ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS pipe 172

My local garage fitted replaced the PAS pipe on my mk1 172 recently. I have received my bill but am unhappy. Can anyone tell me how long a job this is and what is needed to be done to fit the pipe. Did they need to remove anything in the engine bay?

Lionel Richie
if its the pressurised line that goes from the pump to the rack, then its a bit of a bugger

the line itself cost £175ish and its 2hrs MAX labour (if you're a dumbass, call it 3hrs)

Lionel Richie
you don't have to remove anything at all from the engine bay

easiest way to remove/refit the pipe is by removing the passenger side wheel and fitting it through the passenger side wheel arch

Lionel Richie
"book" time lies!!! its a 2 hour job if you know your arse from your elbow

but then again, a lot of so called "mechanics" don't

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Book time is something dealers use - this includes dragging the car into the workshop, putting it on a ramp etc etc.....Fred is correct though in what he says - its a 2 hr job - this is how Renault technicians make there bonus !!!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro
huwlj3 said:
My local garage fitted replaced the PAS pipe on my mk1 172 recently. I have received my bill but am unhappy. Can anyone tell me how long a job this is and what is needed to be done to fit the pipe. Did they need to remove anything in the engine bay?

what happened? did the aluminium part of the pipe rupture due to bouncing against a bracket?

This is exactly what happened on my mk1 172 last year

I got a hydraulic manufacturing place to make me up a pipe for 80 pounds

Yes it was the aluminum part of the pipe which had a hole from rubbing against something, they took the engine head off!!! The aprt was £70 and I checked with Renault, this is correct.

Lionel Richie
they took the head off the engine to change a PAS pipe???

erm, ok!!!

there are 2 PAS lines on the 172, 1 is the presurised line going form the pump to the rack = £175

the other i believe is just a return hose = £70 (this one is VERY easy to change

if they took the head off, a) they're crap b) they overcharged you c) go ape **** at them