ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nickw88's 430D M Sport

BMW 430D M Sport
If it goes on and off intermittently it's definitely the MAF that wants replacing.

I had the same issue with mine - I kept putting it off but when I eventually changed it, it felt like a new car.
Cheers, I'll keep my eye on it then. If it comes on again tomorrow I guess I'll have to get it done!

BMW 430D M Sport
Right, I've cleaned my MAF and reset the ECU, the EPC light went off and stayed off for a fair while so thought it was sorted. Now it's back on and has pretty much stayed on for the last week and I've covered a fair amount of mileage during this time due to visiting family over Christmas etc so don't want to risk doing any serious damage.

Rather than splashing out for diagnostics at a garage, I'm going to give it a go myself. It's not something I've done before so will be a learning curve for me. I've seen plenty of cables with software on eBay, all around £10 but not sure a) whether they'll be up to the challenge and b) whether any of the software included will be up to the task and most importantly run on my mac (I don't have access to a windows pc).

Can anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Luckily for you you only need the HEX cable rather than CAN so the cheap eBay cables are fine. As for the software running on Mac I don't know. Most people I know who use diagnostics on Mac use a VM or boot camp to run Windows on it.

BMW 430D M Sport
This is all new to me, I'm not in the slightest technical when it comes to computers, I have no idea what boot camp is lol

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
This is all new to me, I'm not in the slightest technical when it comes to computers, I have no idea what boot camp is lol
Boot camp is a feature in Mac OS that allows you to have a partition on your hard drive for a Windows install so you can boot your macbook into windows when you turn it on or into Mac OS.

BMW 430D M Sport
Can somebody give me some guidance on this please? I've downloaded an app to run my diagnostics (it was only cheap so I appreciate it won't tell me everything) however is showing no fault codes which is not what I expected as the EPC light is still on, even though it goes off from time to time.

These are the screenshots I managed to get although the numbers were jumping around a little and couldn't get one shot with everything showing a reading. I'm a complete novice to this, can anyone give me any feedback on what it's showing?

1e62cee0810ffb61c23bea44b7091879.jpg

bca244e86f4910bf19d068d66167d855.jpg

96bbd0945a014991a0376d6df9ad1096.jpg

bd271a347c621adfa9f981a90c4bb9cc.jpg

e03449bd23bf527bc4be0825d5b6efb2.jpg

BMW 430D M Sport
Well, I think I've answered my own question now...

After a bit of googling, it looked likely to be a faulty brake light switch. Got the OH to check them and yep, no brake lights at all! I've done about 1500 miles since the light first came on...oops!

I'm genuinely surprised I've not been on the receiving end of road rage because of it, especially after my 2x 350 mile round trips to and from Portsmouth between xmas and new year!

BMW 430D M Sport
I'd imagine they do, although nothing's ever lit up. That said, various forums pointed me to this issue and none of those mention a bulb out light either, just the EPC light.

BMW 430D M Sport
Incase any one is interested, it's now fixed. Only cost me a small amount of blood and £8.99 for the switch. Could have cost me a lot more if I'd have let Audi loose on trying to figure it out, they were useless when I first spoke to them!

BMW 430D M Sport
Thread bump!

Not really a huge amount to report here as after a failed attempt to sell the TT earlier this year (to be honest I didn’t really push it and was being optimistic on price) I’ve had little motivation to spend any money on anything other than general motoring.

That said, I’ve had problem free motoring (bar a couple of small niggles which have mainly been fixed) and am doing approx 1500 miles per month now so racking up the miles. It wouldn’t be so bad other than the fuel cost for my mileage! I must admit it’s been bloody brilliant in the heavy snow here this week too and has been good fun when going sideways!

Anyway, the reason for me posting is to ask about a Parrot kit. At the time when I bought the car the seller wanted a few hundred quid to keep the kit he had fitted but as I planned to upgrade the headunit I didn’t bother with it and knocked it off the price. As I now plan to keep it until spring (I plan to sell then) I wouldn’t mind adding a cheapish kit to enable use of Bluetooth and music streaming. The previous owner removed the parrot box but there is already a usb and jack connection in the glovebox and a mic fitted by the rear view mirror so I was hoping I could just get a cheap second hand kit and use what I need from it then sell the rest on if it’s worth it. Unfortunately I don’t know what model was fitted before, does that matter? Also, do any of you have other or better recommendations? I certainly wouldn’t want anything pricey as it’ll only be short term until I sell it.

Finally, if any one is interested in buying now then let me know, I’d still sell for the right price and am willing to do a good deal for a hassle free sale. I just can’t be bothered with advertising as this time of year as I guess it’ll be a bit of a waste of time hence me planning for the spring.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I’ve already purchased this:

430D M sport auto, 2015 reg with 17500 miles. Pro media, memory seats etc. Just lacking M Sport + and a decent map. Goes well though still!

Now that's more like it !!!
Great choice colour and wheels combo(y)

BMW 430D M Sport
I gave the car a good going over yesterday with help from the little one. Also fitted my rear lip spoiler.

Hopefully if I’ve done a good enough job it should be well protected for a good while now, providing the weather stays reasonably decent! No cabin pics but spec wise it’s auto with paddles, coral leather, memory seats, reverse camera, professional media and piano black dash trim.

So far I’m averaging high 30’s for my day to day commute and work mileage, achieved 52 on a steady 100 mike run and about 25 mpg when booting it around in sports +. The torque is great a lower speeds, not to great at higher speeds but I will be looking at a remap at the end of the BMW warranty which is next January.

A few pics from yesterday:

9881c15830da2064254b04ac2b341f0a.jpg

b6c750a8b4dfead01092b5f16edb9dbc.jpg

c039a92586ce733d64557b652c9799d1.jpg

c860965237ce79b7f4fc8d9ae827e480.jpg

14b0bbf1e715b3104fd1bf35966849bf.jpg

670761a54010d0a0b10c91bdbbd41b7f.jpg

b3d4f5466339afbe972f9c2d804dd241.jpg

4653a671b53aec24047181b5ab2eb3c5.jpg

f5b41d69e5b3fa2dc895b242dc451fc0.jpg

abd1ca264d18835e2ad3e6746c391c14.jpg

65e56176016fafdd718a8e740b953300.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I gave the car a good going over yesterday with help from the little one. Also fitted my rear lip spoiler.

Hopefully if I’ve done a good enough job it should be well protected for a good while now, providing the weather stays reasonably decent! No cabin pics but spec wise it’s auto with paddles, coral leather, memory seats, reverse camera, professional media and piano black dash trim.

So far I’m averaging high 30’s for my day to day commute and work mileage, achieved 52 on a steady 100 mike run and about 25 mpg when booting it around in sports +. The torque is great a lower speeds, not to great at higher speeds but I will be looking at a remap at the end of the BMW warranty which is next January.

A few pics from yesterday:

Saw you yesterday afternoon mate birmingham new road and black country route looks like you where heading for halfrauds after you finished trying to push that Toyota out the way ?
Car looks good needed a clean thou ?

BMW 430D M Sport
Saw you yesterday afternoon mate birmingham new road and black country route looks like you where heading for halfrauds after you finished trying to push that Toyota out the way
Car looks good needed a clean thou
Haha, oops...might have been me! I have a BMW now though so that’s just standard driving Was on my way to B & Q to get some pots and plants, really didn’t want to have to go lol.

That must have been you in the GTi then? Looked smart.

Yeah it was filthy, gave it a wash last night before the F1 so looks tidy again now.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Haha, oops...might have been me! I have a BMW now though so that’s just standard driving Was on my way to B & Q to get some pots and plants, really didn’t want to have to go lol.

That must have been you in the GTi then? Looked smart.

Yeah it was filthy, gave it a wash last night before the F1 so looks tidy again now.
?Lol yes that was me ! B and q would of been second my guess!
Bet you parked in the far corner ?

BMW 430D M Sport
Haha, I guessed so. I do like Carbon Steel Grey, you’ll probably remember my Mk6 GTD was that colour!

There was an R8 there in one of the disabled bays which I moaned about to my other half, even though I took two spaces up myself. My point though is that at least they were the very end two furthest away from the shop with no one else even near me!

BMW 430D M Sport
Yeah well thanks. Touch wood nothing’s gone wrong and it’s drives really well, especially since having a new set of rubbers and pads.

Pulls well in all gears and is smooth, sounds decent for a diesel, gearbox is brilliant and is RWD with 415 ft-lb torque so can have a bit of fun. M-Sport suspension is pretty good too considering the size of the wheels

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Yeah well thanks. Touch wood nothing’s gone wrong and it’s drives really well, especially since having a new set of rubbers and pads.

Pulls well in all gears and is smooth, sounds decent for a diesel, gearbox is brilliant and is RWD with 415 ft-lb torque so can have a bit of fun. M-Sport suspension is pretty good too considering the size of the wheels
Mrs’ has a 330d touring, great engine and gearbox combination. How many miles have you done in it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW 430D M Sport
Mrs’ has a 330d touring, great engine and gearbox combination. How many miles have you done in it ?

Yeah it really is. Warranty expired over Xmas so a remap will be on the to do list soon.

I’ve done about 12k, bought it on 17.5k and just under 30k now

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Yeah it really is. Warranty expired over Xmas so a remap will be on the to do list soon.

I’ve done about 12k, bought it on 17.5k and just under 30k now
Nicely loosening up then, will be rapid with a map