ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No mains water.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
So we woke up this morning to no mains water.
All the taps completely dry. Thankfully the heating is still running.

Spoke to Yorkshire water and they have no issues in the area. I’m thinking maybe a frozen pipe somewhere. Problem is, the first sign I can see of mains water is where it comes through the kitchen floor under the sink. Can’t see anything outside so I’m guessing everything is under the driveway.

Anyone got any tips or trouble shooting ideas? Could call a plumber but I’m not sure what they could do?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Unfortunately not! Wish it was so simple. I’ve faffed with the mains tap but no joy.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Should be a stop tap outside the property somewhere will be a small manhole type cover with a W on it.
Usually they service a few houses tho so it’s probably your own pipe work at fault.

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
You on a water meter? If so take the reading then check it again later on. Be able to tell if it's a burst pipe on your boundary or not then.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I work for Scottish Water and we are dealing with a lot of issues like this just now as you can imagine.

Check with your neighbours on either side to see if they still have water. If they still have water then it suggests that your supply pipe is frozen.

If it’s frozen there isn’t much you can do till it thaws and like said above, hopefully it doesn’t burst the pipe/any fittings.

If your neighbours are out of water too then it could be a burst main, waters not always visibly rising out the ground. Your local water authority should be able to check a hydrant on the main to see if there is still water in the main.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. According to YW we are on a meter but I can't find it. Next door still have water so as @JezzaMac says, I think my supply is frozen.

Finally above 0 today and a bit of rain so hopefully it will thaw and no leaky.

Ol’ Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. According to YW we are on a meter but I can't find it. Next door still have water so as @JezzaMac says, I think my supply is frozen.

Finally above 0 today and a bit of rain so hopefully it will thaw and no leaky.
The meter could be in the boundary box out in the street, you checked in there?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
The meter could be in the boundary box out in the street, you checked in there?

The small grids? Every house to the right of us has one at the end of the drive upto our next door neighbour. Us and everyone to the left don't appear to.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Burst pipe or just frozen up?

Best have a good check, you don't want a sinkhole appearing.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Just frozen as far as I’m aware. We managed to go through about 65 litres worth of bottled water in about 48 hours.
Good point re a sinkhole appearing! Problem is you really can’t see much. I put the inspection cam down the boundary box and all appears okay. The rest is buried under tarmac.