ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Still loving this tread. Keep the updates as you develop it coming.

Out of interest what TIG welder did you buy and did you use any particular material to tech yourself.

I’ve been MIG welding repair panels and restoring minis for 10 years. But my next project could give me some proper fab work to do and thinking like you of picking up the kit and teaching myself the skills rather than farming it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I started on mild steel using the 160amp tig welder from r tech. It's a great starter and is very capable. Nice and quiet too!

Teaching material I used YouTube for everything and the channels I recommend are:

Weldingtipsandtricks. Com
Weld. Com
Chucke9000
Pacificart welding

So much content on there!

If you need any help just shout mate, could talk about welding for days

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Bits arrived. Great quality as expected however they have sent one of the turnbuckles in m10 not m12 so the rose joints won't fit.

I've tested it with the smaller ones I ordered too (actually m12) and it looks ace. Just need the longer ones fitted so I can make sure the bar is parrall with the car.

You can see here it's not quite parallel when on the stiffest setting

20200902_104856.jpg

Then test fit with everything.

20200902_110346.jpg
20200902_121505.jpg

Went for a drive yesterday and even with the ill fitting standard drop links it feels so so good! It is now even more planted going around corners.

The front drop links are standard and soft and squishy so I'll get those uprated too. May just make them adjustable too

The fails:
20200902_112253.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
New bits arrived today (and actually the right ones!) so I installed them and adjusted them to suit the car better. It's hard to take a picture of it in situ but the bar is now flat with the car.

20200903_112026.jpg
20200903_114024.jpg
20200903_114007.jpg
20200903_114032.jpg
20200903_113924.jpg

Quick video to show the sexy adjustability of it

Might go take it for a test drive now.

Ordered front polybushes for the front droplinks too

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You've set the length with the car on the ground i take it?

Usually unlink one end on each side, drop the car down and then set the length of the link so there's no preload on the bar.

Looks a nice touch anyway.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
And the front ones are done. Very very easy to change as you can imagine.

The old ones were past their best so I'm happy!

Done some measurements to make some adjustable ones too.

Got some gloves I'm happy with too, very flexible and not single use either

20200904_122305.jpg
20200904_120416.jpg
20200904_120102.jpg
20200904_115639.jpg
20200904_115623.jpg
20200904_115513.jpg
20200904_115501.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Nice work as usual.

I've been using those gloves for years now, much better than the latex ones.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Chester Zoo in the b*****d today, car drove so well but the rose jointed arbs have taken their toll. Mrs asked why the car was a bit noisier so that's a sure sign that the nvh has gone up. Not ideal for long ish journeys if I'm honest.

Took a pic of it not looking s**t so that's nice

And some animal pics and a leaf for everyone to enjoy

Driving the car on decent roads I enjoy every second of it, it really is bloody fast and when people try it on or think they're quick I go around a corner at basically the same speed as straight on and see them turn into a little spot in the rear view mirror. It's a first for me as my fast cars have usually only been fast on the straights!

20200911_170057.jpg
20200911_161220.jpg
20200911_160400.jpg
20200911_145601.jpg
20200911_151250.jpg
20200911_145514.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to report on this really, just been dailying it doing 15 miles a day to and fro work! Refitted my gashcam

Really enjoying it as a daily as its not uncomfortable and has bluetooth.

Went out today and experienced all the Sunday drivers doing very slow speeds, perfect opportunities for some overtakes.

Gotta announce it prior to doing some vtechks - Mrs hates it hahahaha

I've just asked her now what vtec is and she went "it's when the engine goes vrrrooooooooom, VROOOOMM" Not a bad effort I will admit but she missed the bit off where you have to bounce it off the limiter a bit before the gear change.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Some heroic gear changes there. Mechanic sympathy for the win.

Id like to see this. How can that be arranged? Sleepover?
Or a Yorkshire meet?

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182
Your brakes might be sorted by then

And you might turn up 👀

MY BRAKES ARE SORTED SO f**k YOU!!ONE11!

In all fairness I would have organised another Yorkshire meet but Yall Leeds f*****s can't stop kissing your sisters passionately on the lips so Yall still in lockdown

I'm Wakefield so I'm sound to go bowling and meet anyone I want me....

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I'm not in Leeds.
But I don't want to pay that much for a sandwich. You boys seem high rollers.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I bet he's rushing home because he set the kitchen on fire trying to grab a drink, proper Sim style.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Someone offered to buy the car today for 4k

Engine, box and diff alone comes to £2.2k ish haha

I was polite about it as I guess its not a terrible offer as I said I didn't know what I wanted for it. (I'm not selling btw I just got a random message out of the blue asking if I will sell)

Driving it home today I thought how happy I was with it, proper reliable peen too really.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
Someone offered to buy the car today for 4k

Engine, box and diff alone comes to £2.2k ish haha

I was polite about it as I guess its not a terrible offer as I said I didn't know what I wanted for it. (I'm not selling btw I just got a random message out of the blue asking if I will sell)

Driving it home today I thought how happy I was with it, proper reliable peen too really.
2ZZ ones are £4K.

I think DannyDC2 gave £6k for his and the conversion wasn’t as good as yours mate.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The car read this thread and how I said it was reliable..

Recently got stuck on my driveway with no go go juice coming out of the rail. Filled it up with go go juice and it fired up fine. Strange one as it had a quarter of a tank of go go juice...

I leave work the next day and absolutely nothing again despite having a half tank of fuel so I called the rac out today. Guys properly sound and we're chatting cars loads, I then have a look at the fuel pump relay on the universal loom and there's a bit of corrosion on it, not much at all but a tiny tiny bit of green on the plug. Swap that around with another relay and it fires into life. To prove it out I then swap it back again and nothing! So that's great.

It's really prompted me to make a bracket for the relay as they are currently in the back flopping about like a cheesecake, will get jiggy with it next week and attack it to the bulkhead.

I took the relay apart and it was stuck, fingered it quite hard and now it's free again but it's still off in the bin (obviously)

Rac man's van got reversed into quite hard whilst we were working on the k20 mobile, suppose it could be a bit brighter and more noticeable. Will pm rac asking for them to update their livery to something more obvious.

IMG_20201031_121741.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Glad you've hopefully found the source of the problem, although you did make me laugh the other day saying you put fuel in and it just worked 😂

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
The car read this thread and how I said it was reliable..

Recently got stuck on my driveway with no go go juice coming out of the rail. Filled it up with go go juice and it fired up fine. Strange one as it had a quarter of a tank of go go juice...

I leave work the next day and absolutely nothing again despite having a half tank of fuel so I called the rac out today. Guys properly sound and we're chatting cars loads, I then have a look at the fuel pump relay on the universal loom and there's a bit of corrosion on it, not much at all but a tiny tiny bit of green on the plug. Swap that around with another relay and it fires into life. To prove it out I then swap it back again and nothing! So that's great.

It's really prompted me to make a bracket for the relay as they are currently in the back flopping about like a cheesecake, will get jiggy with it next week and attack it to the bulkhead.

I took the relay apart and it was stuck, fingered it quite hard and now it's free again but it's still off in the bin (obviously)

Rac man's van got reversed into quite hard whilst we were working on the k20 mobile, suppose it could be a bit brighter and more noticeable. Will pm rac asking for them to update their livery to something more obvious.

Looks like you'll get some time to work on it, with today's announcement.

Great that the RAC were decent.
I had a good experience with them too in the saxo. I thought they'd roll their eyes when it was turbo'd etc. But the guy rolled up his sleeves "been ages since I worked on these". Was running in a few mins. Made me feel inadequate like. But hey ho.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be in work no matter what mate, because its medical that I work in we get the exemption passes.

Thats ace haha, I was half expecting this chap to be quite old and turn his head when he saw the big gay wing. Luckily the chap was after an ep3 so that started the convo nicely.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had a spare few hours today so I've addressed the loose relay junction and obd port.

I've changed the gearbox oil too to proper Honda gearbox oil. I previously had Halfords s**t in as I couldn't get hold of the proper Honda stuff at the time.

I'm going to look at recessing the droopy willy exhaust into the bumper soon bit like the clio 182 style as this was always supposed to be temp.

Draining la box oil

IMG_20201101_113242.jpg

Floppy relay harness etc
IMG_20201101_113413.jpg

Then just simply rivnutted it here, and then p clipped them in place after taping up the wires neater.

IMG_20201101_115834.jpg

IMG_20201101_122208.jpg

Functional and fit for purpose, I'll grab an obd cover too just to stop any shite getting in there.

The relays always found themselves down where the cage feet are where its moister than Mary berry's meat pie when she sees a decent Victoria sponge cake, so I'm definitely attributing that to my aforementioned issues.