ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Hillclimb / Sprint Car

Where's that pace come from, James!? I'm impressed though dude, great stuff!

Cheers mate I was chuffed and definitely faster on final lap until locked up and missed corner, hopefully more to come.

I'm putting it down to loads and loads of hours in lockdown sim racing on ps4 plus having 4 matched OEM springs and dampers so car feels massively different (mainly not feeling like its rolling over at every corner) vs last year.

Last edited:

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Cheers mate I was chuffed and definitely faster on final lap until locked up and missed corner, hopefully more to come.

I'm putting it down to loads and loads of hours in lockdown sim racing on ps4 plus having 4 matched OEM springs and dampers so car feels massively different (mainly not feeling like its rolling over at every corner) vs last year.
Definitely down to the improvements you've made imo ..I was the same last yr .. had my tracking done , changed a few worn bushes and the difference was a few seconds ..you dont realise how sloppy it is until you change the worn bits ..

True its most likely those. I also went karting and took 2 seconds off my pb, got on leaderboard so I'm curious if there is something in sim racing even if its just tiny improvement in muscle memory/reactions.

Or more likely I was just massively slow to start with 😂😂😂 so finally getting half as quick as other people

So final race of season booked for 10th October going to have a try at a Javelin Sprint Series race at Cadwell Park. I'll be in J10 class which is 1800-2000cc NA road cars so lots of 172/182/mx5 as usual but its more like MSUK road going class as all sorts of mods allowed (ITBs, lsd, coilovers, 1b tyres) as long as under 210bhp.

Also paid for first time ever for an android app, RaceChrono Pro connects to phone, GoPro and OBD to give lots of options to analyse laps for very little cost... tested on road tonight (hence dark rainy view sample below).

Screenshot_20201003-194042_RaceChrono Pro.jpg

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Enjoy Cadwell! I did a trackday there years ago, absolutely amazing circuit. I haven't done any Javelin events - for some reason I have a deep unquestioning loyalty to Motorsport UK!

RaceChrono looks interesting. A couple of years ago I bought an Aim Solo2 DL lap timer and data-logger thing. High frequency GPS, it reads the OBD2, sounded like a great idea - but couldn't get it to work properly for speed events. Probably operator error. I'll have a read about RaceChrono.

Cheers, will let you know how well it works next week (and how accurate). Seems to have all main hillclimb and sprint tracks mapped on it including Curborough. Worth a try for £15

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I did a Javeline event at 3 sisters and tbh it was a breath of fresh air, no timing struts,approved overall gloves helmets etc which is ideal for someone wanting to have a go without all the MSA faff.
Dont get me wrong I still wore my overalls,gloves etc but some of this is overkill in the road going classes.

I did a Javeline event at 3 sisters and tbh it was a breath of fresh air, no timing struts,approved overall gloves helmets etc which is ideal for someone wanting to have a go without all the MSA faff.
Dont get me wrong I still wore my overalls,gloves etc but some of this is overkill in the road going classes.
Good to know. I'd read usually get 6/7 runs so at least bit more chance to learn circuit as first event there. The rules seem at bit looser as think there target building a base of trackday drivers moving into competition vs MSUK seems more reliant on slightly niche following they already have.

My first visit to Cadwell Park last weekend and my first Javelin Sprint Series race.

It was really well organised and nice friendly bunch of people. A huge mix of cars from mad aero turbo GT86 to Revo S3 thats being promoted lots on social media to Time Attack Evos.

The class structure is very different to MSUK so in the class I was placed in J10 can have up to 210bhp, cage, diff, ITBs, coilovers, big brakes, and road legal semi slick so I knew I was not going to be on their pace but suprised how close I got.

It rained all night before and all morning then started to ease off. You get 2 sighting laps in a convoy which was my only chance to to over the mountain sadly at only about 40mph so no air for me. The 1 untimed practice and 6 timed race runs. On the practice I wanted to get a feel which meant a short trip on to the grass at the hairpin.

Then timed runs went, 2.07, 2.03, 2.01, 1.57, 1.54 and I was going to really push last run but the heavens opened and 1.55. I therefore ended 5th out of 5 in class. 1st was 1.48, 2nd 1.51, 3rd 1.53, 4th 1.54 so not a million off pace given difference in specs of cars.

Here's a few photos (got 24 of my car) which get included which is quite cool too...

2020-10-15_06-46-49.jpg
2020-10-15_06-46-53.jpg
2020-10-15_06-46-40.jpg
2020-10-15_06-46-08.jpg
2020-10-15_06-46-02.jpg
2020-10-15_06-45-20.jpg
2020-10-15_06-44-59.jpg
2020-10-15_06-46-20.jpg

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
That looks great. Well done for being so close to the others, that seems a really good effort particularly for a first visit to the circuit.

I did a track day at Cadwell in about 2009 in my 205. Such a fabulous circuit. Would love to go back.

What was the course? Pit exit to pit entry? Any videos?

Cheers. Start line was just after mountain, so could cut through from paddock / assembly area direct to start line and finish half way between Mansfield and the Mountain so can coast back up into paddock. That allows them to split cars by 30 seconds only hence loads of runs.

The gradients were loads of fun, a few lockup in wet downhill (no ABS for us!), then park straight was like a rollercoaster in the dip pushed us down into seat. I have a some videos yeah only 1 overlaid with data as I forgot phone charger and needed to save battery for sat nav to get home 🤣 will pop one up shortly if not too big a file. Think need external GPS but otherwise worked OK.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Its a great circuit and have done a sprint there a few years back in similar condition. Who won your class and what time ? A friend of mine runs a 172 (ex @JohnnyE ) in this class.

Screenshot_20201015-194037_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

These were J10 class times like road going class, J9 are more like mod prod class. The only thing I noticed is as organisation is a bit more relaxed I noticed a few cars my class sneaking out before our class had even been call from paddock 😂. The winner was at least out about 12 cars before me and the only person to improve on last run whereas rest of us were all slower due to rain. He was quickest anyway to be fair just a bit of a difference to assembly at Curborough at least.

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Its a great circuit and have done a sprint there a few years back in similar condition. Who won your class and what time ? A friend of mine runs a 172 (ex @JohnnyE ) in this class.
Isnt his car standard too ?? ..I've seen his name on the three sisters events for Javelin .

As I said on FB I'm tempted to do something like this next year. I need something positive and fun to focus on!
(y) I'd happily go along to some Javelin events next year with you mate. There is a rumour of them considering a one off special sprint event sometime in winter too given the year its been.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Subbed to this thread now 👍🏻
I’d love to do this with my Leon but probably wouldn’t be competitive 😂

Swift Sport
If I had a car that was ready to go I'd be entering, but my Swift needs at least tyres and brakes before I'd take it anywhere near a track.
...I'm on eBay and Autotrader looking for something though!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Sorry mate runs in J08.
Looks like I may have to get another Cup for next year although may just run a 172.

Sadly can't do the evening sprint above as Sheffield goes into Tier 3 tonight so not allowed to race.

Ah well, thats me done for the year. Will spend the winter imagining spending money on race cars I can't afford using money I don't have 🤣

Clio 182
That's disappointing on the tier change. I've just booked on for the night event, wanted to do the one in October but left it too late to book!

So 2021 is here. Happy New Year! So whats the plan for the year ahead?

Car is pretty much ready to go, tucked up in heated garage keeping dry as I'm working from home only comes out on sunny days. Wife's Golf GTI gets all the winter abuse. I'll book in with Mick @ Diamond Motors for service plus ARB bushes as not one for me on the drive I don't think after reading up.

I'll be doing Curborough Championship this year, carried over my entry from cancelled 2020, continuing with Shenstone and District Car Club. 2021 will be best 7 of 10 races (most they've done for a few years to make up for last year). Got my MSUK licence renewed with bit of a discount. I've got an itch to scratch to get a race car or heavily modified road going car but thats not going to be this season focusing first on seat time plus booked on Harewood Academy in spring too for some coaching.

After getting a bit addicted to Dream Car Giveaways I've gone cold turkey on that but entered a few motorsport competitions. Race Line Competitions have a full season in a Fiesta ST for £20, Team Hard racing have a full season in VW Racing Cup for £8. They also have tickets for an ex BTCC car up but at £26k per engine not realistic as a car I could own 🤣 so instead entered their draw for an ex VW Cup car as could run that.

On the SIM racing front I got my DR/SR up quite high B nearing A/S but then got more and more frustrated with Grand Turismo Sport penalty system now instead race with a group for fun "Team Horney Racing" on Thursday nights. I think Dirt 2.0 is brilliant too but really hard to get quick so playing that more now. On ACC joined NxtGen Racing leagues doing Ginetta GT4 Mondays nights good bunch and close hard but fair racing and so much more realistic vehicle dynamics, learning about car setup too. Plus the Hillclimb UK Virtual Racing group has lots of random events to get involved in. I'm AnnOldMan on PS4.

Hope you all have a good 2021 and see you at some events this year for a catch up 👍

I play it on PS4, think it started on PC first then this year came on to PlayStation and XBox. The NxtGen Racing team have private servers setup for their leagues so can create private lobbies like GT Sport otherwise you're just racing random people been matched with.

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Yeah..sorry I'm making Sunday roast so was a brief question 😅..I've got it on ps4 , but with you saying ginetta I presume its a mod ..but just realised they are in the game already ..I like the daily races tbh in gts..its just pick up and play ..Great racing and not too .much faffing with set ups ..the penalty system can be frustrating sometimes , but mainly I think its fair ..

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
I won one of the nations races last week ..by .007 of a second..that was a great race ..real adrenalin for my armchair 😁