ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR2 K-swap Project

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted another small job today after finding out one of the captive nuts was spinning for the rear anti roll bar.

This is my first crack at panel work and it didn't go too badly tbh.

This was the issue, the nut was just spinning like a massive peen. So I chopped it out

IMG_20191119_141630.jpg

IMG_20191119_142353.jpg

Using paper I then pressed the edges into the paper to give me a template. I then lined that up against some sheet metal and cut it out.
IMG_20191119_143133.jpg

I then lined it up on the car and marked where the hole and nut needed to go

I then welded that on making it captive.

IMG_20191119_150620.jpg

IMG_20191119_151615.jpg

I then lined it all up and held with a magnet.
The next bit is where it could have gone a bit better. When I tacked it the filler rod pushed the plate into the car ever so slightly preventing it from being fully flush. It's not the end of the world just something that happened.

I then welded it in and sanded it down. Bracket fits in there nicely

IMG_20191119_152616.jpg

I've etch primered it and will paint it properly in due time

IMG_20191119_155513.jpg
IMG_20191119_155117.jpg

I also received a new exedy clutch and mocol oil cooler today. Will get that fitted in due course but no massive rush.

Attachments

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Decent. I’ve done loads of panel work over the years. Not claiming to be good at it but owning a classic mini it’s kind of par for the course.

In future. Just keep the captive nut bolted down through the panel. Tack it. Then remove the bolt before welding fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Decent. I’ve done loads of panel work over the years. Not claiming to be good at it but owning a classic mini it’s kind of par for the course.

In future. Just keep the captive nut bolted down through the panel. Tack it. Then remove the bolt before welding fully.

Thanks for that mate. What is the reason for removing the bolt before fully welding? Do you mean remove the bolt before welding the plate to the body or remove the bolt from the nut before making the bolt captive?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you got rubber mounts for the oil cooler?

Worth doing because the vibrations from solid mounting can fatigue and crack the mounting brackets.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I do mate yeah, will be having it nicely dampened. Cheers bro

Fresh delivery!! I wasn't happy with the merge collectors spacing so made a new fixture on the printer that will hold it the same distance apart each cut.

And got the silencers through.

IMG_20191120_105514.jpg
IMG_20191120_105044.jpg
IMG_20191120_105743.jpg

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't mate. Just got the cooler and adapter with my intentions of making my own lines up when the cooler is fitted.

Got loads of consumables in the garage to make something lovely and bracketry.
Nice! Would you be able to re-create the brackets once knocked up? I ask as I don't think there's a bracket kit for the roadster and i'm useless at fabricating. Also I would rather throw you some dosh :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'll see how it goes mate, very happy to do that if it's good to go in someone else's car if you get me. It might just be some square tubing or something random like that πŸ˜‚

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Been in the garage all day, I have no idea where the time has gone. I haven't even eaten which is not like me. Definitely got carried away.

The progress though, f**k me there's been at least 4 of them.

I have... Started making the exhaust manifold 😁😁

I got the 3d printed kit out and started mocking it up and finally came to a design that I liked.

I then squigled on it and started cutting my mandrels to suit. This was the time consuming process but I now have 3 out of 4 to the correct angle.

I ran out of stainless so ordered some more for the last one.

Needless to say I'm happy with today

IMG_20191121_134041.jpg
IMG_20191121_131757.jpg
IMG_20191121_123509.jpg
IMG_20191121_150853.jpg
IMG_20191121_125659.jpg
IMG_20191121_154413.jpg
IMG_20191121_124004.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
How much consideration did you give to the length of your branches and also which ones to pair?

I think your pairing is good. Middle cylinders have quite a short manifold length compared to outer cylinders.

Welding and 3D printing all looking spot on BtW. Good project this.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've been doing a lot of research into it and the consensus is to have the secondaries relatively short before they merge into 1 so that's what I'll be doing. Also the overall dimensions of the tubing I went off the highest performance k20 exhaust there is.
So 1.75 inch to 2" to 2.5" then merge up to 3"

All of the performance exhausts I've seen on a 4 cyl go 1 and 4 together and 2 and 3 together.

Thanks for the kind words

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
Looking good man. I was looking at the icengineworks building kit got put off with the price. So completely winged my manifold. Having the ability to 3d print would have definitely been an advantage, specially for the collector.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good man. I was looking at the icengineworks building kit got put off with the price. So completely winged my manifold. Having the ability to 3d print would have definitely been an advantage, specially for the collector.
I think the kit is good for the money if you are a shop but for a one off it is extortionate.

Thanks for the words btw, 90% welded up the manifold tonight, needs a few little bits doing it it then I can finish it. Just about burnt through 100bar of argon today alone so need that refilling too.

Bad times too, the saw keeps f**king up and the blade keeps coming off so Im getting a refund which is a pain cos I need it for the last bits and it's been a weapon when working but I've had thr back off it more than it has been cutting which is a shame especially when it's Β£470. I knew I had a reject when I had to drill and tap my own hole on one part of it. I got some money back from it already. Very annoying but I'm sure I'll get by without.

Used the back purging kit I'd printed that worked okay until the parts got too hot and started to melt. I'd make them out of 3d printed abs next time as it can withstand a load more heat. Pics show the back purging working really well as it's shiny on the inside.

Overall its been an okay day, bit pissed off about the saw and I wanted to have it fully done tonight which has deflated me a little but it is what it is right. Was willing to crack on tonight but it was 9.30 and didn't want to use any power tools incase it annoyed any of my neighbours.

I made another collector too but this time it's the 2" ready to step up to the 3" system

Random pics. Made an awesome cheese board other night too

IMG_20191124_214036.jpg
IMG_20191124_214103.jpg
IMG_20191124_162428.jpg
IMG_20191124_162433.jpg
IMG_20191124_214023.jpg
IMG_20191124_171510.jpg
IMG_20191124_162441.jpg
IMG_20191123_201202.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Liking the use of the 3D printer to mock everything up, did you flow test it in cad at all?
I didn't mate no, did a bit of research into lengths etc but nothing on cad. That would have been awesome.

So I've finished the manifold for now! Well f**king chuffed. It's been so fun to learn and for my first attempt I'm happy with the outcome

Welded it from the inside where it joins the manifold flange, seen that done a few times then just a few seams on the outer edge.

I think what I'm going to do is get some silicone bronze filler and braze the outside. Apparently thats better than welding as it allows it to flex and expand slightly.

Got the rest of the exhaust to do next

Treated myself to a new... Slightly larger argon bottle too.

IMG_20191126_225805.jpg
IMG_20191126_224433.jpg
IMG_20191126_225848.jpg
IMG_20191126_224423.jpg
IMG_20191126_202425.jpg

Hello Howard Speaking

ClioSport Club Member
  Mx5 NC
Well you'd expect the cylinder to easily fill that garage if it had a major leak, I'd definitely want an oxygen sensor in there if that was my house.

It's inert but that doesn't mean it won't kill you.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Well you'd expect the cylinder to easily fill that garage if it had a major leak, I'd definitely want an oxygen sensor in there if that was my house.

I thought you were thinking explosive wise.

Yeah it could kill you but should be alright in the garage.

Only if you're stupid enough to stand in the garage for over 30 mins while it a full room. We have 147l 300 Bar IG55 cyllinders (50 of them) for the DC at work

The room is designed to withstand the full release pressure and then hold the gas for a minimum of 20 mins. I doubt Dan's garage would hold all of that gas for 10 mins even with the door shut and a blanket laid down in front of it πŸ˜‚