ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My R53 Mini Cooper S.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Bit confused as to where those pictures have just gone? They're still on Flickr? Hmmm.

edit - oh they're there again. Must have been a glitch with my internet.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I still really like this... What's the MPG's like if your wring it's neck all the time? I can't help but feel if I own one it'd be driven at 95% 100% of the time.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I still really like this... What's the MPG's like if your wring it's neck all the time? I can't help but feel if I own one it'd be driven at 95% 100% of the time.
I find it's not far at all from what my 182 was mate. Low/mid 20s when you're on it, mid/high 30s on a long motorway run.

Great all rounder to be honest!

M135i/TT/Herald
40+ is easy on the motorway, but wring it's neck all the time and I don't see above 20mpg. I'm averaging around 35mpg with economical town and regular motorway trips.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Expensive lens I take it?

What mode do you use, manual?

I stick it on Auto and away I go :eek:
No mate, just the 35mm f1.8. I had to pay extra for the autofocus with my camera not having a motor, but still it was only £125 from eBay.

Today these we're taken on auto as I found it difficult getting any decent photos with the bright cloudy sky. Then just touched up very slightly in Snapseed.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd shove these in here too to keep it updated. Taken today after a quick wash.

I should have a fair few updates over the next few months, things have been put back due to having other stuff to pay for recently.

12748213693_769b9b183c_c.jpg

12748084635_3bf9f93a42_c.jpg

12748083675_b62e5154c0_c.jpg

12748081945_28aa4e17a6_c.jpg

12748084275_5c61dd47a3_c.jpg

Last edited:

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered 2 new tyres to replace my low fronts. I've gone with Kumhos again to keep my matching tyres OCD happy and also because I've been very impressed with them. My plan when I first saw the car was to replace them but they perform very well indeed.

Great value at under £70 a corner. They'll be fitted Monday.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
A quick question!! The R53s have 6 gears right ? Was just wondering at what RPM you are at around 70mph in 6th ?
I know it's a wierd question lol :eek:

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Finally an update.

I wanted to wait until my first MOT with the car before making any changes. I do this with all my cars when I first get them just to make sure they're tip top before spending elsewhere. So down it went to Mad4Mini and it passed with flying colours!

After the good news and the small bill, I went looking for the first modification I wanted to do to the R53 - a set of R56 S brakes. Basically on the R53 as standard the brakes feel quite underpowered and was the only downside I've found. The GP and JCW model came with the JCW callipers, bigger discs and uprated pads which were a massive improvement. Mini obviously saw the error in their ways and fitted this kit as standard to the 2nd generation (R56) of Minis. These are a very popular upgrade for the R53 on the Mini forums and appear for sale quite often.

I managed to pick up this full set on MiniTorque from a guy who was returning his car back to standard to sell:

14248320580_6c59451b3e_c.jpg

14433799354_ff01cb6459_c.jpg

And down to Mad4Mini to fit.

14433597852_e6ed093555_c.jpg

All I can say is wow. Completely different. The braking is so sharp and responsive now, feels like someones slung an anchor out of the window compared to the spongy uninspiring feel before. I can see why many regard this as one of the best mods for the R53, they should have come from the factory with this setup!

So, the car is now ready for more power...

Not yet. Mine already had a smaller pulley and Miltek exhaust. I've bought JCW brakes, wheels, whiteline rear arb, OMP front brace, springs and scangauge. Going to 1320 on Friday for a check over before doing anything else. That and wait till I actually have some money!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Not yet. Mine already had a smaller pulley and Miltek exhaust. I've bought JCW brakes, wheels, whiteline rear arb, OMP front brace, springs and scangauge. Going to 1320 on Friday for a check over before doing anything else. That and wait till I actually have some money!
Sounds good mate. Bonus on the exhaust and pulley, they're my next few plans I think! I look forward to seeing a thread on it.

I know but they were £40 and with my arch gap I had to try them!

I'm going to get arrested for human trafficking if I don't do something soon.

Mini_zps0c526791.jpg
I still struggle to see the issues with decent springs.

Mine on Eibachs & non-RFs rides and performs very, very similarly to my 182 did on the same springs, which on here are a popular choice. For the type of driving I do, they seem perfect.

Car looks good @daveski :)

I'd like coilovers but then you seem to need adjustable control arms and top mounts to sort the camber out afterwards and it starts to get expensive.

I'll do it at some point but might be next year, I want to take the car on a road trip to the south of France in August so saving for that. The non-RFT's make a big difference, as do lighter wheels. Can't wait to get the Whiteline on.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I still struggle to see the issues with decent springs.
I'm just MT trolling :eek:

They all berated me for fitting 17's to the GP without coilovers, but it still handled like a go kart & would out corner most of their cars anyways. Next one has Meister R's fitted, but the first thing ill be doing it raising them up a bit lol.