ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porsche 996 C4s

Keeping in the tradition of people who have had Clio's but linger around with different cars I thought I'd start a thread on my new purchase. Starting off here's my old Clio that I turned from a road car to a track car over the last 5 years. Sadly it had to go to help fund the new car......

50191553586_9e8e6e2cb6_o (1).jpg

Last week I finally managed to buy my realistic (non lottery win) dream car. Here is my 2002 996 C4s manual in basalt black.

B587CA70-655E-4AA4-B264-D20540C073C0.JPG

Having wanting this car all my driving life I made the search harder my deciding I wanted a black/black manual version. There were a few about and I even had a deposit on one way up north but an inspection proved that there was a lot of work needing doing to it. As it stands I’m confident I know every C4s for sale in the country so my heart started to sink a little thinking my search criteria had dried up when I noticed this car on Autotrader had had massive price drop having been for sale for a few weeks. For sale at a garage near to me I’d had written it off due to its horrendous interior (more on that later) but the advert read well. I decided to go and see it and low and behold I think I’ve done alright with my purchase.

It has covered 84,000 miles and has an amazing service portfolio which has mainly been carried out at PARR. The IMS and RMS and been changed relatively recently, it’s has excellent condition N rated Michelin tyres, recently fitted (and/or replaced) MO30 suspension, the list goes on and on. It also has just had a 3 day ‘wheels off’ ceramic coating. For an 18 year old car I’m over the moon with how it looks.

I went for a test drive and driving back I couldn’t think of a single reason why not to buy it (apart from the horrendous interior but more on that in a minute!). The deal was done and last Thursday I went to collect it. The drive home was sensible mainly because I had these items fitted to the roof .….
IMG_3092.jpg
IMG_3094.jpg

That’s right it came with OEM roof box, 2 OEM bike racks, OEM roof rails as well as a fully fitted cover and CTEK battery charger. A little bonus as I had no intention of buying these on their own.

Although the car had been detailed recently it hadn’t been cleaned before me picking it up so on Saturday I spent a few hours cleaning it up and it scrubs up well for a 18 year old car.
IMG_3277.jpg
IMG_3318.jpg
IMG_3331.jpg
IMG_3341.jpg
IMG_3349.jpg

So that’s where we stand. I finally have my dream car tucked up in the garage and ready to go at the turn of a key. I’ll be keeping this thread updated as a diary and record about my adventures in it as we go along. It’s the car I’ll be keeping forever…….

About that interior………..

It’s in great condition but for me it’s got to go! I’ve already sourced a full black interior and my first updates on here will be me swapping it over so I have my perfect C4s specification :)

IMG_3363.jpg

Davyy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Lovely mate. I quite like some of the crazy interiors.. saw a green on green yesterday 😂

Mine is black on black, and it’s good because it doesn’t look as dated as some, but I like the sports car look of some bright colours. Which seats have you found? I’d love some sport seats with the embossed logo.

Lovely mate. I quite like some of the crazy interiors.. saw a green on green yesterday 😂

Mine is black on black, and it’s good because it doesn’t look as dated as some, but I like the sports car look of some bright colours. Which seats have you found? I’d love some sport seats with the embossed logo.
Cheers, I’ve seen your thread knowing I was trying to buy one but didn’t comment as I didn’t want to jinx it!

I was looking for wingbacks but I’ve managed to pick up some standard seats for a silly low price so I’ll run these atm as they’re easy to change. The rest is all black items but I’ve sourced some recently re trimmed alcantara steering wheel, handbrake and gear gater in as new condition.

With everything changed to black the seats will be easier to source as they’re the same as the boxster.

Matt W

ClioSport Club Member
  Suzuki Jimny
Love it. Can just imagine a massive europe trip in it with the roof box filled up on the return journey with belgian beers and red wine

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  F56 Cooper S and 172
As I said last weekend it’s one of the best I’ve seen! Give me a shout when you’ve got the docs and I’ll get those plates sorted

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Thats lovely, and the roof box is additionally brilliant. The interior doesnt even look borwn, it looks Gold and horrendous.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Love it.

I'm pretty sure that even I could look beyond the melted 996 headlights over time.

And that interior - do you not just want to travel back in time and backhand the original buyer right across the face, for making such a decision?? :p

Love it. Can just imagine a massive europe trip in it with the roof box filled up on the return journey with belgian beers and red wine
One of the reason I bought it was to do some big Europe adventures so the box might come in handy

As I said last weekend it’s one of the best I’ve seen! Give me a shout when you’ve got the docs and I’ll get those plates sorted
Thanks for the kind words. Once the logbook comes back I'll send over the details ready for the plate change (y)

Love it.

I'm pretty sure that even I could look beyond the melted 996 headlights over time.

And that interior - do you not just want to travel back in time and backhand the original buyer right across the face, for making such a decision?? :p
Honestly how anyone could order one of these new and opt for a colour like that is beyond me. I'd like to meet that person and understand why!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Looks great, I love the roofbox/bars look.

I'm guessing you could run a bike rack on the side of the box too, proper euro tourer then!

Looks great, I love the roofbox/bars look.

I'm guessing you could run a bike rack on the side of the box too, proper euro tourer then!
Yeah it’ll all fit on. These are all the bits it came with

048A2010-E1E8-409E-A88D-8FB3042E0573.jpeg

We’ll see if I get to use them because if I’m travelling across Europe it’ll be me and the Mrs so there’s a lot of room in the rear which means we can still go autobahn speeds...... 😉

Thanks for the kinds words . Turns out the arguable ugly generation of 911 has some fans.

First little adaption tonight. The car came with a CTECK MXS 5.0 charger which is a smart bit of kit which not only charges the battery it keeps it topped up ready to go. I purchased a quick release clip for it so it’s simples to plug it in when not in use

19C65C96-C459-4F39-84F0-0DBD971052C2.jpeg
93662EE8-F1A4-488C-89DD-6B0BE31E980A.jpeg
5C9B8245-AADB-4A0B-AE07-9C9D95AF7FC3.jpeg

JoePeps

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I love that! And the interior, if you fit a black steering wheel then the rest will look perfect in my opinion!

S1 106 XS
Any plans to make it RWD by removing the tailshaft? It’s a thing as far as I understand.

I could live with the interior but it wouldn’t be my first choice. To get it all black though, it looks like there’s a lot of parts to swap! Are you getting the gt3 console delete? They’re cool and useful if you have long legs.

I quite fancy a 996 as well, early C2. Not the right time for me so I hope they remain affordable for a few more years.

Any plans to make it RWD by removing the tailshaft? It’s a thing as far as I understand.

I could live with the interior but it wouldn’t be my first choice. To get it all black though, it looks like there’s a lot of parts to swap! Are you getting the gt3 console delete? They’re cool and useful if you have long legs.

I quite fancy a 996 as well, early C2. Not the right time for me so I hope they remain affordable for a few more years.
This car will be staying OEM to be honest. 4WD is fine for me and its not crossed my mind going 2WD.

RE the centre dash, I’ll be keeping the lower section as I have a double din head unit so the climate control sits in the lower section nicely

B44AB926-7173-4B39-991A-E2C64E25FE41.jpeg

If you’re thinking about buying one then do it if you can. I mulled over it for months if not years and opening the garage today made me realise I’d done the right thing

More on the interior in a minute.....

I’ve collected all the items for the interior swap. Having OCD I’ve spent all of the weekend cleaning every single item to go in the car. Mrs is well happing she has a full car interior in the house...

As mentioned above I’ll be keeping this OEM but I have opted for a couple of upgrades. First is an alcantara roof lining. The rest is non OEM and is an alcantara re trimmed steering wheel, hand brake and gear gater.

C263F33D-ABB2-42D9-807A-69AC05E4BE22.jpeg
4FB75944-FF32-48DE-A5A1-A4084B880E3F.jpeg
2E023FF3-BE78-459E-89EC-C15288F07C5D.jpeg
54FCEA01-A224-44DA-811E-3503091AB78B.jpeg

If the weather holds out I’ll be swapping it all out next weekend as I have Mon- Weds off works aswell.

Last one, I took it out out the garage to do an essential food pickup tonight. This car has already become my happy place

F3EA6BD8-B855-420B-ADE2-CCD1E86131AC.jpeg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Who would even do that? Just but a carrera 2 they are half the price.

I think the C4s is the sweet spot, for a lot of manufacturers the model just below the top is usually the better day to day car.

No replacing it all
oh ok, atm £1500 but I spent a lot on the uprated steering wheel etc mentioned above. Also I’ll have a return for the old interior so might even break even, who knows??

Note I still want to upgrade to wingback seats but there’s no decent ones for the correct £££ atm