ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking into this a lot more now, can see that mine are at a stupid angle which is only going to throttle back the engine and with this much time and effort in I'll get something that flows better in there.

I've ordered some 15 degree mandrel bends in to hopefully learn how to do it. Total cost is £36 for 4 so if it does work it won't be expensive at all and gives me an excuse to get the tig out.

Will think of jig / fixture ideas for it to clamp it at the right angle. Shouldn't be hard at all to mock something up and print.

I now have a band saw in my possession so will use that for the sexy ass cut

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So I was borrowing my mates band saw but as its quite big it was taking up a lot of garage space. Ordered this last night for the tube cutting. Got super good reviews and it's relatively portable which is ideal. Can stack it on my shelving units now.

Screenshot_20191107_123507.jpg

Last night I also designed the mandrel bends on cad that I've bought, printed them off overnight so I can have as many practise runs as I want on them.

The next step will be to receive the saw, check out the clamp area and model a jig/fixture to hold the mandrel bed at the angle I require for the merge collector.

The cost of this is racking up but at the end of it I will have a bandsaw and linisher machine for other stuff in the future.

Plus I'm getting so much f**king enjoyment out of it all which at the end of it all is what it's all about.

I'll get pics of it but I also created a cool little fixture that will hold the merge collector straight parts parellel to each other. The pipes just slide into it and are kept apart by 10mm.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Can't go wrong with Starrett stuff in the engineering/measurement world, hopefully the saw is just as good.

A few tips here for bedding in a new blade to increase it's life.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Can't go wrong with Starrett stuff in the engineering/measurement world, hopefully the saw is just as good.

A few tips here for bedding in a new blade to increase it's life.

Thanks for that mate. I'll give it a watch. Love his stuff too, his latest fab table video is one of the best fab vids I've seen on you tube.

These are the spacers I mentioned earlier. Might bring them a little closer together, 10mm looks a bit too much perhaps.

IMG_20191107_182856.jpg

Just received my block of alu for making the purge block for the flange. So happy with jt

IMG_20191107_174739.jpg
IMG_20191107_174748.jpg

Will take it to work and get it machined.

And these are the 15 degree bends I printed last night to have a go on the new saw.

IMG_20191107_182906.jpg

Finally, I made an enclosure for the 3d printer so I can now print abs, badly done as I hate plastic but still it works wonders

IMG_20191107_182938.jpg

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise that band saw was so expensive when you sent me it earlier! Read it as £164 haha, that's gonna be a wicked bit of kit. Super useful too!

Getting expensive this exhaust system, but man maths ;):D

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Dan your gonna need a unit for all your equipment soon lad😂😂. Cracking effort, I hope it works out well.
I know mate 🙈🙈 it is getting out of hand. Cheers man, me too 😂😂 if I f**k it up I'll just pay for an exhaust and claim I made it to save face.
Didn't realise that band saw was so expensive when you sent me it earlier! Read it as £164 haha, that's gonna be a wicked bit of kit. Super useful too!

Getting expensive this exhaust system, but man maths ;):D
Haha mental innit, didn't expect to be paying that much but its something I'll use quite frequently I reckon.

It really is 😁😁 man mathsing the f**k out of the whole build tbh. I'm pretty bad with skills like thst though I tell myself I'll use them later in life, most likely will and its something for the cv too

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182/Mk1 F7P+F4R
Definitely, no precision needed with boost, just crank the psi to compensate

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cut the ends off them, I just need to belt sander on them now to get them nice and straight edged.

Nice comparison between the restrictive ones I bought...

Ebay bought

IMG_20191112_200209.jpg
IMG_20191112_200215.jpg

Mine

IMG_20191112_200230.jpg

IMG_20191112_200226.jpg

IMG_20191112_200202.jpg

Not shocking for my first go at it I don't think

I will end up going over it with the tig with more amps and back purging it at a later date.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Took me ages to work out what you had on your feet. Any respect for you has been lost upon realising. #shame
Do not mock, they are so versatile, comfy, waterproof, a great talking point amongst your Chinese friends, great in combat and most importantly they look amazing.

Who knew looking that great would also be so comfy?

I bought my mate a set last year for a joke and he loves them too, had them on last night before we went out 😂

Screenshot_20191113_064645_com.whatsapp.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Well that was a lot easier than I imagined.

She's out, one driveshaft was slightly stuck so got the hub puller on it and that just laughed in its face.

HJust have to slide it out from under the car now which is easy as it's on the jack.

UUsed the engine crane to aim it and not lift the engine that's why its just on the little tabs at the bottom.

SSorry this is all in hold I pressed something by accident

IMG_20191114_203232.jpg
IMG_20191114_203224.jpg
IMG_20191115_181611.jpg
IMG_20191115_181609.jpg
IMG_20191115_182151.jpg
IMG_20191114_203441.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
She's all out and wrapped up for a buyer.

Minimal rust on the shell found but I will clean it up and splash it with rust preventer. Think it was @frayz who recommended a process on it??

Next steps are to get the engine and box in with the mounts on and that's it so I can start on the exhaust.

Wiring et al will be later on I suspect.

IMG_20191117_140213.jpg
IMG_20191117_140559.jpg
IMG_20191117_140554.jpg
IMG_20191117_142159.jpg