****d too and much easier than the clios as you have to drop the fuel tank to gain access. Used the milwaukee ratchet to my advantage though and just go in there and squeezed the trigger. Happy days

I applied a load of Acf50 using my favourite crack syringe so it'll be protected in the future

View attachment 1475860View attachment 1475861View attachment 1475862View attachment 1475863View attachment 1475864
The up and coming project has been a convo between me and @Akay for a while, it started with another mate thinking of making them but he never fully got around to it so I figured I'll order some bits and go for it.

On the rear of the mr2 there are 3 suspension arms, one for toe, one for trailing and another one I can't remember what.

The standard toe arms are very limited as they use an eccentric washer that pushes up against a very shitly and deformed notch in the Subframe to adjust camber, this is not favourable and the adjustment level is s**t. If you hit anything large it comes out of track. So the idea is to not use that at all and instead use a traditional toe arm steering arm but with a rose joint on one end for the movement and a track rod end on the other, this will be separated by some steel rod that my mate is machining for us.

Because this will be threaded the adjustment will be much better!

The same goes for the camber arm, the standard one as you can see on the pic below (one with the u bracket on the end) is not adjustable at all so again using the same method camber can be adjusted. Rose joint on the other end too for extra race kar fels

To make the u bracket I have ordered some flat bar in the correct thickness and width so I'll be cutting that up and welding the pieces to make the u shape.

The threaded bar inbetween will be left hand threaded on one side and right on the other so to adjust it you need to undo the lock nuts on either end and simply screw the bar one way to lengthen, the other to shorten :) ace!! Can't wait to get stuck in

View attachment 1475859

These are the new bits slowly starting to arrive. They're m14 ultra race spec ones from mcgill.

View attachment 1475866

Little pic from yesterday
View attachment 1475865
The MR2 looks fantastic there Dan

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The MR2 looks fantastic there Dan
Cheers mate!

Nice 15s to finish it off and I'm happy

Just been for a spin to Asda and I had a few feels, the first one being... Holy s**t this is awesome. I pulled out of a junction and the back end just came out fully expectedly with my right foot input, it was fully linear and the amount I got out was directly proportional to how much I put in which was a lovely feeling.

The second was how well It actually handles, the turn is in epic which I guess is down to my rear toe in, its hard to explain but it feels like the rear is overtaking the front when turning so to speak. That's not oversteer I'm describing btw 😂 I feel that with a front engine fwd car the rear follows where the front leads but this is different, it's almost like the rear is steering when turning.

I took off from a set of lights and wanted to "test the rev light" and I was gone, it's not torquey at all, it doesn't massively shove you into the back of your seat but it feels controllable and just right.

Was giggling so much and on the way home thinking I haven't had this much fun since I was in the n/a clio 182! Really nice knowing I've done a lot of it myself, learnt so much and it hasn't blown up (yet) haha

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Excited to see these custom elements materialise.
Looking forward to a 2021 low boost build conversion as well....

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys. Yeah haha it will be done I'm sure. If things stabilise job wise i'd be tempted to get another and do it again and turbo it.

Today I've given it a clean, spray wax and finally give the hood some love with some tyre shine. It comes up okay but the whole car has dents and paint over spray everywhere and it may sound silly to say but I actually don't mind it and its cool with me, means I'm not that precious about the outside as such! Don't mind where I park it etc

Few pics!

I'm so confused as to what colour my car is as it looks like it's the non facelift silver after all as the vents I have are facelift silver. But my car
... Is a facelift hahaha I think it just have been sprayed a different colour either thst or @Mr Burns sprayed it the day before I collected it purely to confuse me and make me question it 12 months on haha
20200524_191656.jpg
20200524_191641.jpg
20200524_191620.jpg
20200524_191554.jpg

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Yeah, I had no idea what it was meant to be. I'd lost interest within hours of buying it lol.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
You don't want me anywhere near it with the luck it had with it.
It would probably catch fire...

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
The car ran fine on the test drive and by the time I'd got it home it was f*cked lol.

MR2 Mk3 / Giulietta
You forgot to mention that the rear toe arm balljoints arent replacable, so having a servicable arm would be much more appealing in the long run!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Word dawg!!

So last night I found what could be considered a tiny dribble under the car around the radiator, today I inspected it and well... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I'm astounded that there wasn't a bigger leak. I'm equally astounded that the car maintained its 96 degrees c so well.

A new ones on its way for £35 delivered. Whilst I was there I removed the air con pipework and ac rad as it was never plumbed in to begin with.

Should free up some more space for cooling

I've remounted thr alarm siren too as it was in the frunk compartment as oem which is the lamest place ever, takes up a lot of well needed room.

It's all very rusty and crusty under the bonnet. I'd really like to tackle it soon!

20200528_133608.jpg
20200528_133621.jpg
20200528_133627.jpg
20200528_140129.jpg
20200528_140136.jpg
20200528_140151.jpg
20200528_140159.jpg
20200528_152734.jpg

Attachments