ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nickw88's 430D M Sport

BMW 430D M Sport
I haven't really got many pictures to showcase but thought I'd put a few images up as I've owned it for a couple of months now.

Not got plans to do much to it as I've gone past throwing endless money at a car, I just wanted something quality and comfortable with good fuel consumption bit of go in it. It's being remapped next week which I expect will push it up to circa 210 bhp based on other stage 1 remaps but that will probably be it for the foreseeable future. I just want to enjoy driving it as it is!

null_zps56507f1f.jpg

null_zps618c898c.jpg

null_zps053c3b1e.jpg

null_zps5cfc36aa.jpg

After a steady 25 mile drive

null_zps5dc7ac2d.jpg

One next to my girlfriends GT

null_zps8beb7d3b.jpg

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Theyre kind of cool these IMO, GTD, very modern.

But like a lot of "modern" things, they just don't seem right. Maybe it's because I'm from 'up north'

Whats the retail on one of those?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
those wheels come from halfords? Rest is nice though.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000
My MRs has a 11plate Leon FR 170 DSG.

Does the GTD have a newer, more efficient engine as my the Leon won't return more than 45mpg which IMO is pap for a diesel?

BMW 430D M Sport
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess price depends in mileage, they were £500 less than the equivalent GTI when new but seem to have held value better due to lower running costs etc. You're looking at £18k plus now I'd imagine for the spec I have.

The alloys are optional extras, they're 18" charleston shadow ace, the same as on some of the bigger VW's. They're very marmite but I really wanted them. Girlfriend and a few of my mates hate them tbf.

As for economy, I average 46 mpg and that's mainly daytime town driving in 4th at best but with a good run on a night time. It's easy enough to hit high 50's and low 60's though cruising in 6th on a motorway.

Overall I'm really happy with it, especially when it's only £135 per year to tax and less to insure Thani 182 was!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess price depends in mileage, they were £500 less than the equivalent GTI when new but seem to have held value better due to lower running costs etc. You're looking at £18k plus now I'd imagine for the spec I have.

The alloys are optional extras, they're 18" charleston shadow ace, the same as on some of the bigger VW's. They're very marmite but I really wanted them. Girlfriend and a few of my mates hate them tbf.

As for economy, I average 46 mpg and that's mainly daytime town driving in 4th at best but with a good run on a night time. It's easy enough to hit high 50's and low 60's though cruising in 6th on a motorway.

Overall I'm really happy with it, especially when it's only £135 per year to tax and less to insure Thani 182 was!
So it's the same engine then?

ST
Very nice.. tho if i go derv again it'll be a 335d.. The VW diesels are good but lack imagination in comparison to other German derv's.

BMW F21 125d
Hello fellow GTD owner.

I've had mine just over 4 months now, use it for my daily 32 miles each way commute and I've not had it drop below 51mpg average over a whole tank which returns around 570 miles for about £72. Mines white, but I love the colour of yours too.

Edit - Just re-read my old thread now and realised we'd compared notes on that one too! Xenons & DRLs would really finish it off, but I'm sure when I briefly looked it was going to be a 2 grand option? I'd rather spend that on a holiday!

Last edited:
  BMW 430D M Sport
Hello fellow GTD owner.

I've had mine just over 4 months now, use it for my daily 32 miles each way commute and I've not had it drop below 51mpg average over a whole tank which returns around 570 miles for about £72. Mines white, but I love the colour of yours too.

Edit - Just re-read my old thread now and realised we'd compared notes on that one too! Xenons & DRLs would really finish it off, but I'm sure when I briefly looked it was going to be a 2 grand option? I'd rather spend that on a holiday!
Yeah I posted up in there before! I assume its still treating you well then?

I've seen a few online that are replicas and seem to be very reliable and have good reviews but even those are coming in at nearly 1k which is mad really. I've found replicas without the DRLs at a much better price but not sure whether I'd regret not having DRLs after spending a few hundred quid. Decisions decisions....

BMW F21 125d
Yeah I posted up in there before! I assume its still treating you well then?

I've seen a few online that are replicas and seem to be very reliable and have good reviews but even those are coming in at nearly 1k which is mad really. I've found replicas without the DRLs at a much better price but not sure whether I'd regret not having DRLs after spending a few hundred quid. Decisions decisions....
Did you upgrade your standard DRLs and headlights to Xenon white ones instead of standard dull? I haven't.... Keep meaning to do my DRLs, or turn them off in MFD.

Yeah it's an ideal car for me, I've done about 4000 miles in it now and was going to take it to the Nurburgring but my co-pilot as was wants to take his S2000. It really suits my need at the moment, every now and again I crave the power I used to have (M3 and 370z) but in 99.5% of real life driving you just don't need it. I'd recommend it to anyone, I like the look of the MK7 GTD too, but I'm not going to upgrade for the additional 14bhp and 20lb/ft.

BMW 430D M Sport
Did you upgrade your standard DRLs and headlights to Xenon white ones instead of standard dull? I haven't.... Keep meaning to do my DRLs, or turn them off in MFD.

Yeah it's an ideal car for me, I've done about 4000 miles in it now and was going to take it to the Nurburgring but my co-pilot as was wants to take his S2000. It really suits my need at the moment, every now and again I crave the power I used to have (M3 and 370z) but in 99.5% of real life driving you just don't need it. I'd recommend it to anyone, I like the look of the MK7 GTD too, but I'm not going to upgrade for the additional 14bhp and 20lb/ft.
Well i know a 182 is considerably less powerful than your previous cars so not the best comparison but I've not noticed any real loss in performance. If anything I'd say its better as it'll pull much more strongly at any speed. Once the remap is done I reckon I'll properly shift

As for my lights...Yes and no. I bought some led side lights and fog lights to try and create my own DRL effect but they threw up error lights even though they were canbus ones. I posted them back today and have bought some osram intense blue ones (4300k) which I'm hoping will arrive in time to fit this weekend whilst I'm off work.

Once they're in and working i'll post some comparison photos up. Tbh if they're white enough that may answer my cravings for xenons but we'll see...

I'm not a massive fan of the mk7, I think it looks a bit boring and can't really see the extra power being that noticeable tbh. Maybe my opinion will change once I see one on the road. I hope not though!

BMW 430D M Sport
Finally got my remap done today and what a difference. It wasn't exactly a slow car before and going by the rollers was over 180bhp before starting but it's like a totally different car now.

Massive improvement in low range pull and seemingly continuous pull almost right up to the red line.

I know not to believe everything the piece of paper says but I can say whatever the gains are they're certainly noticeable and put another fresh smile on my face.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

BMW 430D M Sport
A few people have said similar things but not sure why, maybe it's just different technology used? I'll be honest I don't know how it's done but the guy seems well known round here and is really down to earth and sensible so trusted his advice. He does alt of VAG stuff and sounds like he knows what he's doing pretty well.

Even replaced the ecu snapping screw thing with a genuine VW one so it doesn't look like its been done and should be undetectable by VW software. Hopefully not just bullshit so we'll see.

BMW F21 125d
10 bhp and 20 lb/ft up over standard sounds a fair bit to start with but still good gains made over the range. I'm probably not going to bother whilst its still in warranty. Will be interested if it improves your economy too.

BMW 430D M Sport
Warranty was obviously a massive concern but I'm willing to take the risk. I'd imagine there are thousands of cars having this done whilst in warranty and most probably never have issues. Fingers crossed I'm in that category!

Economy is quite low right now but that's to be expected (average of 38 since resetting yesterday) but tbh with the way I've been driving it I'm still chuffed with that! Once I've got over the initial fun in sure that will rise quite considerably. I'm expecting another 3-5 mpg on average from what I was getting prior to the map.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
What mpg were you getting round town before remap and after Nick ?
How much was the map ?

Car looks great by the way :approve:

BMW 430D M Sport
What mpg were you getting round town before remap and after Nick ?
How much was the map ?

Car looks great by the way :approve:
Thanks Dave, I really do like it. I've not owned that many cars in my life but its by far the best in every way.

I've been getting around 46 mpg and that's based on 70% town driving 30% rural/motorway so pretty happy with that. In comparison I was averaging 34 mpg in the Clio when doing mainly rural driving with commuting every now and then.

If I can push towards 50 mpg I'll be a very happy man considering.

Nimbus Megane R26
Nice car and good gains on the remap. Dad has a Golf GT exactly the same as your girlfriends :)
But tbh I cant see why anyone would buy a golf when you can get a seat leon FR with exactly the same spec as a golf GTD for £5k less. My 12 plate FR has xenons, front & rear parking sensors, 18's, Same built in satnav/radio system as the golf GTD, cornering lights etc etc..only thing is mine didn't come with leather but I didn't want it too as im not keen on leather. Would have been nice if they were part leather like the 182 FF seats. I went down to oxford from Manchester way last weekend and absolutely tanked it down there and got 50.7mpg..if I was in my R26 I had that would have been sub 20 mpg I love it hah. But if you have the dosh, I guess the leon wouldn't get a look in! :)

ian 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I really like the car,such a nice colour.

Good gains on the map too.

BMW 430D M Sport
Nice car and good gains on the remap. Dad has a Golf GT exactly the same as your girlfriends :)
But tbh I cant see why anyone would buy a golf when you can get a seat leon FR with exactly the same spec as a golf GTD for £5k less. My 12 plate FR has xenons, front & rear parking sensors, 18's, Same built in satnav/radio system as the golf GTD, cornering lights etc etc..only thing is mine didn't come with leather but I didn't want it too as im not keen on leather. Would have been nice if they were part leather like the 182 FF seats. I went down to oxford from Manchester way last weekend and absolutely tanked it down there and got 50.7mpg..if I was in my R26 I had that would have been sub 20 mpg I love it hah. But if you have the dosh, I guess the leon wouldn't get a look in! :)
No that's a fair point and one that's been made by other people too. I think it stems from the fact that I've always loved VW and always wanted a Golf. If I was doing the mileage I'm now doing I'd have bought a higher mileage R or GTI, I just love the look of them. I guess it's all personal taste really.

gally

ClioSport Club Member
Really nice mate. I like them in White and Red also. Always look really good on the road and decent running costs as you say.

Focus ST 225
Golf has a vastly improved interior over the Leon, much better residuals with a respectable image. Reasons enough to buy a Golf over a Leon imo.

BMW 430D M Sport
Really nice mate. I like them in White and Red also. Always look really good on the road and decent running costs as you say.
Love both those colours too however felt candy white was too common and tornado red best left for a GTI. Nearly bought a white one though before I found this, that had the xenons too but no touchscreen or leather hence why I didn't go for it.

Golf has a vastly improved interior over the Leon, much better residuals with a respectable image. Reasons enough to buy a Golf over a Leon imo.
Being easy to resell and retaining value are big plus points for the Golf. Definitely a more quality finish from what I've seen although will admit nice never sat in an FR, only seen the pictures.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
Great cars. Will boost incredibly hard when it's mapped. Much like the pd130, a 165/180 map from blacksmoke is very good. Just make sure you are running boost which is slightly lower than the turbo max to ensure you maintain the reliability. That's what I'd recommend anyway.

Force mother to get a mk6 tdi due to the great depreciation compared to the petrol models.

Do the map yourself. It's like RS tuner for pennies

http://www.blacksmoke.co.uk/170BHP-Remap-files(2871342).htm

BMW F21 125d
But tbh I cant see why anyone would buy a golf when you can get a seat leon FR with exactly the same spec as a golf GTD for £5k less. My 12 plate FR has xenons, front & rear parking sensors, 18's, Same built in satnav/radio system as the golf GTD, cornering lights etc etc..only thing is mine didn't come with leather but I didn't want it too as im not keen on leather.
Being easy to resell and retaining value are big plus points for the Golf. Definitely a more quality finish from what I've seen although will admit nice never sat in an FR, only seen the pictures.
Agree. Residuals will be higher on the GTD than the Leon FR. You pay a premium for the brand, it'll hold its value. Interior does let the Leon down a little, the new ones are a slight improvement but still not on par with a the golf IMO.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
I'm getting a new Leon FR TDI in 3 weeks, can't wait :)

Leon Cupra 300
^^ Nice one. The new Leon's are a lovely looking thing. Nicer than the Golf IMO. There's some cracking lease deals available on them too.

don't even see that they drop any more than the Golf's on the 2nd hand market as a % of their new cost.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Mines tax free, so already mega cheap :) I've not even seen (only pics) on or driven one lol, ordered it blind.